Rate my system please?

Thundremech

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Time to make the jump. I'm gonna build my own PC.
The kind of stuff I'm gonna use it for are videogames (not many really graphics intensive, except MMORPGs), web design, and programming. I want it to last me some years without many major upgrades. And I don't want to spend too much.

Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra SiS645
P4 1.8GHz Northwood
Maxtor Quiet Drive 60GB
Crucial Micron 256MB PC2100 DDR
GeForce4 Ti4200
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Xgamer
Lite On 32x12x40x CDRW
InWin ATX Midtower case w/ 300w Powerman PS

Besides the speakers, floppy drive, kb/mouse, monitor, fans, cooler ect, what do I need? Wires, ect.

Also, what's the best OS? I see a lot of people using XP, but it sounds like it doesn't give you that much control.
I won't really be programming anything professionally for a few years, so that's not a big deal.

Ciao for now

--- Your friendly neighborhood MechWarrior.

Thundremech

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Forgot to ask, will any of these components conflict?
And I am interested in overclocking sometime, but not immediately.

My friend bought a Pentium back when it was top of the line, and he still has it. It still works fine even with Diablo II, it's just slow.

--- Your friendly neighborhood MechWarrior.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Forget DDR. And get at least 512 RAM.

Buy a 1.6A instead of a 1.8, the 1.6 is virtually guaranteed to goto 2.1 at a 133 FSB. The 1.8A to 2.4 isn't as reliable (statistics wise) as a 1.6 to 2.1. Buy two sticks of Samsung PC800 RDRAM and you're ready to go.

Forget the Xgamer, it's in no way different from an audigy, except suckers who pay 20 bucks more just to get a few bundled games and think it's better for gaming.

Lite On is good, but if you're doing video editing and rendering, I'd recommend a 7200 WD 8MB special edition. My friend has one and it does movie editing much faster than my 2 MB 7200 RPM.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>