Inspiron 5160 wireless to Linksys BEFW11S4 v2 router

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I was working on this in another thread on alt.internet.wireless, and I
thought I'd retitle it based on what I've learned, in the hopes someone will
notice with an answer:

I just got a Dell Inspiron 5160 with a Dell Wireless 1350 mini-PCI wireless
card built in. It will not exchange network traffic with my Linksys BEFW11S4
v2 router. Changing the channel on the router has no effect, but this isn't
an interference issue anyhow. Keep reading. :)

The router has the latest firmware and has had my old laptop with an Orinoco
Gold wireless card connect to it successfull and consistently for two years,
and also has a Tivo with a D-Link wireless dongle connecting to it
successfully for a few months now. So the router works.

The laptop has the most recent drivers for the wireless card. It also has
connected to an unsecured 802.11g router elsewhere in my apartment building,
as well as an 802.11b hotspot at a bookstore up the road. So the wireless
card works.

They just don't work together. Seeing as the router is a v2, and Linksys has
put out a v3 and a v3.2 model since, I'm willing to accept this as a
possible plain-ol' incompatibility. But before I run out and buy a new
router, I'd like some kind of confirmation.

Dell and Linksys's respective tech supports, as you might expect, were
worthless.

So I'm asking: has anyone seen this particular incompatibility? Has anyone
seen anything LIKE this particular incompatibility?
--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

BT

Since you say the 5160 has "connected to an unsecured 802.11g router elsewhere
in my apartment building", I'm wondering if you have "secured" your own Linksys
router with some setting that is preventing a connection...??

Perhaps this article might give some clues...
http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1080251780.html

Bob T.

"BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Since you say the 5160 has "connected to an unsecured 802.11g router
> elsewhere
> in my apartment building", I'm wondering if you have "secured" your own
> Linksys
> router with some setting that is preventing a connection...??

No. By that I meant they don't have WAP turned on on the other router. I've
tried everything with WAP turned off, and it behaves just the same way.

The connection is being made...it's just dead when it comes to actually
transporting network packets.
--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Are you using any security? Wep, Wpa? If so have you tried with default
settings?

Download a protocol analyzer such as ethereal and install it on you laptop.
Click start a capture (Note: you will probably have to uncheck "Captrue
Packets in promiscuous mode". Turn off the Linksys, then turn it back on.
You will be able to see any communication between the two. You may not see
the authentication, but look for an association packet and response, IP
addresses etc. At least you will know whats going on.

From the ethereal download you need the setup file and the winPcap 3.0. It
is best to ftp it to you in binary mode.

> [...]

> connecting to it successfully for a few months now. So the router
> works.
>
> The laptop has the most recent drivers for the wireless card. It also
> has connected to an unsecured 802.11g router elsewhere in my apartment
> building, as well as an 802.11b hotspot at a bookstore up the road. So
> the wireless card works.
>
> They just don't work together. Seeing as the router is a v2, and
> Linksys has put out a v3 and a v3.2 model since, I'm willing to accept
> this as a possible plain-ol' incompatibility. But before I run out and
> buy a new router, I'd like some kind of confirmation.
>
> Dell and Linksys's respective tech supports, as you might expect, were
> worthless.
>
> So I'm asking: has anyone seen this particular incompatibility? Has
> anyone seen anything LIKE this particular incompatibility?

Broadcast SSID and check that there is no MAC address security that you
forgot about.

The organic entity known as Chris Lemon communicated the following:

> The connection is being made...it's just dead when it comes to
> actually transporting network packets.

My sister-in-law has that router too and a few people have tried to get
her Acer laptop connected to it and failed. I have been there twice and
whereas my Inspiron 8600 (with 802.11b) has no problems, her laptop seems
to be connected but shows no activity.

The problems seems to be that a new connection is being set up just about
every second. Thus the computer seems to be connected but there is no
connection alive long enough to transport any data.

I drew this conclusion because the "Lease Obtained" changes by the
second.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No, checked that, and checked again right now for good measure: never
touched MAC filtering. I thought of that early on. And I leave SSID turned
on. (Bad idea, I know, but I figure, with a WEP key, if someone else in my
apartment complex wants to know I exist, let 'em.). I SWEAR I haven't
fiddled with any weird settings. The MOST I've ever done was to set up DHCP
and turn on WEP.

I AM able to get a connection, sometimes, on Channel 1, but the throughput
is pitiful, maybe 3K/second, despite adequate S/N numbers. And that's the
same regardless of WEP settings. I've tried it with WEP off, on, 64-bit,
128-bit, it's all the same.

And no matter what I do, when configured for whatever WEP setting I'm
testing at the time, the other laptop with the other card is working fine.
It is NOT the router, in and of itself.

