upgrading puter..must i install xp?

I'm upgrading my puter to ASUS a7n8X w/xp2100 cpu from 700mhz P3 running win98. new mem and psu also. Must i upgrade to win xp? If i do have to upgrade to xp (now this is a dumb question) which version do i buy..win xp home full version or win xp home upgrade?...duh.
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrading puter must install
  1. You don't have to, but IMO you should. If you have Win 98 CD available, you can buy the upgrade version.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  2. my puter is Gateway which obviously came with os installed. I have Gateway cd's. One is operating sys backup cd and one is system restoration cd. will these work?
  3. The OS backup install will *if* it's a full install disk. The restoration CD definetly won't as it contains all the wrong drivers for your new mobo.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=421&s=205efc501496823a64ba7fbd37152ff2" target="_new">Psyko's Rig</A>
  4. With your next PC, get a custom built one.

There easier to upgrade, modify, etc.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
  5. If you have a restore cd, instead of a win 98 cd, then you will need a new full version. There is a way around it, but long and complicated.

:smile: Peace comes only after absolute victory :smile:
  6. have you got a cd-writer?
    browse for this folder to see if it is there: C:\Windows\Options\Cabs.

If possible burn that folder onto a CD. Voila. Full win98 install CD.

To get the product key open up regedit: Start>Run>(type 'regedit'). Locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\ProductKey. There you should have the 25 digit product key to enter when reinstalling.

There you go. Full version of Win98 on a CD, which you paid for when you bought the computer, even if they didnt give you this installation disk.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus CPUs Windows XP