Prescott question

It's my understanding that a Prescott processor with a revision level
of less than 8 will not work with XP SP2. I ran Intel's Processor
Frequency ID Utility and received the info shown below, which didn't
really answer the question since the rev level is shown as a letter
and not a number.

I've dug around on the Internet and have not been able to find an
answer that applies to these specifics.

My system is a Dell Dimension 4600.

Can someone please tell me whether or not I can safely install SP2?
Thanks.

Time Stamp: 2004/10/28 00:37:24
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80A GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 3
Stepping: 4
Revision: C
L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: Yes
NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
7 answers Last reply
More about prescott question

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:24:51 GMT, "Melissa Porter"
    <pipermaru@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >It's my understanding that a Prescott processor with a revision level
    >of less than 8 will not work with XP SP2. I ran Intel's Processor
    >Frequency ID Utility and received the info shown below, which didn't
    >really answer the question since the rev level is shown as a letter
    >and not a number.
    >
    >I've dug around on the Internet and have not been able to find an
    >answer that applies to these specifics.
    >
    >My system is a Dell Dimension 4600.
    >
    >Can someone please tell me whether or not I can safely install SP2?
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Time Stamp: 2004/10/28 00:37:24
    >Number of processors in system: 1
    >Current processor: #1
    >Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80A GHz
    >Type: 0
    >Family: F
    >Model: 3
    >Stepping: 4
    >Revision: C
    >L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    >L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    >L2 Cache: 1 MB
    >Packaging: FC-PGA2
    >Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
    >MMX(TM): Yes
    >SIMD: Yes
    >SIMD2: Yes
    >SIMD3: Yes
    >NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
    >Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    >Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    >Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
    >Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

    Melissa,

    You should be OK. According to this article, for Family F, Model 3,
    Stepping 4, you must have a microcode update signature (Revision) of at
    least 8. Yours is C, which is greater than 8 in hexadecimal arithmetic:
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

    Jeff Bean

    Melissa;
    See the section of the Service Pack Installation Checklist relating to
    Prescott:

    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > Melissa;
    > See the section of the Service Pack Installation Checklist relating to
    > Prescott:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

    Thanks, but this was one of the first places I looked. I'm using the
    checklist at this site as an installation guide. If there's a hex
    explanation [see Jeff Bean's post], I missed it.

    "Jeff Bean" <jeff@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:24:51 GMT, "Melissa Porter"
    > <pipermaru@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > >It's my understanding that a Prescott processor with a revision level
    > >of less than 8 will not work with XP SP2. I ran Intel's Processor
    > >Frequency ID Utility and received the info shown below, which didn't
    > >really answer the question since the rev level is shown as a letter
    > >and not a number.
    > >
    > >I've dug around on the Internet and have not been able to find an
    > >answer that applies to these specifics.
    > >
    > >My system is a Dell Dimension 4600.
    > >
    > >Can someone please tell me whether or not I can safely install SP2?
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Time Stamp: 2004/10/28 00:37:24
    > >Number of processors in system: 1
    > >Current processor: #1
    > >Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80A GHz
    > >Type: 0
    > >Family: F
    > >Model: 3
    > >Stepping: 4
    > >Revision: C
    > >L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    > >L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    > >L2 Cache: 1 MB
    > >Packaging: FC-PGA2
    > >Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
    > >MMX(TM): Yes
    > >SIMD: Yes
    > >SIMD2: Yes
    > >SIMD3: Yes
    > >NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
    > >Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    > >Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    > >Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
    > >Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
    >
    > Melissa,
    >
    > You should be OK. According to this article, for Family F, Model 3,
    > Stepping 4, you must have a microcode update signature (Revision) of at
    > least 8. Yours is C, which is greater than 8 in hexadecimal arithmetic:
    > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    >
    > Jeff Bean

    Thanks, Jeff. It's been a long time since I forgot everything I ever knew
    about hex, and this explanation never occurred to me.

    Melissa,
    Not sure about your processor but on my Pentium II 366 MHz which is in a
    5 year old Inspiron 7000 I've installed SP2 without a problem.
    Paul

    "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast,dot,net> wrote in message
    > Melissa,
    > Not sure about your processor but on my Pentium II 366 MHz which is in
    > 5 year old Inspiron 7000 I've installed SP2 without a problem.
    > Paul

    Thanks, Paul.

    > "Melissa Porter" <pipermaru@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > It's my understanding that a Prescott processor with a revision level
    > > of less than 8 will not work with XP SP2. I ran Intel's Processor
    > > Frequency ID Utility and received the info shown below, which didn't
    > > really answer the question since the rev level is shown as a letter
    > > and not a number.
    > >
    > > I've dug around on the Internet and have not been able to find an
    > > answer that applies to these specifics.
    > >
    > > My system is a Dell Dimension 4600.
    > >
    > > Can someone please tell me whether or not I can safely install SP2?
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Time Stamp: 2004/10/28 00:37:24
    > > Number of processors in system: 1
    > > Current processor: #1
    > > Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80A GHz
    > > Type: 0
    > > Family: F
    > > Model: 3
    > > Stepping: 4
    > > Revision: C
    > > L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    > > L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    > > L2 Cache: 1 MB
    > > Packaging: FC-PGA2
    > > Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
    > > MMX(TM): Yes
    > > SIMD: Yes
    > > SIMD2: Yes
    > > SIMD3: Yes
    > > NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
    > > Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    > > Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    > > Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
    > > Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

    I have that processor in my Inspiron 5200, and SP2 is working fine there. I
    have never heard anything about a specific Intel CPU not working with SP2.

Dell Processors Computers