Does anybody know why when I connect my computer directly
to my cable modem it works very fast, but when I connect
using my wireless router it slows down quite a bit. I use
a network adapter for my laptop and a network cable for
my desktop.

Depending on your wireless, you're receiving and transmitting roughly 40-50%
of the rating depending on whether you're using 802.11b (11 GHz) or 802.11g
(54 GHz). It is not the same rating as an Ethernet cable.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC