Athlon XP 1800 or P-4-1800

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
  • Windows XP
Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2002 3:36:46 AM

I would like to up grade my computer and i'm not sure what cpu and motherboard to get for playing games and surfing. Would like some input please. Thanks Dave

More about : athlon 1800 1800

May 24, 2002 4:15:11 AM

at the moment, i would suggest you 2 get a AMD xp range, as the soon 2 be released Tbred are most likely goin 2 stick with the same socket format.th xp1.8 is faster than the P4 1.8 in everyway and is cheaper as well.
May 24, 2002 5:01:28 AM

Definately the XP1800+ some nice DDR ram and a KT266A or KT333 chipset based motherboard.

If you are considering overclocking however, then the P4 1.8A with DDR or RDRAM will provide the most satisfaction/highest overclock.

<font color=purple>On NO account get the older P4 1.8 with 256k cache or the P4 celleron 1.8 or SDRAM!</font color=purple>

Oh yes... one other thing. Many modern computer games, particularly 3d shootemups require SIGNIFICANT grunt from the graphics card. On no account be Conned into buying a Geforce 2 MX, Geforce 4 MX 440 or even worse... Integrated graphics! *shudder*

Geforce 3 or Radeon 7500 at the minimum.

:lol:  Whats better, <font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue> or <font color=green>AMD?</font color=green> :lol:  <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 05/24/02 01:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
May 24, 2002 5:24:22 AM

Intel price drop on Monday. So the 2.26B will be under $200 and it is a real screamer that AMD has no answer for.

The Northwood B kills the XP in everything. Video and multimedia its no contest. The northwood A is about on par and still dominates in video, multimedia, games.

For unmatched stability and highest compatabilty go with the Intel.

Not sure how anyone can suggest a .18 XP when the .13 are due next month.

Now it is time for the AMD trolls to slam me and attempt to discredit me in order to win your vote. They have no manners on this forum. I am the heavy hitter for Intel and they fear me.

Ask to see some benchmarks, I will compete against any AMD on this forum. (dont be an ass and link to a liquid nitrogen XP) use your machine.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
May 24, 2002 5:34:55 AM

good god, you started off sounding reasonable, i was going to aggree with you about the 2.26b, as of now it is true that it beats amd's best. as far as suggesting .18 vs .13, if there is no over clocking there is no reason to worry about the difference. this guy/gal said they are just going to use it to surf and play games. neither are that cpu intensive so they dont need a super fast northy. you have a lot of growing to do, i am 100% certain NO one fears you.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
May 24, 2002 5:50:06 AM

sure sure, you started off great and had to poke a stick at me.

If I post to state positive info about Intel the trolls will always chime in. You know that to be a true statement.

"you have a lot of growing to do" - I did not direct my post at LHG or 10GHZ, I did not insult them or belittle them in any way. so why do you feel the need to belittle me?

Lets not start a flame thread

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2002 5:56:22 AM

If you are considering overclocking, get the P4. The AMD is a BAD IDEA if you think you will EVER overclock, because the P4 will do 2.4GHz, while the AMD will only do around 1800MHz with similar effort.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 24, 2002 6:12:37 AM

If you want to buy it now and see have the platform for some time and able to upgrade, P4 is your choice. I mostly agree with all the others. AMD will release in a few weeks the Tbred, but also Hamer (Q4 2002) need a diferent mobo. So better you invest in Intel, easy overclock without to much worry, and for sure you can upgrade the CPU. Oh yes, buy a DDR solution (I don't feel comfortable with RDRAM). Sorry? SDRAM? What the hell are you saying? ;-)

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
May 24, 2002 8:59:04 AM

I don't know how well P4's overclock but they are said to do very well in that department I did not have much luck overclocking my CPU it became a little unstable and I hate even the smallest change in stablity if it is for the worse...

I would like to see your benchies fugger (not for a compition I am not looking for anything like that I am just curious) I have never owned a P4 so I just would like to see benchies. If you could use the PCmark 2002 program I would appreciate it but whatever is convinent for you is fine. I am a diehard AMD fan but I still like to see what Intel has going for them hell I might build an Intel system some day (Guess I am not so die hard lol) just so I can see for myself how well it goes against my system here.

I am still new to computers so I have alot to learn and this is in that nature please dont think I am trying to say my system is faster because I am sure it is not.

