Your question

Maniacal Laughter and Case Mods

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Font
Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2002 8:22:38 PM

<font color=red>Me: Ha ha ha ha ha!</font color=red>
<font color=red>Me: So Mr. Micro ATX Celeron 500 PoS Box, we meet again.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Mr. PoS: You don't scare me.</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Me: Why should you be scared? Just because you're strapped to a table? Oh here, let me show you my high RPM drill...</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Mr. PoS: Do you expect me to talk?</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Me: No, Mr. PoS. I expect you to breathe.</font color=red>
<font color=red>Me: Ha ha ha ha ha!</font color=red>

**drilling noises fill the room**

<font color=red>Me: Now, once I insert this all-powerful fan from my wife's old blow drier, you will be cool again.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Mr. PoS: You're mad! You'll never get away with it!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Me: On the contrary, I already have.</font color=red>

**fumbling noises fill the room**

<font color=red>Me: Damn. It looks like due to a minor miscalculation in overhead between your duct-taped hard drive bay and your floppy drive bay, I can't fit the blow drier fan in after all.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Mr. PoS: I told you it wouldn't work. You're mad!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Me: Maybe so, but I know something that will work almost as well.</font color=red>

**dramatic pause**

<font color=red>Me: Igor, bring me <i>the body</i>.</font color=red>
<font color=orange>Igor: Yes master.</font color=orange>

**scraping sounds coming from the basement**

<font color=orange>Igor: Here it is master, your old Pentium 133 box.</font color=orange>
<font color=red>Me: Ha ha ha! Now we'll see who is mad!</font color=red>

**I remove the extra 80mm fan from the P133's case**

<font color=red>Me: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Now I'll get you, Mr. PoS!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Mr. PoS: Noooooooo! With that I'll actually run stable!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Me: That <i>is</i> the idea, Mr. PoS.</font color=red>

**minor surgery to install new fan into front of Mr. PoS's case**

<font color=red>Me: Ha ha ha ha ha! My evil plan is complete! Now you're a stable system again. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!</font color=red>
<font color=blue><b>Mr. PoS: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!</b></font color=blue>

-------------------------

Okay, so it didn't go <i>exactly</i> like that, but I really did try to put an old blow drier fan into the front of my Micro ATX case of the PoS that is my home system. It <i>almost</i> fit. I probably could have bent the hard drive bay to make it fit or suspended it with wires between my two hard drives, but all considered, I wasn't entirely sure if that was actually a good idea or not... I didn't want a high-powered fan's elecro-magnet <i>that</i> close to my hard drives. The system is screwy enough already after all...

So, after a few minutes of deep thought, I drug up my old (and only every-so-often working, depending on how often I buy spare parts at garage sales and auctions at work) Pentium 133 and ripped out it's extra front-mounted 80mm fan. I'd have loved to use it's case instead of Cel's Micro ATX case, but being an AT case it just wasn't quite suited to Cel's motherboard, and I didn't feel up to slicing and dicing <i>that</i> much.

So now my home system has a whopping two fans. One mounted in the power supply, and one mounted in the front panel of the case. So far after the operation it has been relatively stable. However, I've only run it for an hour and a half straight, which is better than the hour that it used to BSOD/lock-up in, but still not exactly a determination of long-term stability. Everything is still sandwhiched in there pretty tightly though, and IDE cables are pretty much in the way of everything, so I hold no high hopes for 24/7 stability.

One of these days, my cheap-arsed self might actually <i>buy</i> a new full-sized mid-tower case with a decent power supply and an additional fan (or three). Until then though, this will have to do.

My advice: <b>NEVER</b> get a Micro ATX case if you plan on ever upgrading your system. The darn things just don't have enough space inside for squat. My only consolation was that I paid very little for the entire system. But it has already outlived its warantee, so I have no qualms about using duct tape and drills. ;) 

You'd laugh if you actually saw it running, but who actually looks at the inside of a case anyway? :) 

So, in keeping with the insanity of this thread, what's the most insane thing you've done to a computer case in the name of 'stability' or 'upgrade'?

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.

