Sign in with
Your question

Idp avg alert when installing old game from disc

Last response: in Windows 7
February 28, 2013 2:27:43 PM

Hi guys
heres a strange one.... i really enjoy some of the old pc games however when installing heroes of might and magic a avg alert appeared called something like "ipd"... however i let avg run its course and any infection was cleaned .....
however other ( more recent games ) install without any problems .... ( eg bioshock 2,crysis 3 ) .... so is this a problem related to older games or their protection system ( eg drm )
i suppose i could allow the program to run however you cant be sure .....and i would rather loose £2 that i paid for the game rather than mess up my pc
personally and since it only occurs on older games i beleive avg is detecting these games due to their old protection software ..... however anyone got any other idea,s ?

cheers guys !
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 2:54:33 PM

Ubisoft installed some kind of rootkit for some of the older titles Uplay online that probably triggers detection now.
February 28, 2013 3:03:57 PM

thanks mate ... yes heroes of might and magic is a ubisoft game ... that said so are many others... so this means i should avoid buying second hand games from ubisoft ... thats a shame since i was looking forward to running that game again .. its a classic
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 3:19:05 PM

brianthesnail said:
thanks mate ... yes heroes of might and magic is a ubisoft game ... that said so are many others... so this means i should avoid buying second hand games from ubisoft ... thats a shame since i was looking forward to running that game again .. its a classic

Installing them is not a problem -- It is just a false positive by the AV caused by the fact that their DRM acts just like many viruses do when installing itself -- (ie. using special characters in the file names to prevent detection and deletion by the user, hiding certain portions of itself on the system, etc.) but you know where the alert is coming from and that it is not an actual harmful virus so can install it without harming the system (assuming you know it is a clean disk directly from the company and not a copy made by someone that may also contain other harmful additions !)

Whether you chose to avoid it because of the DRM is a choice you need to make but if you want to play it and do not mind the DRM hiding itself on your system there is no real threat caused by it - it is just that most DRM measures and viruses act in the same manner so your AV scanner is going to see them as a possible threat and warn you about them rather than take a chance on not reporting it and letting an actual infection occur !
February 28, 2013 4:41:00 PM

thanks jdfan ... excellent advice.. however you do tend to trust your av and i very rarely allow programs or games to run that have triggered alerts.!
.. however like you stated if you know the game is ok ( which is should be from ubisoft ) then i suppose i can allow it to run ....
ive allways been security concious when it comes to my pc ,even going as far back as windows 98 ... and avg has been a trusted servant for many years
anyway many thanks for your advice .. its much appreiciated
!