Sign in with
Your question

NW 1.6A --> 2.1B

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 20, 2002 5:16:50 PM

Does anyone know how easy it is using a new Intel 845G motherbaord with a 1.6A NW P4 to "create" a 2.1B system...it just needs the FSB to go from 100 --> 133

is this possible with retail HSF? is the chip stable? does it need a slight boost in the core voltage?

just want to know because I'm building a system for a friend and would like to know if i can quote him a low price for a 2.1B system.....i'll only do it this way if i know the CPU won't die in 6 months...because then i'll just have to refund him :) 

More about : question

May 20, 2002 5:25:49 PM

Well it would not be a true B class CPU, but it would work nicely.

Yes you can use the stock HSF at those speeds.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
May 20, 2002 5:30:37 PM

Nope, they don't overclock, AFAIK. The cheapest decent set up I can think of is an MSI 645 Ultra, 256MB PC2700 (or PC2100 if you want to save a couple of bucks, although you'll lose 5-10% performance), and an Intel P4 1.6A. Then overclock that thing to 2.13GHz and it'll be perfectly stable. An alternative would be the following (if you want a very cheap, pure intel system):

ABit BD-7
256MB PC2100
P4 1.6A@2.4GHz

Since the BD7 can lock the PCI/AGP bus, as long as you have decent PC2100 (that can handle PC2400), you'll get to 2.4GHz (150MHz FSB) in no time.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
May 20, 2002 5:38:01 PM

Opps, double post<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FUGGER on 05/20/02 10:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 20, 2002 5:38:12 PM

Doh, Intel mobo my bad for reading wrong.

You would need a FSB proggy to adjust FSB

The chipset will overclock.

May 20, 2002 5:39:59 PM

AMD_MAN, you already moved into your P4?

May 20, 2002 5:41:16 PM

Ahh, that would suck because you won't be able to even play around with the voltage. Anyway, a lot of 845G motherboards are starting to pop up so he might want to wait for th Abit BG7 or MSI 845G MAX or another 845G motherboard.

May 20, 2002 5:44:39 PM

Aye, great choice for stability but a poor choice for overclocking.

May 20, 2002 7:45:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>Does anyone know how easy it is using a new Intel 845G motherbaord with a 1.6A NW P4 to "create" a 2.1B system...it just needs the FSB to go from 100 --> 133 <p><hr></blockquote><p>If you want to overclock, then avoid Intel and/or Dell motherboards like the plague. However there is nothing wrong about using Intel chipsets like the new i845G in motherboards made by other manufacturers.

The following boards are all based on i845G:

- Abit BG7
- EPoX 4G4A+
- Gigabyte GA-8IGXP

I'm seriously thinking about selecting one of the above, but using a P4 NW 2.0A instead. However I guess it's more uncertain whether a given P4 2.0A can reach 2.67B.

VIA's new P4X333 chipset also look rather interesting and will probably be a lot cheaper due to the lack of built-in graphics which the i845G has. If you can settle for almost GeForce2 MX400 greaphics performance, I think the i845G provides the best price/performance ratio otherwise VIA's solution comes second. If you don't care about price, the i850E paired with PC1066 RDRAM beats them all.

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2002 3:59:40 AM

Now that you've heard the trash assumptions, just let me say this: Most likely you will be able to make the conversion by simply messing with the pins on the CPU, I'm looking up the information now.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 21, 2002 12:01:32 PM

yeah? that sounds interesting....keep us informed :) 
May 21, 2002 3:50:02 PM

I believe what crashman is referring to is the VID0 ~ VID4 voltage mod.

It is where you connect pins on the bottom side of the CPU to increase the default core voltage. This is a dangerous procedure for the hardcore overclocker not the novice. I declined on suggesting such.

"Now that you've heard the trash assumptions" WTF do you mean by this? You throw in your 2 cents but fail to follow thru.

Crashman, tell me Im wrong and you meant something else by that statement. Surprised you did not know the VID trick off the top of your head.

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2002 4:27:02 AM

NO FUGGER, YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN! Take a look at PAGE 19 of THIS MANUAL:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864...
Notice that you can change the BUS SPEED on INTEL MOTHERBOARDS for ANY P4 NW from 100 to 133 on "533" compatable (NW B) boards!!! By simple pin tricks!

And for the rest of you, the full voltage range can be found on the earlier revision, PAGE 13 of manual:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/24988...
When all else fails, READ THE BOOK!

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2002 4:28:20 AM

Read my last post, you can modify the bus speed on an Intel "533" board from 100 to 133 using ordinary pin tricks. I'm sure when Fugger gets his head out of his butt, he'll tell you how!

May 22, 2002 11:01:57 AM

Isn't it easier just to get a board that allows you to do all that through the BIOS?

May 22, 2002 3:43:11 PM

ROFL, Page 13 shows the VID I was talking about.

Page 19 shows the BSEL, have you tried to use a real 1.8A and set that jumper? I didnt think so. Even if you did you would stil need to adjust the vcore.

G1, Now sit back down.

I do not recomend the VID trick, it can go wrong too easy. For one you wrap pins with a wire. This wire causes the CPU to not seat 100% flat in the socket. The HSF to not meet the core flush.

I need to set the vcore on my 1.8A to 1.65v to reach 133FSB

My 2.4B (18x multiple) operates at 1.39v @ 133FSB

Its not as easy as reading pae 19 and spewing crap like you know what you are talking about. Take your own advice and read the manual.

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2002 7:58:14 PM

d00d, you are so wrong it borders on stupidity, I left the second link for everyone else, the first link gives the same type of settings I've been using to overclock Pentium 3's forever, and you don't need to wrap wires, you can drop a U shaped wire into the proper holes (mirror image of the CPU pin diagram). And doesn't it show a pin REMOVAL for the conversion anyway?
Of course it can require additional voltage, that's why I left the second link, now are you starting to understand?

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2002 7:58:56 PM

Of course, those types of mods are only for people who already OWN the Intel motherboard.

May 22, 2002 8:39:50 PM

Taping the pin on a P3 example: 66Mhz to 100Mhz by taping B121 (IIRC) is that what you mean? not sure why you are side tracking to make a different point.

Have you ever seen a socket 478 <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/guides/24989002.pd..." target="_new">assembly?</A> your telling me you would suggest people use a U shaped wire pushed into the socket and the pins from the CPU? to connect more you would have a total of 3 pins pushed into the pin holes for VID?

Using a conductive pen with fine tip is a better suggestion.

I do not suggest any of the above tricks to adjust vcore on a Intel motherboard and just changing Bsel alone might not be stable at default core.

I pray I am proved wrong with a new batch of Intel boards that will run the Northwood A with it running in the B config. That would be a dream come true.

Maybe you understand my point, Its not worth it on a Intel board to overclock. Like AMD_MAN said, get the right board.

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2002 9:17:03 PM

Damn, don't make me look up that old post on overclocking OEM Socket 370 boards.

!