--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

"LaVacheQuiRit" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
> My sister-in-law has that router too and a few people have tried to get
> her Acer laptop connected to it and failed. I have been there twice and
> whereas my Inspiron 8600 (with 802.11b) has no problems, her laptop seems
> to be connected but shows no activity.
>
> The problems seems to be that a new connection is being set up just about
> every second. Thus the computer seems to be connected but there is no
> connection alive long enough to transport any data.
>
> I drew this conclusion because the "Lease Obtained" changes by the
> second.
>
> Hope this helps.

It totally does. That's something for me to try tomorrow, just for giggles,
to see what happens. If the same thing happens I'm totally willing to write
it off to basic incompatibility and start shopping for an 802.11g router.
Thanks very much!

--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

i suggest updating the firmware in your linksys router. having done that
then reset it to factory defaults and start from scratch. first establish
communications and then introduce security. keep in mind that you have a
wired network port in your laptop that can come in handy when trying to
configure the router.

"Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>I was working on this in another thread on alt.internet.wireless, and I
>thought I'd retitle it based on what I've learned, in the hopes someone
>will notice with an answer:
>
> I just got a Dell Inspiron 5160 with a Dell Wireless 1350 mini-PCI
> wireless card built in. It will not exchange network traffic with my
> Linksys BEFW11S4 v2 router. Changing the channel on the router has no
> effect, but this isn't an interference issue anyhow. Keep reading. :)
>
> The router has the latest firmware and has had my old laptop with an
> Orinoco Gold wireless card connect to it successfull and consistently for
> two years, and also has a Tivo with a D-Link wireless dongle connecting to
> it successfully for a few months now. So the router works.
>
> The laptop has the most recent drivers for the wireless card. It also has
> connected to an unsecured 802.11g router elsewhere in my apartment
> building, as well as an 802.11b hotspot at a bookstore up the road. So the
> wireless card works.
>
> They just don't work together. Seeing as the router is a v2, and Linksys
> has put out a v3 and a v3.2 model since, I'm willing to accept this as a
> possible plain-ol' incompatibility. But before I run out and buy a new
> router, I'd like some kind of confirmation.
>
> Dell and Linksys's respective tech supports, as you might expect, were
> worthless.
>
> So I'm asking: has anyone seen this particular incompatibility? Has anyone
> seen anything LIKE this particular incompatibility?
> --
> Chris Lemon
> clemon79@comcast.net
> http://fredsmythe.com
> EFNet: FredSmyth

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Unplug the router. Press and hold the reset button on the back while you
plug it in and keep it held in for 40 seconds.

This will reset it to factory defaults. At least then you'll KNOW you
haven't changed anything.

Tom

> "Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>>I was working on this in another thread on alt.internet.wireless, and I
>>thought I'd retitle it based on what I've learned, in the hopes someone
>>will notice with an answer:
>>
>> I just got a Dell Inspiron 5160 with a Dell Wireless 1350 mini-PCI
>> wireless card built in. It will not exchange network traffic with my
>> Linksys BEFW11S4 v2 router. Changing the channel on the router has no
>> effect, but this isn't an interference issue anyhow. Keep reading. :)
>>
>> The router has the latest firmware and has had my old laptop with an
>> Orinoco Gold wireless card connect to it successfull and consistently for
>> two years, and also has a Tivo with a D-Link wireless dongle connecting
>> to it successfully for a few months now. So the router works.
>>
>> The laptop has the most recent drivers for the wireless card. It also has
>> connected to an unsecured 802.11g router elsewhere in my apartment
>> building, as well as an 802.11b hotspot at a bookstore up the road. So
>> the wireless card works.
>>
>> They just don't work together. Seeing as the router is a v2, and Linksys
>> has put out a v3 and a v3.2 model since, I'm willing to accept this as a
>> possible plain-ol' incompatibility. But before I run out and buy a new
>> router, I'd like some kind of confirmation.
>>
>> Dell and Linksys's respective tech supports, as you might expect, were
>> worthless.
>>
>> So I'm asking: has anyone seen this particular incompatibility? Has
>> anyone seen anything LIKE this particular incompatibility?
>> --
>> Chris Lemon
>> clemon79@comcast.net
>> http://fredsmythe.com
>> EFNet: FredSmyth
>>

> Broadcast SSID and check that there is no MAC address security that you
> forgot about.

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yeah, I don't think it will matter, but in the absence of any better ideas
and faced with buying and configuring a new router ANYHOW, it can't hurt to
try it, so I will give that a shot this weekend.

I'm also tempted to restage the Dell to the way it was configured when I got
it from the factory, again, just to be SURE (since I haven't taken the time
to configure it for my use yet, I've been struggling with this), but I'm not
sure there's a clean way to do that...the cd's that came with are all
install CD's, and I'm not sure if the initial drive image is on a seperate
partition on the hard drive...if there is, that's worth a go, too.
--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net