Can you guys help me? I've never bought a laptop before and I want to make sure I invest wisely. I filling out this questionnaire to help w/ major questions. This is so stressful!!
1. What is your budget?
I want to spent under $1,000, but I'd really like to save as much as possible...
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Something under 15 inches. The real consideration here is weight. I tend to travel a lot, so getting something lighter is a must. I've been scouring the net and the word ultraportable comes up... this would be ideal. Less than 4lbs or even 3lbs would be ideal.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I dunno...something to watch HD movies on. I need to do some minor video editing so please take this into consideration.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Something very portable, but w/ enough size to watch a movie comfortably. Dunno how to answer this...
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No. I don't play games.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Video editing, audio editing, photo editing, stream Netflix, burn DVDs, talk on Skype, maybe use a webcam
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Maybe around 300 GBs
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible...
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Writer, maybe Bluray ROM
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
13. What country do you live in?
The United States, although I'm from Korea and will visit there occasionally.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need a sturdy keyboard w/ a large right shift key. Number pad is not necessary. I also want at least 3 USB ports, HDMI, latest wifi, and a memory card reader (for my digital camera)
I think that's it. Considering my price range and the fact that I'm not a gamer, I think I would have a variety of options available to me. So I would assume at this point it would boil down to having a product from a reliable company, which I'm not very savvy about. Anyway, I hope you guys can help me out.
I can never find enough specific detail on the BestBuy site to figure out what the differences are. They can be subtle like smaller (less expensive) battery packs or no USB phone charging option, no Bluetooth, no WiDi, etc.
It looks like your best deal might be from Toshiba Direct. Toshiba Portege R835 13.3-inch Core i3 Laptop
They have the R835 Core i3 model for $680. It does have all the nice options like all day battery pack, Bluetooth 3.0, WiDi and Sleep & Charge (charging a phone, MP3 player, etc)
The i5-2410M does have Turbo Core to boost speed from 2.3Ghz to 2.9Ghz (on a single core) vs the 2.1Ghz i3-2310M which doesn't have Turbo. For video editing, you'd expect both CPUs to be running on both cores at full speed (2.1Ghz vs 2.3Ghz).
If you spend a couple hours a day video editing it would make sense to go with the more powerful i5. If it's more of a casual hobby the i3 will do fine.