Character Sheets

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2005 11:12:22 PM

Some PDF files allow you to type in fields provided and save the results.
Are there any character sheets like that that people know about? Or maybe a
character information storage program, that stores the info in a database
and allows you to print copies in the standard format when you wnat them or
something?

I'd like to keep electronic copies of my characters, but my options seem to
be either "text file, put the stats in there", or other document styles
based on word processing. Anything a bit more complicated out there that
I'm not aware of? 2E is preferred, but anything will do.

(FYI, I did a search for this, and it turned up exactly what it was supposed
to, character sheets, but that's not really what I'm looking for)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

More about : character sheets

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:12:23 PM

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> Some PDF files allow you to type in fields provided and save the results.
> Are there any character sheets like that that people know about? Or maybe a
> character information storage program, that stores the info in a database
> and allows you to print copies in the standard format when you wnat them or
> something?
>
> I'd like to keep electronic copies of my characters, but my options seem to
> be either "text file, put the stats in there", or other document styles
> based on word processing. Anything a bit more complicated out there that
> I'm not aware of? 2E is preferred, but anything will do.
>
> (FYI, I did a search for this, and it turned up exactly what it was supposed
> to, character sheets, but that's not really what I'm looking for)

Quick answer, yes. Although it's been a long time for 2e for me, there
were some very good ones when I was playing it. You might try
searching for "2nd edition AD&D character record" (minus the quotes).
That brings up a load of stuff in google. and of course if you are
looking for pdf's specifically just add pdf.

If you still can't find anything, I can do some digging, I'm sure I've
still got some, or some of my players do, although I tend to prefer
excell sheets.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:48:46 AM

There are quite a few out there, but you need Adobe Acrobat to save the
information, not just Reader.

Justisaur wrote:
> Jeff Goslin wrote:
> > Some PDF files allow you to type in fields provided and save the results.
> > Are there any character sheets like that that people know about? Or maybe a
> > character information storage program, that stores the info in a database
> > and allows you to print copies in the standard format when you wnat them or
> > something?
> >
> > I'd like to keep electronic copies of my characters, but my options seem to
> > be either "text file, put the stats in there", or other document styles
> > based on word processing. Anything a bit more complicated out there that
> > I'm not aware of? 2E is preferred, but anything will do.
> >
> > (FYI, I did a search for this, and it turned up exactly what it was supposed
> > to, character sheets, but that's not really what I'm looking for)
> >

> Quick answer, yes. Although it's been a long time for 2e for me, there
> were some very good ones when I was playing it. You might try
> searching for "2nd edition AD&D character record" (minus the quotes).
> That brings up a load of stuff in google. and of course if you are
> looking for pdf's specifically just add pdf.
>
> If you still can't find anything, I can do some digging, I'm sure I've
> still got some, or some of my players do, although I tend to prefer
> excell sheets.
>
> - Justisaur
June 23, 2005 7:17:20 AM

"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Quick answer, yes. Although it's been a long time for 2e for me, there
> were some very good ones when I was playing it. You might try
> searching for "2nd edition AD&D character record" (minus the quotes).
> That brings up a load of stuff in google. and of course if you are
> looking for pdf's specifically just add pdf.

Well, I found quite a few plain old "character sheets" without much trouble
even in my own search, but thanks for the search suggestion anyways, it did
find a few new sites for me. The subject line belies what I'm actually
looking for.

What would be ideal is something that allows a person to save character
information in some electronic format, and will print out a fully filled in
character sheet on demand(with space for extra additions, eg new equipment,
spells, etc). That is what I seek, but don't know what to use as a search
phrase, so my results often include many character sheets, of which I have
quite a few that are quite similar and any of them would do, if that is what
I was looking for.

I know it's probably something that doesn't exist(at least for 2E), but I
figured I'd give it a whirl. I'd imagine that something like that is
readily available for 3E, and maybe if a search phrase would turn up a 3E
version of that sort of thing, there might be 2E versions of the same thing
in the search results as well.

Thanks for the help!

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
June 23, 2005 1:38:56 PM

Mere moments before death, Jeff Goslin hastily scrawled:
>Some PDF files allow you to type in fields provided and save the results.
>Are there any character sheets like that that people know about? Or maybe a
>character information storage program, that stores the info in a database
>and allows you to print copies in the standard format when you wnat them or
>something?
>
>I'd like to keep electronic copies of my characters, but my options seem to
>be either "text file, put the stats in there", or other document styles
>based on word processing. Anything a bit more complicated out there that
>I'm not aware of? 2E is preferred, but anything will do.
>
>(FYI, I did a search for this, and it turned up exactly what it was supposed
>to, character sheets, but that's not really what I'm looking for)

www.rpgsheets.com

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:07:58 PM

"Repent Jeff Goslin!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Jeff Goslin
replied. Then he added:

> What would be ideal is something that allows a person to save
> character information in some electronic format, and will print out a
> fully filled in character sheet on demand(with space for extra
> additions, eg new equipment, spells, etc). That is what I seek, but
> don't know what to use as a search phrase, so my results often include
> many character sheets, of which I have quite a few that are quite
> similar and any of them would do, if that is what I was looking for.

You might want to look for Excel spreadsheets, I know some people have
created those for 3E. Isn't there a website dedicated to 2E playing?
Dragonfoot.com or something like that?

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:24:24 PM

"Billy Yank" <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in message
> You might want to look for Excel spreadsheets, I know some people have
> created those for 3E. Isn't there a website dedicated to 2E playing?
> Dragonfoot.com or something like that?

Well, technically, the excel spreadsheets will work, but they aren't so
pretty. I know it's kind of trivial, but I like the layout and appearance
of the character sheets provided with the game, and that's why I was hoping
for a fill-in-the-blank PDF, but I suppose if excel sheets are the best
option, they'll have to do. Thanks!

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
June 26, 2005 5:43:29 PM

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> "Billy Yank" <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in message
>
>>You might want to look for Excel spreadsheets, I know some people have
>>created those for 3E. Isn't there a website dedicated to 2E playing?
>>Dragonfoot.com or something like that?
>

> Well, technically, the excel spreadsheets will work, but they aren't so
> pretty. I know it's kind of trivial, but I like the layout and appearance
> of the character sheets provided with the game, and that's why I was hoping
> for a fill-in-the-blank PDF, but I suppose if excel sheets are the best
> option, they'll have to do. Thanks!

I've been searching for the same thing. rpgsheets was a good tip. I
wish I had the time and knowhow to code a program that could do exactly
what you're suggesting.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:29:56 PM

"Shawn Roske" <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I've been searching for the same thing. rpgsheets was a good tip. I
> wish I had the time and knowhow to code a program that could do exactly
> what you're suggesting.

Well, I have the time and knowhow, but unfortunately, it wouldn't be very
useful for the other people around here, because I play 2E and most people
play 3E. I'll probably whip something up in the near future, but for now,
I'll pick one of the excel character sheets and work with that.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info