More about : maniacal laughter case mods

May 23, 2002 8:56:02 PM

ROFL... I don't have anything near as dramatic so I guess I can't respond. I agree with your concerns of electromagnetic interferance. Its probably a good thing that it didn't work out Einstein!
May 24, 2002 12:19:37 PM

Quote:
ROFL... I don't have anything near as dramatic so I guess I can't respond. I agree with your concerns of electromagnetic interferance. Its probably a good thing that it didn't work out Einstein!

Well, I've had plenty of cases where there would have been more than enough room to place the fan in there without it being in very close proximity to hard drives. I was hoping to find such a place in this case as well, but being a Micro ATX case and having an over-sized hard drive bay manually placed in there (it originally came with only a single hard drive tray, which, of course is never enough), there just wasn't room.

I had been hoping to get that specific hair-drier fan in there running off of a 12 volt lead because the case just has such a crappy air flow. It had no officially-designated place to even mount an extra fan, if that tells you just how poorly designed it was. So I knew putting a fan into there was going to require some drilling and a funky case mod or two anyway. I figured why not go nuts? Heh heh.

Space limitations were one good reason why not though. :( 

At least I found a fan that fit into the case much better in the end. It has no where near the air moving power, but it's better than nothing. At least now air actually circulates from the front of the case to the back. With the way that it was designed (according to incense smoke tests), it used to just circulate from the sides close to the rear to the back, leaving the hard drives and memory completely out of the circulation loop. Now, everything gets cooled at least.

However, the more I think about it, I also have to wonder... I've seen plenty of cases which have either a fan mounted right in front of the hard drive bay, or a special hard drive bay with a fan built in. It makes sense from the standpoint that hard drives can get pretty hot. So I would have to guess that hard drives must be pretty well shielded anyway. I mean if they weren't, then systems set up this way would be having some serious problems. And those are pretty standard cooling mechanisms used, so I would think it would affect a good number of systems.

So I'm pretty sure that even if I had mounted the blow-drier fan right between my hard drives (suspended with wire) it still wouldn't have wiped the data on my hard drives. I mean a fan is a fan. It isn't like any one is significantly more shielded than another. So it must be the hard drives that are shielded.

Related resources
May 24, 2002 12:34:41 PM

Good job! It has to be really cool! Just put some photos on the net and give us a link, show us the proces (and dialogue) step-by-step!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
May 24, 2002 1:18:12 PM

Quote:
Good job! It has to be really cool! Just put some photos on the net and give us a link, show us the proces (and dialogue) step-by-step!

Heh heh heh. I just might do that this weekened, if I can remember to. I've got a crappy web-cam that I can use to snap a few pics with. I'm sure some sick people will appreciate the comedic relief that it provides. ;) 

It's not exactly real cool though. It's an old piece of crap that's hobbled together to do what I need it to do. If I had the money, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. It is however good for a laugh. :) 

May 24, 2002 1:20:54 PM

I thought the dialog was hillarious. Good job!

<b><font color=green>Garbage Can?</font color=green></b>
May 24, 2002 1:31:49 PM

Quote:
I thought the dialog was hillarious. Good job!

Thanks. :) 

Although I got the impression that my wife didn't actually appreciate me calling her Igor... So it might be a while before I go that nuts again.

May 24, 2002 3:07:16 PM

Awesome, do we get a new episode next week?

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt
May 24, 2002 4:26:08 PM

Quote:
So I'm pretty sure that even if I had mounted the blow-drier fan right between my hard drives (suspended with wire) it still wouldn't have wiped the data on my hard drives. I mean a fan is a fan. It isn't like any one is significantly more shielded than another. So it must be the hard drives that are shielded.

Well actually what I was thinking was that a blow drier fan would run on AC power not DC like PC fans. The reason they use DC fans is because they emit low magnetic fields. Otherwise, we would all probably use AC fans in our cases because they tend to be much quieter. So while it is true that hardrives contain some level of protection, I don't know that it is enough to withstand AC-generated magnetic fields. I'm no expert though...can anyone else very this?
May 24, 2002 4:28:26 PM

ROFL...ahhh man...I didn't realize that "Igor" was your wife. Now *THAT* is funny!!! You gotta make sure her nickname sticks...

