Laptop Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

imachrismoose

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I wish to build my own, ultimate laptop computer, that has a separate piece of hardware which increases the laptop's power when it is docked, much like Sony's Vaio Z series Power Media Dock. My real question is, what's the best way to learn how to design and build this sort of computer? Is there a workshop, or does it require full courses in a specialized school?

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
There are a couple of do it yourself kits on the internet for laptops, but generally the parts you buy for it cost you more than just buying a pre-made one because you can usually only buy maybe 10 different options. Its a very limited market out there for built it yourself laptops.

That with the cost of no warranty and no accident protection and overheat protection make it not even worth it.

You need about 6 years of school to be able to build and program a computer, maybe more. You don't just need to solder a few parts together, you need to also know how to code the drivers and firmware for it to interact with the dock, and anything else. If what you are talking about is taking an empy desk with some papers and a pencil on it, and designing and building a laptop from that, on your own, you'd need about a 150+ IQ and a knowledge of evey component the laptop uses from the CPU/motherboard to the connections to the battery, hinges, screen, a thousand other things.

imachrismoose

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

This is awesome, it's exactly what I was looking for! Well, not really, but it's close enough, and I don't really need to know more than what I already do about computers to build it! Problem is, I don't know Korean. I'll need to translate the parts list, and for that, I'll need to find somebody who knows Korean. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Search for the term suitcase computer and you will run into a English guide on how to build one.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1568/diy_case_mods_suitcase_turned_into_pc/index.html

Not as good as the Korean build but you understand the instruction. It is pretty much making a desktop chassis out out a suitcase and fit everything in.I hope you have the all of the tools and skills to make one of those. Don't forget to post a few picture on Tom's hardware as well after you finish. I think your experience will be valuable. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS