  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 23, 2005 3:22:25 PM

This is partly a response to Jeff's 2e sheet thread but I post it separately
because it's not 2e. A while back there was an excel sheet advertised on
r.g.f.d and I've finally gotten around to try it -- it's pretty good! In
fact, I'd highly recommend it. It's not that expensive and works really
well.

It's basically a well-written formula'd documented spreadsheet where the
first two sheets are the front/back of a fairly standard-looking 3.5e
spreadsheet with cells you can fill in from drop down lists or by hand if
you really must. Most things are handled automatically though including
racial adjustments, class abilities, class skills identification, tallying
skill points and equipment weight/etc., error checking. It includes
everything in core including epic stuff (basically everything allowed under
d20 license or whatever). There are buckets of other tabs that you can
show/hide to handle spell books, animal companions, etc. And some sheets
available for adding custom races/classes/equipment/etc. Finally, there's a
very nice sheet that can generate a basic stat block.

Downsides:
- equipment value is still under development (this one's important to me ...
development happens pretty regularly though -- there's lots of decent
documentation available on what's been improved/fixed and when -- the author
has good forums and seems to listen to people's feedback and add it to his
to do list).
- non-core elements aren't available but ... hey, what do you want. I
haven't tried more than a few simple customizations but I feel confident
I'll be able to get my non-standard classes and races going. We'll see!

I've used this to create NPCs and PCs -- works great. I'd recommend anyone
here who wants an easy-to-use character sheet mechanism to give it a try.
There's a free trial version (which goes only up to 2nd level!) and a paid
version -- pretty reasonable price IMO for what you're getting.

Spinner

More about : excel character sheet

June 23, 2005 3:22:26 PM

"Spinner" <bprentic@uwo.ca> wrote in message

> I've used this to create NPCs and PCs -- works great. I'd recommend
> anyone here who wants an easy-to-use character sheet mechanism to give it
> a try. There's a free trial version (which goes only up to 2nd level!) and
> a paid version -- pretty reasonable price IMO for what you're getting.

How does it compare to Hero Forge?

David

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
June 23, 2005 6:40:53 PM

>> I've used this to create NPCs and PCs -- works great. I'd recommend
>> anyone here who wants an easy-to-use character sheet mechanism to give it
>> a try. There's a free trial version (which goes only up to 2nd level!)
>> and a paid version -- pretty reasonable price IMO for what you're
>> getting.
>
> How does it compare to Hero Forge?

Sorry, buddy. Don't know. Any idea where I can see Hero Forge?

Spinner
Related resources
June 23, 2005 6:40:54 PM

>>> I've used this to create NPCs and PCs -- works great. I'd recommend
>>> anyone here who wants an easy-to-use character sheet mechanism to give
>>> it a try. There's a free trial version (which goes only up to 2nd
>>> level!) and a paid version -- pretty reasonable price IMO for what
>>> you're getting.
>>
>> How does it compare to Hero Forge?
>>
> Sorry, buddy. Don't know. Any idea where I can see Hero Forge?

http://home.san.rr.com/blackbart/

There is also an ongoing support forum on yahoo...search yahoo groups on
Hero Forge if interested.

David

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
June 27, 2005 1:25:05 PM

>>> How does it compare to Hero Forge?
>>>
> http://home.san.rr.com/blackbart/
>
> There is also an ongoing support forum on yahoo...search yahoo groups on
> Hero Forge if interested.

Cool -- thanks for the tip on this. This looks like a really good sheet.
My initial impressions:

**TheOnlySheet is good because
- you type a lot of your stats right in on your sheet (maybe more
intuitive?)
- customization seems pretty straightforward to me (not sure about
HeroForge...)
- I prefer the look of the char sheet
- you can print a MM-style stat sheet
- it's got ongoing support and development (the HeroForge creator says he's
taking a break from development at the present time)

**HeroForge looks good because
- it supports MM races and a lot of expansion books and worlds
- the interface seems pretty simple to use (so far)
- it's got a lot of stuff built in that you can only do custom with TOS
(e.g., +1 weapons, mw armor, etc.)
- it's free

There's probably more to be said, but that's my first-glance assessment. I
don't mind paying for a sheet if it helps its development -- it's worth the
$15 to get a powerful and well-supported tool for this...

I'm going to give HF a try!

Spinner
June 27, 2005 2:26:39 PM

There are more than a few regsitered users who have used HeroForge
[and many other 'free' sheets] and still decided to registered for to
the D&D3.5 Multiclass Character Sheet - It would indeed be quite
interesting to know why they switched - I'll start a thread on the
forum (http://TheOnlySheet.com/forum) and see if those people could
tell us why.

You can check the Feedback & Testimony of people using the sheet -
surely a good indication about what they like about the Sheet.

