Unidentified Network problem (have tried "everything")

Hello,
I have a Windows 7 computer which all the sudden got disconnected from the internet and now cannot get back on. I just keep getting "Unidentified Network" no matter what I try...

Here is what I have tried so far...
- Uninstall / re-install the Ethernet adapter driver
- Manually set the default gateway, IP, and subnet masks.
- Tried to disable / enable the connection between each try
- Uninstalled the iTunes Bonjour software (this was suggested as a cause of this problem many places)

Thanks for any help!
41 answers Last reply
More about unidentified network problem have everything
  1. have you tried a loopback ping?
  2. did you check with your internet provider why you get disconnect ?
  3. Do other computers work on this network? You need to first confirm that the network itself is working. Then go to troubleshooting your pc.
  4. Thanks for the quick responses, you guys... To answer the questions:

- Not sure what a loopback ping is, although I am familiar with running tracert and regular ping from the command prompt. I should also mention that I have 20 years of experience using Windows (Since Win 3.1) but never seen a network problem as tricky as this one.

- All the other computers and units in our home still work, so it's not a internet disconnection issue. In fact, the very same network cable even connects to the internet when plugged into an Xbox360.

The problem is definitely with the network settings in this one pc only. It was working completely fine, until one day it decided not to connect anymore.
  5. If you've reinstalled drivers, could be the part died. It happens, onboard or not. Do you get any lights on the back on the board when it's plugged in or on the router when it's plugged in.

Does it get an ip from your router?
  6. then i would check for the network chipset driver and the card settings ,it could be a good thing to redo all the internet settings for this computer since you must be connect to a router .
  7. getochkn said:
    If you've reinstalled drivers, could be the part died. It happens, onboard or not. Do you get any lights on the back on the board when it's plugged in or on the router when it's plugged in.

Does it get an ip from your router?

Yes it does get a light when the cable is plugged in. It is also able to obtain an IP from the DHCP server (our router), so I doubt the network adapter is dead. I am 80% sure that it is a Windows config issue, and not hardware - although I am not ruling that out completely yet.
  8. scout_03 said:
    then i would check for the network chipset driver and the card settings ,it could be a good thing to redo all the internet settings for this computer since you must be connect to a router .

Yeah I went through all that and tried to set up the internet settings from scratch. :??:
  9. I'll take a wild swing at it

Check your *Network Connections* folder. If you have multiple connections, you can check all their individual properties for setup --- or, you can wipe them all out, reboot and establish a new one while letting the OS do the grunt work.
  10. easy way to test if its the card for sure or setting, burn a linux live cd and run that. if you get net, then it's settings. can you ping say google.com from a command prompt and get a response in windows?
  11. Thanks again for the continued help you guys...

Wisecracker said:
    I'll take a wild swing at it

Check your *Network Connections* folder. If you have multiple connections, you can check all their individual properties for setup --- or, you can wipe them all out, reboot and establish a new one while letting the OS do the grunt work.

No there was/is only one connection in there, and I have tried removing it and creating a new one (several times)
  12. getochkn said:
    easy way to test if its the card for sure or setting, burn a linux live cd and run that. if you get net, then it's settings. can you ping say google.com from a command prompt and get a response in windows?

Yeah I guess I could try a linux disc.

When I do a tracert to Google, nothing happens for like 20 seconds and then I get "unable to resolve target..."

When I do a ping to Google, nothing happens for like 20 seconds and then I get "ping request could not find..."
  13. Eskil said:
    Yeah I guess I could try a linux disc.

When I do a tracert to Google, nothing happens for like 20 seconds and then I get "unable to resolve target..."

When I do a ping to Google, nothing happens for like 20 seconds and then I get "ping request could not find..."

What if you ping 74.125.226.46 which is google.com's ip. that will determine if other things are working not the dns or you got dns hijacked, etc.
  14. Eskil said:
    Thanks for the quick responses, you guys... To answer the questions:

- Not sure what a loopback ping is, although I am familiar with running tracert and regular ping from the command prompt. I should also mention that I have 20 years of experience using Windows (Since Win 3.1) but never seen a network problem as tricky as this one.

- All the other computers and units in our home still work, so it's not a internet disconnection issue. In fact, the very same network cable even connects to the internet when plugged into an Xbox360.

The problem is definitely with the network settings in this one pc only. It was working completely fine, until one day it decided not to connect anymore.

