Chipset Discussion P4B

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Ok, this is my attempt to have a worthwhile conversation in the CPU forum.

I am planning on building a new system in a couple months and I was planning on getting a P4 2.26 processor with Intel i850E chipset. After seeing the chipset, I am not really happy with everything they left out. Is there another chipset that would perform as well? I didn't really want to go with a DDR solution.

Any feedback is welcome.

<b><font color=green>Garbage Can?</font color=green></b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What was left out that you cannot add on?

<A HREF="http://chipset.http://www.theinquirer.net/03040204.htm" target="_new">SIS</A> is supposed to be working on a RDR based.

No samples yet and its expected Q3, I have faith in SiS to make projected release date.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Why would I want to be forced to buy add-ons when they could of easily included the new stuff? They did it for the i845e chipset.

eden

Champion
Yes but SiS is also making an even better chipset, a Dual DDR. Unless you have proof Dual DDR is bad for P4.

--
Intel had 2.2GHZ Willies left...I bought one, it powered my entire neighborhood! :smile:

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Mostly USB 2.0. I don't remember exactly the differences were, I would have to reread the articles again.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Some board manufacturers will include the newer stuff on the board anyway. The 2 big differences are the USB 2.0 and ATA133. ATA133 is relitively useless, as only one drive maker supports it, and there is no real performance gain. USB 2.0 will be of great use eventualy, but is still being phased into common use.

I don't need an anti-virus program, I just boil my computer once a week.