MN-720 Connectivity

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Thanks!
My setup is like this: wireless notebook (Sony VAIO)
running XP and base computer running Windows '98.
Firewall enabled on wireless config. Even when the
notebook with wireless adapter is physically in the same
room as the router the connection continually drops every
10 minutes or less, causing me to have to re-connect ad
nauseum. The further away from the base, of course, the
weaker the signal. The XP computer also has an icon in
the tray that conveys 'Local Area Connection - a network
cable is unplugged'. I'm sure this is a configuration
issue, but I can't find the setting, or any Microsoft
white paper that addresses this issue.
2 answers Last reply
More about connectivity

    The fix was easy after I read through several previously
    posted messages for the month of December. After I de-
    selected the 'Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication'
    checkbox, all has been well. Makes sense since I'm using
    WEP. Hope this helps someone else!!!

    Thanks Susan, it helped me! I was fighting with this for
    weeks, I should have come here earlier ;-)

    Best regards, Alex

Routers Networking