Centrino Laptops Available?

Bruce

I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering another
one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.

Am I missing something.

Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.

Thanks

Centrino isn't a processor. It's a marketing label. It includes the use of
the Pentium M processor with the Intel 802.11B wireless card.

Yes, 802.11B.

So, if you have the faster 802.11G or even a combo card --- EVEN if it is
Intel.

It isn't a Centrino.

Smooth move Intel.
"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering another
> one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.
>
> Am I missing something.
>
> Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.
>
> Thanks

Bruce

[posted and mailed]

Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in

> I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering
> another one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.
>
> Am I missing something.
>
> Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.
>
> Thanks

I had to hunt around to find this.

Rather than calling out a Centrino on the selling pages, Dell now says
that Centrino mobility includes the integration of a Pentium M processor,
an Intel 855 chipset, and an Intel Pro/Wireless card.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_centrino?
c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Bruce

[posted and mailed]

Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in

> I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering
> another one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.
>
> Am I missing something.
>
> Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.
>
> Thanks

I had to hunt around to find this.

Rather than calling out a Centrino on the selling pages, Dell now says
that Centrino mobility includes the integration of a Pentium M processor,
an Intel 855 chipset, and an Intel Pro/Wireless card.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_centrino?
c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

I don't agree with you Tom.
http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/more_info/index.htm

> Centrino isn't a processor. It's a marketing label. It includes the use
> of the Pentium M processor with the Intel 802.11B wireless card.
>
> Yes, 802.11B.
>
> So, if you have the faster 802.11G or even a combo card --- EVEN if it is
> Intel.
>
> It isn't a Centrino.
>
> Smooth move Intel.
> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering another
>> one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.
>>
>> Am I missing something.
>>
>> Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.
>>
>> Thanks

I stand corrected. I wonder when they updated the definition. It's been
pretty recently, as they were not allowing companies that supported g to use
the label.

It is still a marketing label
>I don't agree with you Tom.
> http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/more_info/index.htm

>> Centrino isn't a processor. It's a marketing label. It includes the use
>> of the Pentium M processor with the Intel 802.11B wireless card.
>>
>> Yes, 802.11B.
>>
>> So, if you have the faster 802.11G or even a combo card --- EVEN if it is
>> Intel.
>>
>> It isn't a Centrino.
>>
>> Smooth move Intel.
>> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>>I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering
>>>another
>>> one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something.
>>>
>>> Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.
>>>
>>> Thanks

tonys

my d500 with centrino...the wireless is the worst thing i ever seen...i
currently have it disabled and using a dlink wireless bus card.

I have tried all the new drivers and everything...it will lose the signal
after 15 minutes and i have reboot the laptop to reconnect.....

buy a pentium M processor but stay away from centinio....that my
experience.....

tony
>I stand corrected. I wonder when they updated the definition. It's been
>pretty recently, as they were not allowing companies that supported g to
>use the label.
>
> It is still a marketing label
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I don't agree with you Tom.
>> http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/more_info/index.htm
>>

>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Centrino isn't a processor. It's a marketing label. It includes the
>>> use of the Pentium M processor with the Intel 802.11B wireless card.
>>>
>>> Yes, 802.11B.
>>>
>>> So, if you have the faster 802.11G or even a combo card --- EVEN if it
>>> is Intel.
>>>
>>> It isn't a Centrino.
>>>
>>> Smooth move Intel.
>>> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message

>I stand corrected. I wonder when they updated the definition. It's been
>pretty recently, as they were not allowing companies that supported g to
>use the label.

It's only OK as long as you use the Intel wireless card. If you order with
the Dell 802.11g card, you don't get the Centrino sticker.

Oh no. No sticker?

I can tell from all the small Japanese cars with big coffee can mufflers
that what REALLY makes them fast is lots of stickers.

"Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I stand corrected. I wonder when they updated the definition. It's been
>>pretty recently, as they were not allowing companies that supported g to
>>use the label.
>
> It's only OK as long as you use the Intel wireless card. If you order
> with the Dell 802.11g card, you don't get the Centrino sticker.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Centrino is Intels way of saying your computer has all it's hardware inside.
The Pentium M processor and Intels very own wireless card. Otherwise if you
only get the Pentium M processor and for example the Dell wireless card then
you won't get the cute little centrino sticker on your laptop.

"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 Centrino in June. I was considering another
> one. When I go to the Dell site, there are only Pentium M's.
>
> Am I missing something.
>
> Also, if I go to HP, there are no Centrinos, either.
>
> Thanks

And you won't get the extended battery life either. I went with a Dell
wireless card and my son went with the Intel wireless card. He runs
significantly longer on the battery than I do. Same model computer.