I'm doubting which laptop to buy and I got kinda lost in the forest of all websites and laptop ads that I saw and would like to use your help!
Copy'd the questions from the FAQ
1. What is your budget?
Max +- 750 euro, preferably 600-700 euro but if I can get superior improvement for a little extra money it's worth it.
As I have my own webdevelopment company I can purchase the laptop on the company's name and I can get
the VAT back so I actually pay the price excluding the VAT.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15,6 - 17,3 either one would probably do fine.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
The default's for 15,6 and 17,3 which are I believe 1368 x 768 and 1600 x 900 ? They have to be at least HD ready, optionally full HD
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It's a replacement desktop for when I'm at the campus which is 5 days a week and at home I have a rather old dualcore desktop but it's primarily
for my room at the campus and during school.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Minimum 3 hours, more = better
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not very much, probably the only one's will be: GTA4 and Company of Heroes, both at highest levels possible but shouldn't be much of a problem since they're both rather old games.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Some light video editing possibly and for the rest only web programming, word, excel, powerpoint, skype..
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 320gig, any more is nice but not neccesary
2. It's a Dell XPS 15 L502x, dutch Dell has a special offer on the dutch website where I can't link too. Therefore I supplied the complete details below.
Price is also 670 euro excl. vat, if I want this one I have to order it on wednesday.
PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor 2, GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0, till 2,9 GHz
O/S Legitieme Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bits, Dutch
SERVICE AND SUPPORT 1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support
LCD-SCREEN 40 cm(15.6") HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p wih 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera (truelife screen)
MEMORY 6.144 MB 1.333 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1 x 2.048 + 1 x 4.096]
OPTICAL 8x optisch dvd+/-rw-station
HDD 500 GB (7.200 rpm) Seriële ATA-harde schijf
GRAPHICS 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M Grafische kaart
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 4 years, I probably don't need the best laptop specs out there but the better they're the longer I can use it.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
At least a single layer DVD burner, any extra is good
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
It's not absolutely neccesary but a BIG pre: at least one usb 3.0 port
The two laptops you posted, the main specs (CPU/GPU) are exactly the same,
Ram I mean 4Gb is more than enough today, both of them have more than that, so doesn't matter.
Other things you should be looking at if they got USB3, HDD capacity (dell has a faster HDD @ 7200rpm) and battery capacity, and everything else like looks, aesthetics, port locations, keyboard layout, etc. But all those are up to you as they do not impact the performance.