T-bird 1.4 VS XP 1900+

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Did I do something wrong here... I just upgraded from my Tbird to my XP 1900+ but I sware there is like zero change infact a few things seemed to load slower... What did I do wrong.. This was all on my A7V266-e I am running a A7V333 so I cant change back to the Tbird even if I still had it to run benchmarks to really see the diff...

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The 1900+ is about 20% faster than a 1.4ghz tbird, although even then its hard to "notice" during normal use.

Did you reinstall your os? You should always reinstall when replacing a motherboard, and there is debate on if you should reinstall when upgrading the cpu(to take advantage of sse2 etc).

As for your slower loading, new motherboards may not be bios tweaked the same as older motherboards, go through your bios and make sure everythings set up optimally, also reinstalling the os will help the slower loading as well.(if you havent already).

Furthermore, any motherboard which can run an axp will run a tbird, so you could go back if you wanted to(but you shoudlnt, the 1900+ is much faster trust me).

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Cool thanks for the info I havent reinstalled my win XP since I added the motherboard (today) I did do it when I added my CPU

How should I reinstall windows without reformating?
Even when I just reinstall windows I will need to reinstall things right (I just dont want to do this again lol I hadn't done it for like 2 years then I started upgrading things and toying with other things and I have had to reformat & reinstall windows about 6 or 7 times in the last 4 months lol

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I think you can just reinstall it and copy over it, just like windows 98, fiddle around, you dont have to reformat to reinstall.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
My bet is you have something in your bios set up wrong, like ddr timings or something, or your previous os install for a different motherboard is causing issues.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Um, no, according to AMD it performs similarly to a 1.9GHz T-Bird, but not necessarily 35% because you lose IPC as you increase clock speed because the FSB becomes a bottleneck more and more.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
A "bottleneck" merely refers to the slowest factor in the system. The FSB is the bottleneck with the core system, and the hard drive is usually the bottleneck for the system as a whole.

Unless you can perfectly match up every component, there will always be bottlenecks. It's not that it's a bad thing, it's just the way it works. When you "eliminate the bottleneck", you generally create another, but just less of a bottleneck. If I swapped my IDE drives for 4 15k RPM SCSI drives in RAID 0, then that wouldn't be the bottleneck anymore. Maybe the network would, so I'd have to go to Gigabit. But then my Server wouldn't be able to keep up, so I'd upgrade that. Then the slowest component might be the RAM on my computer, so I upgrade that.

When you talk of a "bottleneck" in a system, it doesn't necessarily mean that that component needs to be upgraded, just that it's the slowest. There will always be a slowest component, that doesn't mean that you have to continuously upgrade.

(In theory you could match up all the components so they run perfectly together, but I don't see that ever happening in practice.)

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
(In theory you could match up all the components so they run perfectly together, but I don't see that ever happening in practice.)

Exactly.

off Topic.
Also "Bottleneck" is also used when on a busy street 3 lanes would turn in to 2 lanes causing traffic issues. Just like a Bottle which has a narrow top and wider bottom.

KG

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates.

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
LOL good monkey (why does that sound sick lol) Thanks for all of the help guys... I just set up my RAID 0 setup so I have a clean start when I formatted and installed my OS on my new hard drives however maybe someone can help me with this...

I will post this somewhere else too but figure I should say it here while I am sorta on the subject... I tried installing Windows XP but it did not see my RAID 0 setup so I had to install windows ME and it worked just fine I am using windows ME right now why would XP not see my Hard drives??

I am bummed I was beginning to like windows XP alot too.

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You need to install your raids drivers at the very start of windows xp's setup, where it says if you have drivers for your raid press f8(i think its f8).