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB
May 24, 2002 11:28:04 AM

but i think its a nice system...
the reason i go amd rather than intel is because of sheer price..
the intels are so expensive its not worth the extra money for me.. if i can get an 1.47ghz or 1.53ghz amd chip for less than a £110i aint going to buy a p4 just cos its faster at maybe three times the cost!!
it just doesnt make sense!!
i like amd because they are well priced and for that price you get a great deal. i admit that intels are faster, but they are nearly 1000mhz faster... of course (in some ways) its going to be faster..sometimes sheer clock speed does help, but sometimes it whats inside that counts more..
if amd was as optomised as intel stuff was, there would be a bit more of a fairer test, but its not, but then its not that much of fair world...
personnaly, go for an xp1800, geforce 3ti 200 or radeon 7500, kg7 motherboard (stable is their middle name), get some ddr333 memory, get a decent hard drive, basic cd rom or if you want dvd rom, get that instead, a cd-r (32 speed models i get are so darn cheap, a bit less than £50 + vat - damn i love that trade account!!) a nice fan will make the cpu last longer and keep it cooler and a nice case...
you will have a system thats fast, effiecent, and for me guessing at price, it shouldnt cost that much over say £700??? excluding a monitor, i prefer belinea or aoc.. cheap but great quality monitors... if you live in england let me know, have trade account so could probably get things cheaper than most places, even over the net..
cheers lads and lasses...

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...
May 24, 2002 1:02:32 PM

HEHE I love your sig... And you say you don't live in America? Seems very American to me hehe

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB
May 24, 2002 1:12:07 PM

nah, i just have a dont care attatude!!
i live in england, south west of england to be more exact..
its not good here, we have only got modem dial up and it sucks...
downloading movies or music vids? forget it... days have gone by and things are still not downloaded!! i think that i average about 3.5k a sec to download.. i would love to have a few things that the us has.. ie, cheap petrol.. we pay nearly £4 a gallon sometimes... thats about $6 isnt it? you pay about $1.50 dollars ??? (at a guess...) we have no cable modems down where i live, so its just dial up modems... no t1 connections... nothing... id give my right arm for one of those!! and the left foot for the petrol!!
i think i got that sig from watching the simpsons... something again great about us..
nah, im not american, but i say what i think and dont care about what happens afterwards... i think people can call it opinionated, but i just say, im my own person and i belive in what i belive not what someone else tells me!!
i think all that lot should have gone in a personal message but it wasnt me...

oh, by the way, i want the system you got !!
check mine out...

http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18250

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...
May 24, 2002 3:42:08 PM

Sure, I will post a PCmark2002 for you when I get home tonight.

It will be a first page score.

Im still holding a page 1 score in 3Dmark2001se for the passed 6 months.

May 24, 2002 3:52:02 PM

If you want to overclock, I recommend the P4, an Abit TH7II and some Samsung PC800-40. It'll hit 133 easily (bringing the CPU to 2.4), and you can get it higher without too much trouble.

If you're not looking to overclock, the Athlon is the better buy. Go for a KT266a board (most of them are worth buying, I normally recommed the MSI K7T266 Pro2) and some Crucial PC2100.

EDIT:
Since someone mentioned PCMark2002, <A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?pcm=10646" target="_new">here</A> is my score from the day it was released. PCMark2002 is incredibly buggy though. Oh, and ignore the hard drive score. It benched my 5400 RPM backup drive instead of my RAID 0.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 05/24/02 08:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 24, 2002 4:29:15 PM

you obviously have some kind of supiriority complex
"Now it is time for the AMD trolls to slam me and attempt to discredit me in order to win your vote. They have no manners on this forum. I am the heavy hitter for Intel and they fear me."
you act like your the only one who can claim intel is the best. my statement that you have a lot of growing to do is not a stick poke at you, only my conclusion after being here for some time and observing your behavior.

May 24, 2002 7:21:53 PM

Shush, no flaming.

Use PM if you have a problem, I will be more than happy to reply.

Im at 3.1Ghz, does that count as a heavy hitter? Not only do I use extreme cooling but I also volt mod my hardware. It is not realistic to compare my speeds to what you will actually get overclocking your machine.

May 24, 2002 7:29:47 PM

i dont see any flames around here. what does your over clock have to do with backing intel by being self righteous? and i dont care about your 3.1 success, as you said, "Ask to see some benchmarks, I will compete against any AMD on this forum. (dont be an ass and link to a liquid nitrogen XP) use your machine."

May 24, 2002 10:46:12 PM

Fatburger what benchmark program do you recommend?

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB
May 24, 2002 10:52:09 PM

For theoretical, Sandra, HDTach and 3DMark. For practical, whatever program you're benchmarking for; in other words, if you're a graphic artist, do Photoshop benchmarks.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 24, 2002 11:47:33 PM

Quote:
Now it is time for the AMD trolls to slam me and attempt to discredit me in order to win your vote. They have no manners on this forum. I am the heavy hitter for Intel and they fear me.

