Help with Gift

I'm looking to buy my mom a laptop. She has a desktop that she plays her Windows based games on (burning monkey solitaire, etc.) She doesn't need much, just something portable to play on. I'm looking to spend around $150 - $200. What is my best bet? What would you get given the situation?
8 answers Last reply
More about help gift
  1. If your buying new, that is almost impossible to get a decent laptop (netbook) in that price range.
    Here is something to consider, but doesn't fit into the $200 price range ($335 shipped):
    Acer Aspire One AO722-BZ454 Espresso Black AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50 (1.00GHz) 11.6" 2GB Memory 250GB HDD Netbook

I wouldn't buy any Atom based Netbook. Just too slow for most people, IMHO.
  2. I've seen laptops for only $300 but you wouldn't want any less then that.

Don't get a netbook, get a laptop with a 15.6" screen.

Your simply going to have to look around for sales. At that price it will be a basic setup but make sure to get at least the following:

1) 15.6" screen
    2) Windows 7
    3) 2GB RAM
  3. What about buying a used laptop? Would any of you do that?
  4. Well you can buy used, but you don't know the history of it. I would only buy a used laptop if I knew what kind of upbringing it had. There are too many things that you could run into that isn't covered by a warranty that would cost too much to replace. I'm not saying not to do it, just that you need to consider all of the possibilities.
  5. It's not the same thing but have you ever considering grabbing the $99 hp tablet once they are again release en mass to the market on clearance?
  6. Pyree said:
    It's not the same thing but have you ever considering grabbing the $99 hp tablet once they are again release en mass to the market on clearance?

The Touchpad comes with WebOS, could I just wipe it clean and install Windows??
  7. No windows on it so can't play burning monkey solitaire (that is a window game right?). It does however browse the internet, view pictures, play movie and music (pretty much all of the basic). There is a chance you could put android or ubuntu on it (but it is a big if).

It's just that if the netbook is re-certified, the warranty is short (90 days). It is a gift, so if it die after a short time and there is no warranty, it will be really disappointing for the receiver. Consider the social implication, I am sure you don't want to disappoint your mom.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Desktops Product