Dismantling Retail PIII

Katmaiman

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
I have a PIII 550MHz slot1. Want to get the casing off it without breaking it. Does anyone know how to? Id be really greatful if someone does!
Thanx

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i dont think you can get the case off without breaking it, you have to break the tabs but then you can just glue it back together.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
actually you can and i have done it... <A HREF="http://www.thetechzone.com/articles/p3_heatsink_remove2.htm" target="_new">here</A> is one way to do it (dont go to first page of article... its a dangerous way to remove it).. pretty much, all you do is take a screw (the ones from your case are a good size) and place it under one of those holes (there are 4 on a p3). Then you apply some pressure and one of the legs should pop out... repeat for all four. (the pop WILL scare the [-peep-] out of you because i know it did for me...) anyway good luck.

Word of caution: I did this and it worked for me. I assume no liability if it breaks or something. The processor DID work after i replaced the heatsink.

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

Katmaiman

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
Its ok. The processor could be in cpu heaven anyway. I need to get to the die to see if there is any physical sign of damage, as it had a rather unpleasant experience with a regulation capacitor detonating behind it. No board to test it in just yet! Anyone know if it could've survived? Board is dead and system immediately powered down!