Formatting Drives for new PC Build

Detailguy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hello all,

I currently have two internal drives. I had a single 1TB hdd with windows 7 already on it and have been using this drive for about 3.5 years. I recently purchased a Samsung 840 500g SSD and used acronis to copy the HDD drive image over. I now use the SSD as the primary boot drive. I am in the process of building a new gaming rig and wanted to do a fresh clean install of windows 7 on the ssd. I have backed images and all data to an external 3TB WD hdd. All drives are running and connected to my current PC.

My question is: What is the safest and easiest way to do a erase of my SSD and a clean install of Windows 7? I was thinking of booting from my secondary internal drive to run my current computer. Then going in to erase the SSD data and installing Windows 7. After that, installing the ssd to the new gaming rig. Are there better ways at going about this? After I migrate the ssd to the new computer the old internal 1tb drive will be reformatted and installed in the new comp as a secondary data drive. The old computer will be given to a family member.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time building my own rig.

Thanks!
Chris

Detailguy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I assume this method will be safe for a SSD? Will this do a complete full reformat or simply erase all the data and install Win 7? I only ask because I have been reading that doing a full reformat on SSD is not good. Thanks for you help.