Thoroughbred !!!

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Has anyone checked out Tom's latest article about: " ATi's Radeon IGP320M Chipset
A New Chance For Athlon Notebooks "

On page 7 under " The Innards Of The Test Notebook "....Tom wrote:

I actually tested the 'Thoroughbred' Athlon XP in a desktop system to see how it compares to the current Athlon XP processors based on the "Palomino" core. I am afraid that there is absolutely no performance difference! The new "Thoroughbred" is only running a lot cooler than "Palomino."

WTF!! could that be the same for the desktops??????

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Why not? It's only the same in 0.13 technology. No more L2, maybe so minor arquitechture improvements that are hard to notice.

But take into account mobile configurations are a lot more limited by other components, so still there is light in the dark :)

Seriously, I think Tbred will improve very little; the best thing is that it will reach higher frecuencies, that's all. Wait for Barton for a significant jump.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Exactly. Even AMD themselves claim that the TBred is <i>only</i> a die shrink. Nothing more. Therefore, no improvements in performance over AXP at same clock speeds. This isn't exactly new news.

The difference is that TBred is cooler, should need less power (though may not actually <i>use</i> less power), and will clock higher. All it really does is let AMD run the AXP further without many people noticing that they even switched cores.

What a lot of us are hoping for though, is that the TBred will OC nicely. :)

The only real change in the AXPs is supposedly Barton. Even then, all it is supposed to be recieving is extra cache. So don't expect a major performance jump there either. Plus, it is still debatable <i>if</i> the Barton will even be released.

<pre><font color=orange><b>du hast den Sweater verkehrt an</b></font color=orange>
Oh my!</pre><p>

When the Thoroughbred (eventually) arrives, it should in theory be slightly easier to overclock as there should be less heat issues. I'd be interested to see the normal operating temperature of the Thoroughbred 2200 versus the Palamino 2100.

Sex is great but its no substitite for the real thing.....

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
But take into account mobile configurations are a lot more limited by other components, so still there is light in the dark :)
Not in the CPU, and that was all he used.

The T-bread has been billed, for a while now, by several websites and AMD itself as simply a die-reduction with no other core tweeks. It's advantages will be in Price and ability to be clocked higher due to lower power requirements and heat generation.

Fleedip 2002, Microsoft's answer to bugs.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
But I think Northwood needs the additional cache due to its longer pipeline. Just like it needs far more memory bandwidth to perform well.

Athlon should see some small improvements on the order of a couple percent, perhaps, with the addition of more cache. But I suspect most of the improvements will only really be seen in synth benchmarks.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I expect the extra cache to give about 5-7% per clock.

Which is not a small thing, thats a whole speed step or 2 around 2ghz.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

G

Anyone have any idea who produced the Radeon IGP320M based prototype notebook used in the articale??