Sign in with
Your question

How come the headphones on my computer work, but not the headphones?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 28, 2013 6:28:07 PM

My speakers were working until I put my headphones into my Windows 7 PC. Now only the headphones work- not the speakers. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!!!
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 6:37:24 PM

When headphones are plugged in, Windows 7 automatically switches audio output to the headphones. If you unplug the headphones, do the speakers work again?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 8:01:21 PM

what kind of audio chipset the via or realtek ?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 8:32:38 PM

right-click on "sound icon" at bottom right

click on "playback devices"

right-click on speakers and select "set as default audio device"

this will solve the issue

or if you are using the audio and video over the same hdmi cable you might need to pull the hdmi out off back of tv and plug it back in while pc is on to get it to recognise it

(this happens with bad hdmi cables)
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:14:57 AM

bobw11 said:
My speakers were working until I put my headphones into my Windows 7 PC. Now only the headphones work- not the speakers. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!!!

Hi All- Thank you for your responses. I did try the recommendations provided below and they did not work. Actually cannot tell you what did work- but after much rebooting and fiddling around somehow got the speakers back on.

Will try and remember to not plug headphones into the front jack in the future!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2013 2:02:51 AM

if the dont work only in the front panel i would check the audio cable from the case to the motherboard and also the bios to see if it is ac 97 or hd audio .
m
l
March 7, 2013 3:20:25 AM

Right click the Audio controls and check on the sources you should be able to switch it back and forth. In windows 7 there are more options for Audio. I think you can pick multiple sources for sound.
m
l
!