Rough translation:

Quote:
I'm right, I know it, and everyone else is wrong. Everyone else will flame me because I'm the only one who's right.

Do you realize how this makes you sound?

If you go into a debate with this attitude, it gives people the impression that you're a pariah, not a misunderstood heretic. The "ostracized martyr" defense is only really effective if you strike back <i>after</i> the fact; otherwise, it damages your credibility.

This isn't meant as a flame; instead consider it a lesson in rhetoric.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>
May 24, 2002 11:59:50 PM

If you're not going to overclock, you might as well get an AthlonXP 1800+ at less than half the price of a P4 1.8A. If you plan to overclock, you should get a P4 1.8A. In either case, you should get at least PC2100 DDR or PC800 RDRAM.

P4 1.8B's aren't showing up on PriceWatch, so a Northwood B isn't worth considering unless you're willing to pay for a higher speed grade.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>
May 25, 2002 2:56:21 AM

Thanks for proving my point.

No matter what I post, troll like yourself have to add your two cents directed at me reguardless of topic just to be dick.

"Now it is time for the AMD trolls to slam me and attempt to discredit me in order to win your vote. They have no manners on this forum. I am the heavy hitter for Intel and they fear me."

Grats to you for being that dick.

May 25, 2002 3:14:05 AM

"I dont see any flames around here." get off my ass and quit trying to start crap. if you don't like what I post, ignore me.

May 25, 2002 6:51:07 AM

Quote:
get off my ass and quit trying to start crap.

He didn't start anything. You did.

Quote:
Grats to you for being that dick.

Hey, I'm just trying to help you understand why you have such a hard time getting any respect. You can face facts, or you can try this same defense to keep making excuses for yourself. It's your life and your reputation.

Quote:
If I post to state positive info about Intel the trolls will always chime in. You know that to be a true statement.

Yes, we know that to be a true statement--as long as it's <i>you</i> posting the info.

Plenty of other people (Crashman, FatBurger, charlie2uk, etc. etc.) post pro-Intel info without getting flamed. We know this to be a true statement.

Quote:
Use PM if you have a problem, I will be more than happy to reply.

Public FUD and public antagonism deserves a public refutation; both the FUD and antagonism was started by you.

May 25, 2002 7:00:53 AM

bah, it's no use. maybe he wasn't held enough as a child :p 

[insert philosophical statement here]
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2002 7:09:27 AM

This is why I'll take an XP1800 and stay with AMD...

How many times has Intel changed their socket, slot standard?!
Socket 7, Socket 8, Slot 1, Slot 2, Socket 370, Socket 423, etc.

Amd has changed 3 times.
Super Socket 7, Slot A, Socket A.

Now I look at my AMD Athlon Mobo and see hey it can take a Duron, Thunderbird, XP, plus with Bios updates will take future chips such as the TBRED

For people went and bought P3 boards are now fu**ed cause it won't take a P4.
There is talk of changing the P4 socket type for the new 2.3GHz chip?

Need I say more?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Barry_V88 on 05/25/02 03:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 25, 2002 12:31:35 PM

You would get nothing of out of putting a P4 into a P3 board that only supports sdram. P4 is new architecture. I cant wait to see you post your gripe with AMD later this year when they release the hammer and their new socket. Ridiculous. Let's all stay stuck on PC66 sdram and ata33......running a 9.7ghz proc.

I sold my sig for $50.
May 25, 2002 5:39:20 PM

I got bored of reading everyones reply's so I am saying this in my oppionion(sp?).

I have always been an AMD man, I even liked the K6 days (Why? I don't know), but recently I've decided that if I upgrade in the future I will go Intel.

Three reasons:

1. AMD is great on price vs. performance, but Intel is more powerful overall.

2. Intel beats AMD in rendering. I do a lot of rendering. Plus I can't see a differnece at all between the two of then in game, it's all the GPU there.

3. I live in Portland, OR. Intel is based here. I guess I really should support our economy and jobs for us tech people.

-<font color=green>"<i>Tis not a <b>man</b>, tis a <b>monster</b>!</i>"</font color=green>
May 25, 2002 5:55:56 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that even "the dell dude" knew that a P4 is totally different from a p3.

your arguement is baseless and stupid.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
May 25, 2002 7:27:39 PM

Quote:

First off, as Fugger said, SDRAM and P4 is a pair made in hell. (means, may as well burn that money for heat)

2nd, "2.3GHz" chip doesn't exist, only 2.2 and 2.26 and 2.4. No 2.3. And anyways, the P4s right now don't require a new board. I haven't heard anything about new boards until Prescott, which is almost a year away. And about the many socket changes, well that's like saying Intel changed their sockets 8 times, but my Chuckie's Chip Manufacturing Inc. only has one. AMD's been around a lot less than Intel. Maybe not to warrant the extra 5 (4 when Hammer comes out) sockets, but at least a couple.