I would first reset your network adapter to obtain IP address and DNS
    Then

Do all this in command prompt

ping 127.0.0.1
    does it respond? It should as this then indicates the driver for the network is resolving the network stack protocols properly and working. If this fails get onto another computer download the proper network driver and try again.
    Say the above works.

do the following commands
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Now get IP address type
    ipconfig /all

Can you ping the IP address given to you? Like if its home network probably 192.168.0.69
    You'd be pinging you're own computer. If this fails then I presume Windows Firewall is blocking ICMP
    Turn off windows firewall and then try surfing the web. Did that work, can you surf? Yes..? What if you turned on windows firewall can you surf now? No.. Check firewall settings.

If nothing
    Can you ping your router gateway address like ping 192.168.0.1 for example.
    Does it respond?

Some companies like slashdot.org block ICMP so it may not respond when you try pinging internet addresses.
  15. getochkn said:
    What if you ping 74.125.226.46 which is google.com's ip. that will determine if other things are working not the dns or you got dns hijacked, etc.

Something really interesting happens when I do that..
    I get this:
    Reply from host 192.168.1.101 Destination host unreachable

And in this case, 192.168.1.101 happens to be the locally assigned IP address to this computer itself.. So why would it return with itself as the "host". Normally if the network settings were wrong, I would expect it to return:
    Reply from host 74.125.226.46 Destination host unreachable
  16. Eskil said:
    Hello,
    I have a Windows 7 computer which all the sudden got disconnected from the internet and now cannot get back on. I just keep getting "Unidentified Network" no matter what I try...

- Uninstalled the iTunes Bonjour software (this was suggested as a cause of this problem many places)

Thanks for any help!

With the computer ON
    Unplug the power to the modem, wait 60 seconds, plug the power back in
    Wait until all the lights on the modem start flashing normal, about 2-3 minutes
    NOW restart the computer
  17. moulderhere said:
    I would first reset your network adapter to obtain IP address and DNS
    Then

Do all this in command prompt

ping 127.0.0.1
    does it respond? It should as this then indicates the driver for the network is resolving the network stack protocols properly and working. If this fails get onto another computer download the proper network driver and try again.
    Say the above works.

do the following commands
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

Now get IP address type
    ipconfig /all

Can you ping the IP address given to you? Like if its home network probably 192.168.0.69
    You'd be pinging you're own computer. If this fails then I presume Windows Firewall is blocking ICMP
    Turn off windows firewall and then try surfing the web. Did that work, can you surf? Yes..? What if you turned on windows firewall can you surf now? No.. Check firewall settings.

If nothing
    Can you ping your router gateway address like ping 192.168.0.1 for example.
    Does it respond?

Some companies like slashdot.org block ICMP so it may not respond when you try pinging internet addresses.

Wow, thank you for writing out that detailed response. :)
    I followed your steps and got this:

ping 127.0.0.1, this works
    ping 192.168.1.101 (the pc's IP), this works
    ping 192.168.1.1 (the router), this does NOT work...it won't respond
  18. soundguruman said:
    With the computer ON
    Unplug the power to the modem, wait 60 seconds, plug the power back in
    Wait until all the lights on the modem start flashing normal, about 2-3 minutes
    NOW restart the computer

Thank you, but this was one of the first things I had tried.
  19. Eskil said:
    I get this:

And in this case, 192.168.1.101 happens to be the locally assigned IP address to this computer itself.. So why would it return with itself as the "host". Normally if the network settings were wrong, I would expect it to return:

Okay.

So This is DNS messed up. Are you sure your network adapter is set to obtain DNS automatically? Why I ask that is it is resolving to 192.168.1.101 which as you are correct is local. If this were my computer I would check my DNS Settings on the network adapter.
    Somewhere it is trying to resolve a manual IP address some stupid program has set. So when you try pinging that IP it forces it to 192.168.1.101

I found a walkthrough for network card configuration for windows 7
    http://www.home-network-help.com/windows-7-network-card.html

There is a picture of "Local Are Connection Properties" That should be similar to your pc as well that screen.
    If you double click IPv4 the next screen should have set "Obtain an IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
    I hope it is some what accurate sorry, I'm on a XP box here.

I really think your DNS is set to manual and has an entry in it there.
  20. moulderhere said:
    Okay.

So This is DNS messed up. Are you sure your network adapter is set to obtain DNS automatically? Why I ask that is it is resolving to 192.168.1.101 which as you are correct is local. If this were my computer I would check my DNS Settings on the network adapter.
    Somewhere it is trying to resolve a manual IP address some stupid program has set. So when you try pinging that IP it forces it to 192.168.1.101

I found a walkthrough for network card configuration for windows 7
    http://www.home-network-help.com/windows-7-network-card.html

There is a picture of "Local Are Connection Properties" That should be similar to your pc as well that screen.
    If you double click IPv4 the next screen should have set "Obtain an IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
    I hope it is some what accurate sorry, I'm on a XP box here.

