Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
AMDMeltdown thinks that I'm a troll, but how can I be a troll when I'm building a P4 system in 3 or 4 weeks? Yes, you heard me right!

Beside that, I'm recommending the P4 1.6A to all value seekers across Tom's Hardware Community, SharkeyExtreme Forums and HardOCP's HardForum. I'm even helping people understand that the DDR loss of performance myth is just that, a myth. Even the i845D can match RDRAM performance at high clock speeds. I have 9 links readily about how the SiS DDR platform matches or exceeds RDRAM in performance at stock speed and that it can overclock to match PC1066 speeds if anyone has any doubts .

With an Asus P4S533 (which is cheaper than most AMD-compatible boards, I might add) and some Samsung DDR RAM, you can have a system that's as fast or faster than RDRAM and overclocks just as readily for a good $50-$75 less. Is that value or what?

Here are the basic prices in Canadian dollars:

Asus P4S533 $169
512MB Samsung PC2700 $214 (extremely overclockable)
P4 1.6A $232

For a good $615 CDN, which should be less than $400USD, you get a killer CPU and RAM upgrade that's almost guarantee to overclock to 2.4GHz.

Alright? Happy?

Enough is enough!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
You lost me... Your name is AMD Man yep you speak Intel eww =P
Just kidding nice little bit of information you got there

Be sure to post some benchmarks of that system when you build it or if there are any out there with that config I would like to see

I have always used AMD but I have been thinking about trying Intel out not quite sure though

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=977176#post977176" target="_new">Link</A>

I got into an argument over RDRAM vs. DDR and future support, etc, etc, but I did post some interesting links.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

eden

Champion
If only Fredi could hear you!!!
Meltdown is an idiot, I told you, don't base your intelectual knowledge on what he says about you. The guy is depressed, he thinks at his age of puberty he becomes in rage... I can't help but wonder if he gets PMS too...

--
Intel had 2.2GHZ Willies left...I bought one, it powered my entire neighborhood! :smile:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I can find as many benchmark show that I850 is still the fastest with Pc1066 vs any DDR.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Please find new benchmark, they are all old before Pc1066

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

bob18

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
AMD_Man good choice there! But if you can wait, dual channel ddram boards will arrive in a couple of months...SiS 655 chipset is expected to be released in Quarter 3. Supports both DDR266 and DDR333 SDRAM, giving a whooping memory bandwidths of 4.2Gb/s and 5.4Gb/s respectively. :cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Perhaps, we'll have to see. It all depends on whether the dual-channel implementation can help the latency as well as the i850. The fact that it's a different memory technology and a different company doing it could change how it pans out. But I'd be tempted to agree with you.

Via chipsets have the lowest latency from what I've seen, I wouldn't mind seeing a dual-channel DDR platform from them. Or a quad-channel RDRAM platform? Or a quad-channel DDR platform? Or a- sorry, got carried away.

Anyhow, we'll have to see how Via, SiS and Ali handle Hammer, I'd like to see some rather varied options from the three of them.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
I agree with you. It's really up to the companies who befriend Intel except VIA. I however would not understand why Dual Channel DDR might cause higher latencies, over Dual Channel RDRAM PC1066.
However if SiS is really a big fan of P4, then I expect them not to disappoint us with their first DC DDR chipset ever, as they did with DDR333, SiS645,saving over 100$CDN.

I wouldn't however expect any retreat from VIA on Hammer, after all they are AMD's best chipset friend, they always like to come out with chipsets to make the RAM ready, pushing AMD to set their CPUs at higher FSBs if needed. For AMD+VIA, at the moment, they are a good team. For SiS and Intel, excellent friends, both legal and good for any budget or overclocker's line, starting soon with RDRAM chipset or DC DDR. (I would not use DC DDR unless using DDR 333, and that also if latency is lower or equal to DDR266)

--
Intel had 2.2GHZ Willies left...I bought one, it powered my entire neighborhood! :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
I however would not understand why Dual Channel DDR might cause higher latencies, over Dual Channel RDRAM PC1066.