Give my regards to Igor! LoL
I'm tempted to call my wife Humpback...(not that she's repulsive or anything)
May 24, 2002 5:52:46 PM

Quote:
Well actually what I was thinking was that a blow drier fan would run on AC power not DC like PC fans. The reason they use DC fans is because they emit low magnetic fields. Otherwise, we would all probably use AC fans in our cases because they tend to be much quieter. So while it is true that hardrives contain some level of protection, I don't know that it is enough to withstand AC-generated magnetic fields. I'm no expert though...can anyone else very this?

I'm no expert in fan technology either. I just know that after I trimmed the resistors off of the leads to the fan power lines, it worked perfectly fine with a 9 volt battery to either blow or suck (depending on which way I connected the battery of course). It looked like it had an even better plastic casing than the computer fans I'm used to seeing, for whatever that's worth. Heh heh.

My biggest worry actually was that a blow-drier's fan probably wasn't intended for use over extended periods of time, so at some point it might burn out. I'm still contemplating attaching it to the front of the PC through a pipe (attached using epoxy) to extend it away from the case by six inches or so. The fan does have one heck of a strong breeze for use in a PC, so the alure is tempting. It'd sure look funny though. If I went that far, I'd <i>have</i> to also paint the case to look like a funny little animal or something. (Maybe an aardvark?)

I think I'll save that mod for another day of pure insanity though. Right now I'm just happy to have gotten the air flow fixed.

May 24, 2002 5:58:36 PM

Quote:
If I went that far, I'd have to also paint the case to look like a funny little animal or something. (Maybe an aardvark?)

:lol:  I can just see Igor rolling her eyes at the insanity. I give you 10/10 for creativity.

About the blowdrier (spelling? Burger is this right?). It ran off a 9V battery? Hmm... maybe it is a DC motor. I swore I though blowdriers use AC motors. Does the plug of the drier look like a AC-DC adapter? Or is it just a plastic looking plug?
May 24, 2002 6:06:14 PM

evil you are hahaha..... And they say no one understand evil genius hahaha.....I just hope the blower wont blow up with the time it running....I thought the C500 is your only comp?! If you break it we will all miss you hahaha.....BTW wouldnt it be too loud to use a old hairblower? Buy a new hairblower thats quiet (i just brought one last month and it is even quieter than my comp)

I know what you did last summer when you install amd, and now its time for punishment!! -Intel
May 24, 2002 6:36:49 PM

Quote:
I can just see Igor rolling her eyes at the insanity. I give you 10/10 for creativity.

I bet she'd get a kick out of it ... once I convince her that it won't break the system. (She gets nervous any time I ever do shop work, which is completely unwarranted since I haven't broken anything yet.)

Quote:
About the blowdrier (spelling? Burger is this right?). It ran off a 9V battery? Hmm... maybe it is a DC motor. I swore I though blowdriers use AC motors. Does the plug of the drier look like a AC-DC adapter? Or is it just a plastic looking plug?

It was an AC blowdrier, no doubt about that. It had a circuit breaker at the plug level which makes it look a lot like an adapter, but the cord from that to the actual blowdrier looks in every way AC. In fact, even inside the blowdrier there were no color variations in the wires to determine pos and neg. So I figure it had to be an AC blowdrier.

I took it apart though, since all I wanted was the fan. (I suppose I could have kept the heating element too, but I don't have a clue what I'd have used that for...) The fan had a collection of resistors wired all strangely together connecting to the fan's power leads. I cut them off though because I had no use for them. Heh heh. I'm guessing they had something to do with keeping the fan from going POOF under the pressure of AC? I dunno. Beats me why anyone would solder several resistors to the power inputs of a fan...

But anywho, after I had the fan all by its lonesome, just to test the fan I hooked just the fan up to a 9v and played around. It ran peachy-keen off of DC. So even though the fan was in an AC blowdrier, it now runs happily on DC.

May 25, 2002 8:27:46 AM

It's Alive!!!

Not bad Dr. F

Perhaps you could use it as an exhaust chimney fan. It would end up looking like a miniature Tardis.

I did lots of surgery on my first build. A sucky in the front, a sucky on the side, and two blowys on the top. Lovely temps.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
!