Status
Not open for further replies.

bii

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I'm looking to buy my mom a laptop. She has a desktop that she plays her Windows based games on (burning monkey solitaire, etc.) She doesn't need much, just something portable to play on. I'm looking to spend around $150 - $200. What is my best bet? What would you get given the situation?

I've seen laptops for only $300 but you wouldn't want any less then that.

Don't get a netbook, get a laptop with a 15.6" screen.

Your simply going to have to look around for sales. At that price it will be a basic setup but make sure to get at least the following:

1) 15.6" screen
2) Windows 7
3) 2GB RAM

Well you can buy used, but you don't know the history of it. I would only buy a used laptop if I knew what kind of upbringing it had. There are too many things that you could run into that isn't covered by a warranty that would cost too much to replace. I'm not saying not to do it, just that you need to consider all of the possibilities.

bii

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

The Touchpad comes with WebOS, could I just wipe it clean and install Windows??

No windows on it so can't play burning monkey solitaire (that is a window game right?). It does however browse the internet, view pictures, play movie and music (pretty much all of the basic). There is a chance you could put android or ubuntu on it (but it is a big if).

It's just that if the netbook is re-certified, the warranty is short (90 days). It is a gift, so if it die after a short time and there is no warranty, it will be really disappointing for the receiver. Consider the social implication, I am sure you don't want to disappoint your mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.