I simply mean that the i850's dual-channel might decrease latency by 30% over single-channel, while SiS's dual-channel might only give a decrease of 25%, and dual-channel DDR only gives 20%. Or dual-channel DDR might give a 45% decrease.

(Purely random numbers)

However if SiS is really a big fan of P4, then I expect them not to disappoint us with their first DC DDR chipset ever, as they did with DDR333, SiS645,saving over 100$CDN.

I've been impressed with SiS's products of late, I expect it to continue as well. Looks like the P4 will have some good support the second half of this year.

I wouldn't however expect any retreat from VIA on Hammer

Not at all, but if they follow the way things have been in the past, their first chipset won't be worth getting. The second should be interesting.

starting soon with RDRAM chipset or DC DDR.

It will definitely be interesting to see the differences between a DC RDRAM chipset and a DC DDR chipset for the same processor and from the same company. Should reveal some about the two different memory technologies (SDRAM and RDRAM). I very much look forward to it.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Not at all, but if they follow the way things have been in the past, their first chipset won't be worth getting. The second should be interesting

Actually with the memory controler on die, there isnt much for via to [-peep-] up, and performance should be relativly the same across the board.

(you know the difference between a kt266 and a kt266a is ONLY the memory controler right?)

Those damn southbridges tweaks will really make via boards speed up ;-)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

This is from Newegg ...

Memory - PC (DDR)
CORSAIR MEMORY 256MB PC3000 DDR RAM 333MHz - OEMCMX256A-3000C2 DDR, PC3000 32x64, Non-ECC, 184-Pin, CAS2 -Unbuffered Requires DDR supported Motherboard - Lifetime Warranty. ETA 4/1/2002. N82E16820145402 $125.00 $125.00
Motherboards - Intel
ASUS P4S533 Motherboard for Intel P4 478 OEM Specifications: Processor Socket 478 for FC-PGA2 Pentium® 4 1.4GHz to 2.2GHz+
Chipset: SiS 645DX North Bridge and SiS 961B South Bridge
ITE 8707F LPC Super I/O Chip
FSB 533/400 MHz
Memory 3 x DDR DIMM Sockets Max. 3GB unbuffered PC2700 / PC2100 /PC1600 DDR DRAM (PC 2700 Max. to 4 banks only)
Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 4X 6 x PCI
IDE Ports 2 x UltraDMA 133 /100/66
Audio C-Media CMI8738 6-chan S/PDIF-in/-out interface
SiS 961B integrated 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet
Form Factor ATX 12.0" x 8.6" (30.5cm x 21.8cm)
FOR BUNDLES ONLY! N82E16813131306 $99.00 $99.00
Processors - Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium 4 1.6A GHz 512K Socket 478 Processor 400MHz Processor Bus
Specifications:
CPU: 1.6A GHz
Type: Pentium 4
Cache: 512K
BUS: 400 MHz
Socket: 478 Retail (Box With Heatsink & Fan) N82E16819116136 $130.00 $130.00

Subtotal » $354.00

This is very interesting! Very tempting too! But... must.. hold... on... to... credit card... must... not ... take ... out... bones... take.. this credit card... and... cut.. it .. up bones. Bones: Jim i'm not a shredder i'm a doctor dammit.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
too bad newegg doesnt make international shipments...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dammit, I keep thinking of traditional chipsets. In that case, screw Via

Actually dont screw via.

The new hammer mobos will be [-peep-] awesome for one reason.

There is only 2 ways for mobo makers to differentiate themselves.

A: features
B: price

Which will give hammer users more robust motherboards with tons of cool extra [-peep-], or cheap fast mobos with no special crap.

NO memorycontroler competition to cause us to buy say a sis735 mobo which sucks only cause the mc is good.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
SiS is the one that's been announcing chipsets with USB2.0, Firewire, etc though. Via has always been a speed-only chipset maker. Once you take that away, there's not much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.