Sign in with
Your question

Start dial up networking on remote telnet console?

Last response: in Windows XP
February 22, 2003 11:29:00 PM

Here is my situation. I have a single server hooked up to the modem that I will call the internet machine. Now this internet machine acts as a gateway to several other machines on my network. Some of the machine run linux and some run windows. Now I used to have linux running on the internet machine but I found it not cabable of doing what I wanted so I changed to windows XP Pro. (Will be windows 2003 server RC2 as soon as I get around to changing it.) Now there was one thing I used to like with the linux. I could telnet into the internet machine from any other computer on my network be it linux or windows and run a command (ifup ppp0) in that telnet console and it would connect to the internet for me without having to go to the internet machine. I could just run the command from whatever computer I was using at the time. Now I want to know how to do something similar for the windows XP server. Because I am sick of getting up every time I want to connect. But whatever you suggest it MUST NOT be a suggestion of changing to linux and it MUST be telnet based because that is just so simple to use. The reason is because I can tell it to connect from any machine hooked to the network no matter if the machine is linux windows dos os/2 or gasp even mac. It is universal with telnet. Thats why I want it telnet.
Thanks
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
February 23, 2003 12:04:04 AM

its not what you want but you can just use the terminal service client to remote control it.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
February 23, 2003 1:10:12 AM

Yes I did try instaling that but I go into add remove windows components to install it but it refuses to install. I need a third party telnet server program (I should be able to find one if I look) what do I need though is instructions to set it up so I can start the dial up networking connection from a terminal console command line. But you are thinking along the same lines as I was at first. But I cant figure out why terminal services refuses to install.
Thanks
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
Related resources
February 23, 2003 1:57:13 AM

No telnet I need. remote desktop connection is no good because I need to be able to instruct it to connect from a few linux machines. Telnet is the only option.
AREA_51

February 23, 2003 2:44:46 AM

Ok I got the telnet part working. Now does anyone know the how I can activate a dial up connection from a command window? Thats all I need to know now. Maybe someho make a BAT file or something.
Thanks
AREA_51

February 23, 2003 4:31:12 AM

i dont have a modem to test with so i cant really try anything. maybe a shortcut to the connection with some switches? /connect /dial....

February 23, 2003 5:41:38 AM

I thought of that but I couldnt see any way of making it runable from the command prompt. Forget the telnet part whatever it is it just has to be runable from strictly the command prompt. That is the only requirement. I have everything else worked out.
Thanks anyway
AREA_51

February 23, 2003 6:15:48 AM

a shortcut can be run from a command line.

February 23, 2003 8:12:05 AM

Yes that opens the dial up netorking window. But how do I get it to auctaly dial? I am sure there should be a command line switch but I dont know it.
Thanks
AREA_51

February 23, 2003 4:20:13 PM

maybe there is an auto dial feature

February 23, 2003 10:35:36 PM

There is an autodial option there. But I dont want it because I have one machine that sends a request every so often and I dont want it connecting all the time. Back to the drawing board.
AREA_51

!