P4 1800 MHZ Northwood Fast Enough ?

G

I`m going to upgrade my PC to a faster one, my current system is PIII 866, 256MB (PC133 MHZ standard), 40 GB 7200 RPM Hardisk.

So here`s my question:

How much faster will the P4 1800 MHZ Northwood be, compare to my "old" PIII 866 ?

I hope it going be at least doubble as fast as my PIII 866 ?

Also, i need to buy a new motherboard, as well as new RAM, but is it posibble in the meantime, to actueally use the old PC133 256MB RAM, on a P4 Motherboard ?

Is it possible to avoid installing a floppydisk, when you`r going to build a complete new PC, and instead use the cdrom which will be installed on this new PC ?

I do see a lot of Posting message in Toms hardware gui.. Community, about AMD disskusion VS Intel.

One thing is for shure, i will never buy AMD processor, i have my reasons!.

Henrik

FatBurger

Illustrious
Twice as fast depends on what you'll be doing with your computer.

is it posibble in the meantime, to actueally use the old PC133 256MB RAM, on a P4 Motherboard ?

Yes, but it will be terrible performance, and you'll have to buy a new motherboard to use anything else.

Is it possible to avoid installing a floppydisk, when you`r going to build a complete new PC, and instead use the cdrom which will be installed on this new PC ?

Absolutely. I don't have a floppy drive in my computer anymore.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Just wondering why you wouldn't have a floppy? Is that better some how (sorry I am quite new)

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It's useless. I haven't touched my floppy drive in more than a year! Get an ABit IT7 or AT7 and don't install a floppy drive and you'll truly have a 21st century PC.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
One thing is for shure, i will never buy AMD processor, i have my reasons!.

You can reuse that 256 megs of sdram, intel makes p4 sdram boards, also you can get much better value by getting the 1.7ghz p4, its waay cheaper than the 1.8 and only slightly slower.

With your sdram you can have the whole deal for about 300 bucks, enjoy.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
I do believe telling someone to get a 1.7 and SDRAM is considered cruel and unusual punishment :lol:

As for the floppy drive, I just like the feeling of not having it. Kind of like if you go commando one day, you feel so much more free, even though there's not really any benefit.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
AMD_Man, I know this forum server is slow sometimes but it nearly always gets the clicks eventually. How about being patient after hitting the Post button instead of double and triple posting??? Mucho appreciated...

Ritesh

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You can reuse that 256 megs of sdram, intel makes p4 sdram boards, also you can get much better value by getting the 1.7ghz p4, its waay cheaper than the 1.8 and only slightly slower.
Man isn't tha just a combination made in hell? YOu may as stay with your sytem if you're going to get that. If he's not going to overclock then maybe the 1.7 would be ok, but that SDRAM would seriously kill it. You really need at least PC2700 or PC800 RDRAM to start to utilize the abilities of the P4.

By the way, what kind of video card do you have? If you have a low-end card, then it may be time to upgrade that before your motherboard/CPU/RAM. Like a GF2MX won't all that better on a faster comp. For example on one of my comps a PIII600E with 256MB of PC100 SDRAM and a GF2MX, I got a score of ~2100 in 3D MARK2K1 SE. My buddy has a P4 1.7 with 256MB of PC800 RDRAM and a GF2MX400 with 64MB of meme and he got a whopping 300 points more than me.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

what do you plan on using your computer for? If you just browse the web and do email than your wasting your money.

Only upgrade if what your application that you use or the types of applications you use become too slow (takes 10 minutes to load, takes forever to do something etc...), then upgrade. At least, thats what i recommend.

Too slow is too general of a term. Can you explain what you use your computer for then i can tell you rather or not a 1800mhz (equaivalent to AMD's 1400mhz athlon XP in most (95%) benchmarks) computer is too slow?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

ya i agree i haven't touched my floppy drive in 2 to 3 years it seems like. ... i used it once to copy files onto my bro's disk. DOn't even need to boot up dos so you can format your hard drive just pop in the windows 2000/xp disk.

Now i have a 256MB Flash card and that works better than a floppy to transfer files from my laptop to my computer or to my PDA and view or listen(yes it plays MP3's and plays them quite well i might add) or watch (it can play movie files too) the files. PDA's are sooo cool! I highly recommend.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

eden

Champion
Well in a way that was a punishement to him for not being open to different system combinations, especially if he thinks an SDRAM P4 system will be fun to use, compared to an Athlon SDRAM system.