This is to say that before next time you post, you may want to actually do some research, or this is the response you're going to get again. Worthless posts deserve these kinds of responses. That goes for everyone and not just AMD or Intel fans. I like AMD, nothing against them, but I hate it when people spread crap about Intel. Think about the newbies here that read your crap and learn from it. Doesn't do them any good. Hopefully this'll be a good lesson learned.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek: 
May 26, 2002 1:25:11 AM

Good job turning this thread into a op to bash me some more(you cannot help yourself). Take off your troll suit and be a man in responding without trying to bash me.

"P4 1.8B's aren't showing up on PriceWatch, so a Northwood B isn't worth considering unless you're willing to pay for a higher speed grade." Try and do some research before you post useless info. Not exactly FUD but it is completely wrong like most everyting else you post.

The 1.8B?? you mean the <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/24B.JPG" target="_new">2.4B</A> CPU (it has 18x multiple)

Here is a <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/products/desk_lap/processors/deskt..." target="_new">clue</A>

Lowest speed grade is a 2.26Ghz that will reach 3Ghz OC'd and price drop on monday.

May 26, 2002 1:28:27 AM

I didnt forget, just getting to it now.

Downloading...

May 26, 2002 2:00:49 AM

Quote:
"P4 1.8B's aren't showing up on PriceWatch, so a Northwood B isn't worth considering unless you're willing to pay for a higher speed grade." Try and do some research before you post useless info. Not exactly FUD but it is completely wrong like most everyting else you post.

The 1.8B?? you mean the 2.4B CPU (it has 18x multiple)

What was "completely wrong" about my statement?

I stated that P4 1.8B's weren't on pricewatch. This is perfectly true.

I stated that Northwood B's weren't worth considering unless he was willing to pay for higher speed grades. Once again, this is perfectly true.

Whatever you may say about me not keeping up with Intel product lists, my advice on this point turned out to be sound. I just gathered the relevant info from an equally reliable source.

By the way, thanks for confirming my info with specifics.

May 26, 2002 12:19:35 PM

I doubt 1.8Bs will exist.....but I would recommend to anyone buying a new system right now to buy a system that supports the 533 Bus of the "B". The current AXP socket is approaching its end, and the highest youre gonna get in the future isnt gonna be much more than a 2500+(if that at all). At least with a B you're almost gauranteed to see 3ghz+ on that platform. Yeah, you spend a few more greenbacks now, but you still have the option of upgrading the cpu later...Plus you get SSE2, big bad 1066rdram, and if you go intel CSet...stability.

I sold my sig for $50.
May 26, 2002 9:19:32 PM

Quote:
and the highest youre gonna get in the future isnt gonna be much more than a 2500+(if that at all). At least with a B you're almost gauranteed to see 3ghz+ on that platform.

Amd demoed a tbred 2800+, thus you will most likely find tbreds which overclock to at least 2800+, thus your socket has far to go before its obsolete.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
May 26, 2002 9:51:07 PM

I think the Dell Dude would have understood Barry's point. Apparently you missed it.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.
May 26, 2002 10:26:25 PM

You know it'd be a bit better if the guy who made this topic would at least post again so we'd know what his intentions are, instead of just waiting to see... while some are fighting.

--
I can't beleive Dungeon Siege has a pitchfork weapon called "Hoe"! :lol: 
May 26, 2002 10:50:21 PM

Probably just wanted to see the fur fly.... lol :smile:

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek: 
May 27, 2002 4:59:58 AM

"I stated that P4 1.8B's weren't on pricewatch. This is perfectly true."

where did you get 1.8B from? The 2.4B are on pricewatch (18xmultiple).

Your advice is not sound when you make up a processor that does not exist. It was not announced by Intel and you base your recomendation off it due to its imaginary price.

Does any other AMD fan want to back him up on the 1.8B?

Maybe I am missing something, a 13.5 multiple would be nice. but even the 2.26B has a 17x multiple so I know thats not confusing you.

Maybe you were making a conundrum, but obviously your wrong.

May 27, 2002 7:19:52 AM

Quote:
where did you get 1.8B from? The 2.4B are on pricewatch (18xmultiple).

I pulled that figure because the one who started this thread is specifically asking about P4's at 1.8GHz, or an AthlonXP 1800+. He's not asking about P4 2.4's or 2.53's, presumably because he's not willing to pay for such an expensive part.