Richard
Author of the D&D3.5 Multiclass Character Sheet
June 27, 2005 2:46:37 PM

> Downsides:
>- equipment value is still under development (this one's important to me ...
>development happens pretty regularly though -- there's lots of decent
>documentation available on what's been improved/fixed and when -- the >author
>has good forums and seems to listen to people's feedback and add it to >his to do list).
>- non-core elements aren't available but ... hey, what do you want. I
>haven't tried more than a few simple customizations but I feel confident
>I'll be able to get my non-standard classes and races going. We'll see!

Yes i do try to listen to the Registered users as much as possible -
Even those posting on Usenet :p

The Equipment [total] value should appear in the next major release,
with a big bunch of new features... !

Non-Core elements - It is not "legal" to use material which is not part
of the Open Game Liscence - anyone doing so (for free or not) can be
the subject of a lawsuit by said owner of those copyrights - Wizards of
the Coast say:

<<None of the contents of Wizards of the Coast products are Open Game
Content, unless specifically marked as such (currently there is no
Wizards product with Open Game Content).>>

<source = http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=dt20010416b >

This is why I do NOT use non-OGL material in my Sheet. Heroforge (and
all other Sheets I know of) are probably not legal - Perhaps the
authors do not care about copyrights or the OGL anyways?

Of course, that does'nt mean a user cannot create any existing (or
invented) class/race/whatever he wishes.... in the D&D3.5 Multiclass
Character Sheet. Actually, Customization is is one of the very strong
points of the Sheet - and if something is missing, I'am always happy to
add it.

Cheers !
Richard
http://TheOnlySheet.com
June 27, 2005 8:04:23 PM

>> http://home.san.rr.com/blackbart/
>>
>> There is also an ongoing support forum on yahoo...search yahoo groups on
>> Hero Forge if interested.
>>
> Cool -- thanks for the tip on this. This looks like a really good sheet.
> My initial impressions:
>
> **TheOnlySheet is good because
> - you type a lot of your stats right in on your sheet (maybe more
> intuitive?)
> - customization seems pretty straightforward to me (not sure about
> HeroForge...)

HeroForge customization is not a trivial task.

> - I prefer the look of the char sheet

I know that HeroForge supports the Living Greyhawk campaign, where it is the
de facto standard. In LG, the char sheet is mandated, and the HeroForge
version matchs that standard. HeroForge builds a lot of the character
development rules into the spreadsheet; whether this violates the OGL is
certainly a concern; that concern overall is one that has been mentioned by
another poster.

> - you can print a MM-style stat sheet

I like that.

> - it's got ongoing support and development (the HeroForge creator says
> he's taking a break from development at the present time)

HeroForge support has been taken over by a number of people, communicating
through a yahoo group; development is continuing, but I know nothing about
how successful that operation has been.

David

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
June 28, 2005 2:16:08 PM

> Yes i do try to listen to the Registered users as much as possible -
> Even those posting on Usenet :p

Glad you chimed in, Richard...

> <<None of the contents of Wizards of the Coast products are Open Game
> Content, unless specifically marked as such (currently there is no
> Wizards product with Open Game Content).>>
>
> <source = http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=dt20010416b >
>
> This is why I do NOT use non-OGL material in my Sheet.

I knew this but couldn't articulate it. Good addition.

> Of course, that does'nt mean a user cannot create any existing (or
> invented) class/race/whatever he wishes.... in the D&D3.5 Multiclass
> Character Sheet. Actually, Customization is is one of the very strong
> points of the Sheet - and if something is missing, I'am always happy to
> add it.

I'm a believer. So far I've only tested it out on goblins, ogres and orcs
(for last week's game in which I killed 2 PCs - ouch!!!). But my plans
include a jann, a dust mephit and a few werewolves of various levels (hoping
to implement Savage Species classes somehow) as well as some prestige
classes, feats, etc. for an epic character I have.

Spinner
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:41:11 PM

In article <3i02diFj11g9U1@individual.net>, bprentic@uwo.ca wrote:

>This is partly a response to Jeff's 2e sheet thread but I post it separately
>because it's not 2e. A while back there was an excel sheet advertised on
>r.g.f.d and I've finally gotten around to try it -- it's pretty good! In
>fact, I'd highly recommend it. It's not that expensive and works really
>well.
>
>http://theonlysheet.com/

I thought Jeff quick working on this after WotC's lawyers contacted him?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
August 25, 2005 1:02:32 AM

I contacted WotC to ask them permission to use other sources/book for
my Sheet [meaning stuff in their other non-System Reference Dicument],
but they are not interested in doing so...

So basically, all Sheets (excel or otherwise) that uses copyrighted
information are infringing on WotC's copyrights... Hence are illegal.

For a legal Sheet, try mine :)  I don't think there are any other
Sheets out there that are legal - At least, I have not yet located
another (Have you ?)

Richard
D&D3.5 Multiclass Character Sheet
The ONLY Sheet worth your time