--
Luke, I am your father...but due to a bacon-slicing accident, your mother... :lol:

G

I`m using my computer for 3D graphics, Cubase and Harddisk audio recording, as well as video edditing..

I bought the Matrox Marvel G450 eTV(on Windows XP), so i can use it for my own home video, captureing in S-VHS Quality etc...

But with my current system (PIII 866 MHZ, 256MB RAM), i do experience drop out, bad audio sync,when i`m capturing video in S-VHS/playback, from a video source( did try installing every codecs, did`nt help much!)

It seem`s that, my current system has diffcult to sustain a framrate of 25 frame/sec (PAL system)..

eden

Champion
Have you considered Dual CPU setups? Of course you could waste the entire money on Dual Xeons, but you could save so much more if you get an AthlonMP dual setup, and still get better or equal performance for much less. Some have saved about 500-1000$ by using the AMD route.

OTHERWISE, if you persist on Intel P4s, do NOT stay with SDRAM, you'll end up with a system with 1-5% better performance in those apps, beleive me, it's THAT much bad. Instead go for RDRAM, where the video bandwidth will be efficient. ALSO, consider overclocking it, most guarantee a 1.8GHZ NW can almost 96% of the time go to 2.4GHZ, with a high FSB. If you do that, you end up indeed with a system that is more than twice the performance, and has over 4.2GB/sec of bandwidth.

It's up to you...
Dual CPUs: AMD AthlonMP
Single CPU: 1.8GHZ NW+PC800 RDRAM OCed to 2.4GHZ and PC1066 RDRAM.

Otherwise the performance isn't guaranteed to be even twice. See the P3 1GHZ vs P4 2GHZ bench on Intel's website, it improves by 80% and NOT 100% or twice. Of course that was a Willy, but even then, I doubt it went to 100%.

--
Luke, I am your father...but due to a bacon-slicing accident, your mother... :lol:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
"you'll end up with a system with 1-5% better performance in those apps "
Wheres the bench?
"where the video bandwidth will be efficient"
RDRAM increases Video bandwidth?
"most guarantee a 1.8GHZ NW can almost 96% of the time go to 2.4GHZ"
Most guarantee? Almost 96% of 1.8A's go to 2.4? Whered you get that figure? Where do you get any of these percentages? You poll people that own 1.8A's? Most of em guarantee?

I sold my sig for $50.

eden

Champion
First of all, for video editing, I think everyone can agree, having 1.06GB/sec of bandwidth is utter useless BS. This is why I said there will be barely any increase in the overall. The guy wants over twice the performance, or something that can do his work faster.
Yes PC800 RDRAM's Dual Channel bandwidth, 3.2GB/sec, is very very good for anything for the P4, including 3d, video and audio. Why you don't see it, I wonder...
A 1.6A is guaranteed 98% to reach 2.13GHZ, and almost always goes to 2.4GHZ, with a little BIOS tweaking just in case. Ask FatBurger, or any 1.6A user who OCed his NW. This means a 1.8A would go somewhere above 2.2GHZ ~98% guaranteed once again, ask Crashman who had been planning to get that proc.

I am sorry but you are refusing to beleive facts that just about everyone here would agree, including trolls.

--

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
You're mistaken about what "video bandwidth" is. Thats the frequency at which video signals are carried across a certain medium...such as coax cable, or optics. 22 MHZ and up is considered high quality, like HDTV......So no, I dont see how RDRAM can improve that. I agree that the 1.6A is overclockable, so is the 1.8A.....sht, all procs can be overclocked. But to bring percentages without a documented study or anything is just ridiculous. 98% out of how many processors can be OC'd above 2ghz? Out of ALL OF THEM?!? LOL You went and tested every proc? I'd say 0 of em can be OC'd, but only because I have one, it overclocked, and thats all I have to go on. So now I can say that 0 of 1.8A procs OC to 2.5ghz cause mine does. You state your opinions as facts.......show me where a study/review has been done on P4 Procs comparing their overclocking potentials w/ the ability to not OC at all.

I sold my sig for $50.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Um, what are you talking about? You need bandwidth because video has to be decompressed in memory and that takes a lot of memory and memory bandwidth. If you don't have enough bandwidth to manage video smoothly then you'll skip freeze. Out of all of them, how many Northwoods should reach 2GHZ+? I'd say 100%. Why? With most P4 motherboard offering at least 1.65V, 2.xGHz is virtually guaranteed. Show me a P4 that won't reach 2GHz!!! I doubt you'll find any!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink: