HP Pavillion Gaming Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinky007

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hey.

My girlfriend has been having some problems with her HP Pavillion DV6 2020a laptop recently, and we are kinda stumped as to what it could be.

Basically, the problem is - Her display turns itself off when she starts games up. The time it takes to turn off varies for different games. The reason I dont think it is overheating is because she keeps it well ventilated and it has just been cleaned out recently so it's dust free. Also, when she starts games like Team Fortress 2, the display shuts off within 5 seconds of her getting to the menu screen, whereas she can play some other games like Garrysmod and Terraria for 10-30 mins without anything breaking. I have also tried updating her graphics drivers.

The laptop spec is as follows -

Processor: AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M500 2.2GHz
Memory: 3GB
HD Capacity: 320GB
Display: 15.6"
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Optical Drive: DVD-SM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Whats weird about this is that from a year ago up until 2-3 months ago she could play all games totally fine, she did have charger and battery problems but she has just received a new charger today, which had no effect, and a new battery is on the way, but I'm not sure how it could be that, the problem just appeared all of a sudden.

*EDIT*

We found the problem is that her laptop crashes if she has the charger plugged in and plays a game. If she takes it out, games run fine, but the battery doesnt last long obviously. It also doesnt work taking the battery out and trying to start games with only the charger plugged in.

Not sure what could be the problem, any ideas?

the dv6 series is notorious for heat causing the graphics chip solder to break down--probably causing more heat with the charger in

have a look in the hp forums you will see loads of people with similar problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS