Can I run ANYTHING game-wise w/this system?

G

OK here's a system I'm looking to purchase and put together:
Athlon XP 2000+
512mb Crucial PC2100 DDR
Iwill XP333R mobo
40GB 7200RPM Maxtor ATA133 HD (the liquid-bearing ones)
Leadtek Winfast GF4 Ti4400
Hercules Game Theater 6.1 soundcard
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers
Lite-On burner (32x12x40x) + DVD (16x40x)
Antec Performance Plus 1080B case w/430w power supply
NIC + Modem
Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
MS Natural Elite keyboard

I can get all that for about $1800-$1900 shipped. My question is with this system will I be able to run ANY games for it right now at a very good framerate, and how long before I may need to upgrade this sucker to keep game performance up? Thanks. BTW the cooler is gonna be the Silverado Noisecontrol with some Arctic Silver 3 thermal grease...should I get a shim also?

G

Uh...showing off? How is asking how long a system will last showing off? I haven't even purchased this yet.

Edit: That was a serious question too, not joking :p

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by overclocked on 05/21/02 02:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lol because thats a rockin system! good job! and you won't regret getting that case either!

no complaints here ... it'll run games for some time.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
No question, ANY game for a long time. 8x AGP is still reasonably far off. Better yet, your PC will be cake to upgrade. I would say NO to the shim (useless, unless you toss the case around) but question for you: Do you plan to overclock? If so, get a better Socket A cooler (I like the Thermaltake 7+ for 37$-43$). Is that DDR CL2.0?

<font color=green> $1,300 for new PC + $150 for OC cooling = I get fragged smoother in RTCW</font color=green>

G

I don't plan to do any overclocking; not on the CPU at least. Maybe after awhile I'll try OCing the GF4 a bit. The DDR is CL2.5....CL 2.0 is supposed to be better, isn't it? Also, is the Iwill XP333R a pretty good mobo? The board's great but I dunno about the chipset (ALi)

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
My question is with this system will I be able to run ANY games for it right now at a very good framerate
yes
how long before I may need to upgrade this sucker to keep game performance up?
at least 18 months
should I get a shim also?
no
my 2 cents...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
My question is with this system will I be able to run ANY games for it right now at a very good framerate
Umm.... No. Too slow, go buy yourself the new hp's with the 1.7ghz Celeron. The 16mb tnt would destroy anything. Really no sarcasm intended. :lol:

Blame the newbies not the technology

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I don't plan to do any overclocking
ironically...you name says otherwise...
CL 2.0 is supposed to be better, isn't it?
yes...its supposed to be slightly better...
Also, is the Iwill XP333R a pretty good mobo? The board's great but I dunno about the chipset (ALi)
yes it is....but it's pointless if you're not going to overclock (and you said that you're not).

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

G

That's not to say I don't do <i>any</i> overclocking. The computer I'm on right now is a 500mhz AMD K6-2 overclocked to 600mhz.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i was referring to your potential new system

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you're going to find it hard to play the latest games and ones that are right around the corner on that system. i would recommend dual xeon 2.2ghz, at least 1gb of pc800 ram, and scsi drives. maybe a medea scsi array would suit you?

[insert philosophical statement here]

G

Well, my father works at SGI (who, if anyone remembers, bought out Cray), and I had the oppurtunity to see one of the supercomputers. It pretty much looked like a giant high tech refridgerator...nothing special. There was one monitor output but it looked just like a basic text-based UNIX prompt, so I don't even think they have video cards :-/ Then again, they've got so much processing power they wouldn't NEED video cards, I think. They'd need the proper graphic algorithms though. Anyway uh...yeah...a dual Xeon would be sweet...

thelastguardian

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
but softwares dont usually takes advantage of duel cpu unless u do 3d stuff, and i know there is gonna be a new socket for hammer so you will have to buy a new mobo if you want to upgrade to hammer. O yeah the first question you was asking is like asking a car salesman if your newly buy Ferrari will last long enough to use all the new highway and shits.

I know what you did last summer when you install amd, and now its time for punishment!! -Intel

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
If there is even a small change of overclocking, I would go with a top notch HSF. Alpha 8045 ($30), Swiftec, or Thermaltake 7+ would work too I suppose. Stay away from Delta fans (too loud). A quieter fan with the Alpha would be tough to beat. Make sure m/b has 4 mounting holes however.

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 months."</font color=green>

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Micron PC2100, from crucial runs at CL2.5 as you stated. But I have never heard of anyone ever haveing a problem with running it at CL2. I don't know why Micron doesn't just list it as CL2.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Validation costs more? I'm certain that there are some hoops they'd need to jump through to get JEDEC (or whatever that conglomarate of companies in charge of memory standard is called) certification. Plus, it just looks good to have a product that sells at one spec and can go a step or two further without a problem. *shrugs*

-SammyBoy

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
that could be the reason.....I'm running my crucial (micron) PC2100 ram at CL2.5, but i'm told i really won't notice the difference if i shift it to CL2.0....only the benchmarks really pick up on it.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
of course, that's an amazing system and will run todays games at full frame rates and resolutions. it's just about the fastest system you can buy for gaming.

It will be fine for around 18 months. and then you'll just need a AGP card update..

for example

in August 1998 i got a Intel Pentium II 400Mhz, AsusP2B mobo, 128Mb PC100 SDRAM with a Matrox Millenium G200 8Mb AGP card. I didn't need to update anything until November 2000 when i put a Geforce 2 Ultra 64Mb in it.

(nowadays it just sits in my room acting as a router (ICS in WinXP) i think it's jealous of my new AthlonXP :)

but still, it was top of the range in August 1998, and it ran for nearly 2 years running games, with just one upgrade! so i think your system will be similar, won't need an major upgrade until 2004 probably.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Actually, I just learned today why Crucial doesn't call their PC2100 CAS2. It's because some actually don't get up there. Granted, with the recent release of PC2700 from Crucial, only the low grade parts are probably being stuck onto a PC2100 stick, as my brother just got a 512MB and 256MB stick (I don't know why... he just plays CS), and can only run the memory at stock speed. Let me just say that I was floored by that.

-SammyBoy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The XP333-R is a great board. The ALi MAGiK1 is a great chipset. In fact, it has a better record of compatability and stability than any VIA chipset made, and is a great performer when used on this particular board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?