Sunder and repairs

This comes in 2 parts.

1) Does damage from sunder attempts accumulate, or does the damage
have to be done in one shot?
For example, if I attempt to sunder an ogre's 2H wooden club (hardness
5, 20 hp), do I have to do a single chop of 25hp or can I do 3 hits of
11 (=6), 14 (=9) and 10 (=5) ?

Either could make sense, depending on what's being attacked. Multiple
blows from an axe might demolish a shield, but I can't see one
whittling away at a greatsword.

2) Assuming that it does so accumulate, how does one repair damage
without Make Whole or Fabricate?
Mending mends small breaks, but apparently not big ones. So how might
this be translated to hp?
Craft can repair an item for 1/5 of its price, but with no reference
to how much damage is involved.

Any ideas?

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Jim Davies wrote:
> This comes in 2 parts.
>
> 1) Does damage from sunder attempts accumulate, or does the damage
> have to be done in one shot?
> For example, if I attempt to sunder an ogre's 2H wooden club (hardness
> 5, 20 hp), do I have to do a single chop of 25hp or can I do 3 hits of
> 11 (=6), 14 (=9) and 10 (=5) ?

The latter. Sunder damage accumulates just like normal HP damage.

> Either could make sense, depending on what's being attacked. Multiple
> blows from an axe might demolish a shield, but I can't see one
> whittling away at a greatsword.

Why not? I can imagine the cumulative force of blows cracking or
bending it until it finally becomes broken/unusable.

> 2) Assuming that it does so accumulate, how does one repair damage
> without Make Whole or Fabricate?
> Mending mends small breaks, but apparently not big ones. So how might
> this be translated to hp?

The rules don't say. Note that Mending works better on wooden weapons
than metal ones. I'd probably rule that it repairs a damaged or
destroyed wooden weapon, regardless of damage. As for a metal weapon,
I'd rule that it repairs 2 hps of damage. If it's broken (0 hps), it
can't be repaired, unless the 2 hps would be enough to make it as good
as new.

This seems to fit the spell description (fixing only a single break in
a metal object), and will allow Mending to repair broken rings or
daggers, just as the spell description says.

> Craft can repair an item for 1/5 of its price, but with no reference
> to how much damage is involved.

The RAW does not differentiate between a little damage and a lot, as
long as the item has at least 1 hp left. They cost the same amount to
repair, and the DC is the same.

If an item is reduced to 0 hp or less (destroyed), then it can no
longer be repaired with the Craft skill.

Laszlo

Jim Davies wrote:

> 2) Assuming that it does so accumulate, how does one repair damage
> without Make Whole or Fabricate?
> Mending mends small breaks, but apparently not big ones. So how might
> this be translated to hp?

I've seen this! I know I've seen this ... but where?
Eberron, healing warforged?
Oh, damn, this is frustrating.

Silveraxe.

Silveraxe wrote:
> Jim Davies wrote:
>>
>> 2) Assuming that it does so accumulate, how does one repair damage
>> without Make Whole or Fabricate?
>> Mending mends small breaks, but apparently not big ones. So how might
>> this be translated to hp?
>
> I've seen this! I know I've seen this ... but where?
> Eberron, healing warforged?

Nope, Warforged are immune to spells which only target objects, including
Mending and Make Whole. I've seen some people houserule Mending to work as
equivalent to Cure Minor Wounds for Warforged, but by the RAW it doesn't.

--
Mark.