Wireless laptop users question

ME

Ive never had any wireless equip such as a laptop or
PDA

I like the idea of having some kind of wireless unit
not only for home use...... but also travel use such as
in "hot spots"

But having never used a hot spot Im not savvy on how it
all works.

When you travle around with a wireless laptop or
PDA.... does it automatically "sense" that a signal is
available?

Basically how does it all work? Does it connect up
automatically to an available wireless network?

Also....what do you guys prefer? A wireless laptop?
Or just a wireless PDA? What form factor seems to work
out best when traveling or down out the local wireless
coffee shop?

My personal preference is a wireless notebook, because of the screen size
and readability.
A Hot-Spot is automatically found by the wireless device, but if the signal
is "encrypted" you will be prompted for a password. Most of the publicly
available hot-spots are unencrypted, as are most hotels now. When I get to
my hotel room, I just turn it on, and poof - it connects and I am on the net
after logging in (usually with room number and last name from a signon
screen that pops up).
So, as a general answer - the system will find them automatically and attach
if it is not encrypted.
PS - I LOVE WIRELESS - have it at home/office and on the road - no major
glitches at all!
Jerry

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Ive never had any wireless equip such as a laptop or
> PDA
>
> I like the idea of having some kind of wireless unit
> not only for home use...... but also travel use such as
> in "hot spots"
>
> But having never used a hot spot Im not savvy on how it
> all works.
>
> When you travle around with a wireless laptop or
> PDA.... does it automatically "sense" that a signal is
> available?
>
> Basically how does it all work? Does it connect up
> automatically to an available wireless network?
>
> Also....what do you guys prefer? A wireless laptop?
> Or just a wireless PDA? What form factor seems to work
> out best when traveling or down out the local wireless
> coffee shop?

Eugene

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Ive never had any wireless equip such as a laptop or
> PDA
>
> I like the idea of having some kind of wireless unit
> not only for home use...... but also travel use such as
> in "hot spots"
>
> But having never used a hot spot Im not savvy on how it
> all works.
>
> When you travle around with a wireless laptop or
> PDA.... does it automatically "sense" that a signal is
> available?
>
> Basically how does it all work? Does it connect up
> automatically to an available wireless network?
>
> Also....what do you guys prefer? A wireless laptop?
> Or just a wireless PDA? What form factor seems to work
> out best when traveling or down out the local wireless
> coffee shop?
Winderz is setup to autpmatically popup a message when its in range with a
wireless signal.

I went in between laptop and pda and bought a small thin light laptop.

ME

>I went in between laptop and pda and bought a small thin light laptop.

Yeah I thought abt that as well

What model do you have?

If you want the best, get the IBM Thinkpad X40. It's incredible.

Tom

"Richard Williams" <williamsteulu@btinternet.com> misattributed:
>> Winderz is setup to autpmatically popup a message when its in range with a
>> wireless signal.

>I wonder if I could butt in and ask what and where could I get this
>"Winderz"? Seems a very useful piece of kit.

I suspect he meant Windows XP's Wireless Zero Config, which pops up a
system tray balloon telling you that new wireless networks are
available (frequently including the one you thought you were connected
to. 8*)