Opinion on System for a Newbie

G

Hi all,
I am new to this site and also to building my own PC. After doing some reading I have put a system together and was wondering if I could get some opinions on the system that I put togther from you experts. The main purpose of this system is for gaming with some home use thrown in for legitamacy for my wife's sake. Here is the configuration I was thinking about:

Processor: AMD XP2100
Motherboard: ASUS a7V266E KT226A
Case: Antec 660 or 1060
Speakers: Klipsch 4.1
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
Monitor: Already own a pretty good 19"
Memory: 512 MB
VideoCard: Gainward GF4TI4200 - 128 MB
Harddrive: Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM ATA/100
Also would put in DVD, Keyboard, Mouse, 3.5" floppy, modem of course

Am i missing anything here. I am looking for a price/performance here. That means that everything does not have to be cutting edge but maybe second generation. Let me know what you guys think.

WhiT3Kr0w

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Hi!
Well I am not an expert, but I will give you my opinion.
I think thats a good config. The only thing I would change is the motherboard and the memory. You could go for the ASUS A7V333 with 512MB PC333. The Geforce4 Ti4200 is a good card for ~$200. If you dont want to spend that much money getting an ASUS A7V333 you can get the AthlonXP 2000+ CPU for a little less $$. I think this processor is the best buy for now.
Well, this was just my opinion!!

Stay cool.

What is a computer? A graphic what? Is CPU a robot from StarWars? Oh! I will just turn ON the TV!

G

Thanks for that opinion. I see your point the a7v333 is a better motherboard and only about $12 more.

FatBurger

Illustrious
But PC2700 is a bit more expensive, and unless you're going to be overclocking, you won't see much difference.

I'd replace the Audigy with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It's the same price, and a much better card.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

zigzag

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
Not sure what kind of case fans the Antec comes with, but make sure you have adequite (sp?) case airflow. Adding an addition exhaust fan makes a big difference. Other than that I dig the system!

-zigzag

G

I did not mention that I would be adding four fans to the system including hard drive cooling. I will also puchase a coolmaster heat sink and fan for the processor. Thanks for the heads up though.