what is the p4 difference?

cpuNOz

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Just wondering what is the difference when buying a p4 1.6 gig , is there a difference 1.6 ,1.6A ?? Btw, It will be overclocked . Also what is a good "QUIET" CPU FAN FOR THIS CHIP AT 2.1 OR SO AND A QUIET P4 PSU ? I've gone deeeef from my current fans on my p 1g 1 80mm intake 2 faceing the hd's 1 exhaust+ psw fan and stock intel cpu fan buz buzz . I want a good not to expencive ocing fan if possible .cdn prices would be great since I am from Vancouver B.C. anyone know any good stores up here. THANKS.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the P4 1.6 (no "A") has the willimete core (i think i spelled that wrong) and can either be 423 pin or 478 pin....it also has 256 L2 cache and .18 micron die....
the P4 1.6A has the newer northwood core and is of the 478 pin flavor...it has 512 L2 cache and .13 micron die size...the P4 1.6A overclock extremely well....it can easily go up to and beyond 2 ghz with the standard HSF....the regular P4 1.6 does not overclock as well (you'll be lucky to get it to 1.9 ghz)...
as for a quiet PSU...look for an enermax whisper quiet series...those PSUs are very quiet and perform very well.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

cpuNOz

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
THANKS FOR THE REPLY .. SO USE'S OF THE STOCK FAN IS DECENT ENOUGH COOLING ALRIGHTY THEN BUT IS IT QUIET , I SHOULD PUT IN AN ADITIONAL QUIET EXHAUST FAN ADLEAST ? THOSE MAXTOR 60 GIGERS @7200 RPM SURE HEAT UP LOTS sIzzZZLE

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
you should have atleast two case fans in your computer...one at the bottom to suck in air and another at the top to suck out air...if you just have one case fan...put it at the top of the case to suck out air...some people may tell you to put it at the bottom to suck in air and thats good too...but its just preference where you want to put that one case fan...i like to put it at the top to suck out air.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The stock intel HSF is very quiet.

Pick up some dynomat from your local autopart store and apply it to the panels inside your case to reduce noise and vibration.

Sunon makes quiet 80mm fans

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.