I really think your DNS is set to manual and has an entry in it there.

Thanks again..
    As far as DNS settings, yeah I have checked those multiple times - and even tried to set them manually to the same DNS servers that other computers on the network use (when I do an ipconfig /all on the pc's, I have written down their settings and tried to replicate the exact settings on the troubled pc).

But the DNS setting is back again to what it was before now, which is to Obtain DNS automatically.

So weird..
  21. Eskil said:
    Thanks again..
    As far as DNS settings, yeah I have checked those multiple times - and even tried to set them manually to the same DNS servers that other computers on the network use (when I do an ipconfig /all on the pc's, I have written down their settings and tried to replicate the exact settings on the troubled pc).

But the DNS setting is back again to what it was before now, which is to Obtain DNS automatically.

So weird..

Please do this in command prompt

ipconfig /all > c:\toms.txt

This will output the ipconfig all screen to a text file under your c drive called toms.txt
    Copy and paste that into your next post for me please.
  22. Also, some other tips I found online that did not help:
    - Tried disabling "Recieve Side Scaling" in the driver's Advanced Tab.
    - Tried temporarily disabling the IPv6 protocol
    - Tried installing the "Reliable Multicase Protocol"
    - In the Services of Task Manager, I tried to kill Automatic services that depended on the TCP/IP protocol driver
  23. Have you checked your hosts file?
  24. Did you try the linux disc or linux live USB and see if that works. Would eliminate the adapter being wonky and nail it down to a windows settings. I've seen weird things in fixing pc's for 20+ years, so just because it seems to connect and lights come on, doesn't mean it's working 100%.
  25. moulderhere said:
    Please do this in command prompt

ipconfig /all > c:\toms.txt

This will output the ipconfig all screen to a text file under your c drive called toms.txt
    Copy and paste that into your next post for me please.

Ok, here is the output from one of the pc's that work:
    Quote:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : broadstripe.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-60-6E-86-5F-2C
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::de5:a6ff:eda9:6da4%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.140(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 28, 2013 03:32:39
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 02, 2013 03:32:39
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 235429998
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-9D-28-21-08-60-6E-86-5F-2C
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.235.59.6
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

...and here is the same output from that pc gone bad:
    Quote:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : broadstripe.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::40:de95:2d77:caf4%15(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 01, 2013 7:48:39 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 02, 2013 7:48:38 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251658240
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-B2-0B-E9-00-00-00-00-00-00
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.235.59.6
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Everything looks the same, but I noticed something new now - and that is that the bad pc has no physical MAC address. I Google'd this problem and found a few recommendations to force the MAC address on the adapter. One particular tool to do this is http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/. I tried this, and it tells me it successfully changed the MAC address - but when it is done, it is still 00-00-00-00-00-00.
  26. moulderhere said:
    Have you checked your hosts file?

No I haven't. Anything in particular I should look for in it? (I know how to locate and modify it)
  27. Is this onboard network or a network card.

Your network adapter should NEVER have all zero's physical address. It could be set in the driver settings.

I seriously would remove the driver totally. Download the new driver and re-install fresh. Don't let windows automatically find the driver, specify it.
  28. getochkn said:
    Did you try the linux disc or linux live USB and see if that works. Would eliminate the adapter being wonky and nail it down to a windows settings. I've seen weird things in fixing pc's for 20+ years, so just because it seems to connect and lights come on, doesn't mean it's working 100%.

I haven't done the linux disc test yet no, but I will after some more attempts today.
  29. i suggest you to try a pci network card since the onboard give 00 for is mac address it could be out of service .
  30. moulderhere said:
    Is this onboard network or a network card.

Your network adapter should NEVER have all zero's physical address. It could be set in the driver settings.

I seriously would remove the driver totally. Download the new driver and re-install fresh. Don't let windows automatically find the driver, specify it.

This is an onboard network card, and the motherboard is only 2 months old.
    And I did already try to uninstall the driver and re-install the latest one to no avail. :(
  31. Try a linux live cd. If you cannot surf using that, then it maybe dead.

I set my MAC address to all 00's and it routes fine with my routher to google.
  32. you got your driver from the motherboard maker check also if there is a bios update that was made to correct this kind of issue .
  33. Thanks for the overwhelming amount of support and suggestion you guys. I appreciate all of it so much! I will be trying the linux disc and maybe a BIOS reset/update today and report back if/when I have found a solution.
  34. What is the motherboard make, model, bios revision number, cpu in it.

Thank you.
  35. Try the linux disc. lol. It's the easiest way to determine if it's a windows problem or hardware problem.
  36. I'm sorry about this.
    I'm trying to find you a guide on where in Windows 7 you can change the mac address, by spoofing it.

I have a feeling your hardware is running fine but on the network stack there is the option for MAC value to be something. Usually it is set to None but I think it is set to all zeros

Go here
    http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/52786-how-change-mac-address-windows-7-a.html

Scroll down until you see a screen capture a poster named Stalker posted which has a screen shot of his network adapter properties and "Network Address" clicked.

You should find something similar to this inside your network card properties and see if there is an entry.

I have a gutt feeling the linux disc will work fine.
  37. Eskil said:
    I get this:

I suggest that your service is defective. It is possible for internet to be working, but cannot access server to get to internet.
    You should be calling your service provider to test the connection.
    Insist that the provider bring a laptop, and hook it up in your home.
    Tell them to prove that it's working, with another computer.
    Low signal, corroded connections, etc...cause these kind of problems.
    Also the wrong type of splitters, that are not bidirectional, cause too much signal loss. Cables too long, defective connectors, will kill the bandwidth.
    OR turn off you antivirus, and try it again. An antivirus will also block connections.
  38. soundguruman said:
    I suggest that your service is defective. It is possible for internet to be working, but cannot access server to get to internet.
    You should be calling your service provider to test the connection.
    Insist that the provider bring a laptop, and hook it up in your home.
    Tell them to prove that it's working, with another computer.
    Low signal, corroded connections, etc...cause these kind of problems.
    Also the wrong type of splitters, that are not bidirectional, cause too much signal loss. Cables too long, defective connectors, will kill the bandwidth.
    OR turn off you antivirus, and try it again. An antivirus will also block connections.

I suggest you read the thread, other PC's on the same router work, the same cable was used to connect a 360 to the internet, so calling his service provider and insisting someone comes out and tests a connection that works for ALL OTHER pc's except this one would result in him probably getting a $100 service call bill.
  39. Eskil said:
    Hello,

Thanks for any help!

:pt1cable:
    SOOO??????

Whats an update on this?
  40. I'm posting this as a hope that it will help some of the many folks viewing this and similar threads. I've just spent the last four months (off and on) trying to figure this problem out. I've read every thread I could find and tried every "solution" out there. My own situation will, of course, involve different computers/mobile devices/router, etc. than any of you, but the one similarity I have noticed is that we all seem to have only one or two computers that get randomly dropped from our network while everything else works great.

For me, I actually collected every device we have in our house that connects to the network, identified each MAC address, and set up MAC filtering. I also set up ip address reservations for all, and set each device to static. Overkill? Maybe.

But I persevered, as I am a work from home gal, and MY computer, the only one that actually earns its keep, was the one that would disconnect every time the kids or dad came home. I couldn't stay connected on the weekends without bumping them off.

So, one at a time, we tried things. Finally narrowed it down to three devices causing problems. My daughter's Galaxy Media Player, hubby's Galaxy Note, and hubby's Toshiba Thrive tablet. (Meantime, two Kindles, an iPad an iPhone & a Roku box cause no problem!)

Once I figured out how to set the Galaxies both to static ip under their settings, they stopped causing a problem. The Thrive Tablet, however, is another story. It will not hold it's Static IP setting, and so everytime hubby left home and came back, it would have to be reset or it immediately took over the network from my laptop. I have researched this issue with the Thrive ad nauseum, to the point that I decided that perhaps I needed to let the ip address reservations go and ditch the static ips. I mean, you can, sometimes, have too much of a good thing!

Bottom line, with the MAC filtering set, I'm not having any problem except with the Toshiba Thrive. Which, at this point, I think we'll sell and replace with an ipad!

Here is the thing, if you haven't checked out all the devices that attach to your network, you might want to do so. We're shockingly well endowed with wifi suckers at our house - four people, 12 devices on when we're all home, and two more sporadically when my parents come for a visit. We live out in the sticks, have an unsecured network 'cuz no one lives close enough to pick up our signal, but that also cut out a lot of the potential interferences for my troubleshooting. So do yourself a favor and take everything else off line, see if your problematic connection clears up. If it does, reconnect one device at a time to see if you have a conflict between devices!
  41. That is interesting you say that.

I often wonder if it also could be a router issue. Who knows I guess.....

I say this because I used to have a D-Link DGL-4300 Gaming Router which was combined wired and wireless connections. My wireless devices (100 of them) had sporadic issues.
    Moved to Linksys WRT54GL modified with Tomato and poof, no wireless issues.
    Not using static IP's or anything for wireless just hidden ssid and password to get onto network.

Since then I've separated wireless network and wired network.

Anyways, glad you figured it out :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Windows 7