Quote:
Your advice is not sound when you make up a processor that does not exist.

I never said it existed or didn't exist; I merely stated it wasn't showing up on PriceWatch. That's the same as "doesn't exist" to just about any parts shopper, so yes, my advice is sound.

May 27, 2002 11:29:59 AM

I remember that, but I hear so many different figures, and bits of information concerning the t-bred that I dont know what to believe. Mostly Ive been reading that there isnt much of a performance jump from palomino. +2800 is pretty high, is that using the same PR formula?......AMD Wont release higher than a 2200+ at tbred launch? Thats some more ass dragging......Guess theyre still clearing out inventory.

I sold my sig for $50.
May 27, 2002 12:43:36 PM

I do not think amd will release a tbred @2800+, the hammer will come out long before that, however that does not stop us from overclocking to that point.

The fact amd demoed a working aircooled 2800+ long ago, gives me faith that the tbred will be quite the overclocker.

May 27, 2002 4:07:52 PM

Dave, whats your price range? That would help a lot in suggestions. And if your upgrading whole machine.

Prices are dropping now, choose in your price range, the northwood B is the newest Intel version and features a 533FSB. This version is currently the best to get.

I expect the slowest Northwood B @ 2.26Ghz should be close to $200. A much better value than the 1.8A so keep an eye on <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">pricewatch.com</A>

Intel does not make a Northwood B at 1800Mhz.

AMD is due to release the new XP in a few weeks, Im not sure how they will price it against older parts with the same PR rating of +1800.

Hopefully Dave did not run away screaming from the THGC forum.

Mavrick, here is <A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?pcm=354110" target="_new">My PCMark2002</A> benchmarks.

Im off to the lake, Have a great Memorial Day!

May 27, 2002 5:02:34 PM

quote: I would like to up grade my computer and i'm not sure what cpu and motherboard to get for playing games and surfing.

===========================================================

if your interested in gaming performance, than the question you should be asking is not what cpu u want to be using, but what videocard, since this componet is going to contribute the most to your needs.

i would suggest saving some money on the cpu (AMD's 1800+ is much cheaper than the intel cpu and performs within 5%(+)(-) in almost all applications. with this said, the intel 1.6a gh seems to be another good option if your interested in overclocking, since this cpu is known to have alot of overhead (you will require quality ram and mobo and heatsink fan to acomplish this). but you should still be able to get a few hundred extra mhz even with your AMD cpu with decient cooling (if your interested in overclocking that is, note: you will need quality hsf, pc2700+memory and mobo w/voltage and multiplier setting changes.)

anyhow, with all this extra money, i would highly reccomend getting a gforce4 4400 video card, since they are the best performance for the buck. they perform within 5% of a gforce4 4600, but cost much less (-$100) you should be able to pick one of these cards up for say around $225 over at newegg.com

my point is, that even with a powerful cpu in your system, your still going to get average gaming without a good graphics processor. on the other hand, you can still have an average cpu, and obtain lightning fast 3d gaming performance with a fast gpu (graphics processing unit)

hope this is helpful...

athlon1gh@1.4gh avia
asus a7v133 w/raid
gforce3 ti 500@255core/570memory<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by franksterrr on 05/27/02 09:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 27, 2002 10:21:47 PM

Without his budget it is hard say.

May 28, 2002 2:45:42 AM

Yeah, seems the way to go at the minute. Its too bad intel Australia are dragging their friggin feet in terms of pricing for the northwood a. I don't even think northwood b is here yet.

AMD still enjoy a price edge here, although i've heard intel have some huge price cuts on the way. The best advice would be for him to wait a little i'd say.
May 28, 2002 7:02:15 AM

indeed
Northwoods downunder are rare and expensive blighters...
best ive seen thus far is the 2.2A.

and us ozzies can forget about PC1066!

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!
May 28, 2002 9:01:52 AM

Quote:
I would like to up grade my computer and i'm not sure what cpu and motherboard to get for playing games and surfing. Would like some input please. Thanks Dave

I'm sorry that you couldn't get a reasonable answer. Let me try since the only thing I'm seeing is a cock fight going on.

Without your budget I can only make assumptions based on the title. Therefore we are only dealing with the 1.8 GHz P4 Willy, 1.8 Ghz Northwood A, and the XP 1800+. I am also not sure if you want to overclock so we'll have to deal with that as well. I'm excluding any Northwood B's for 2 reasons. One is that there is no 1.8 Ghz and two is that the 2.4 Ghz cost $400 and the 2.26 Ghz costs close to $300. If you're a gamer and a surfer then you don't need the fastest CPU out there. Your needs don't warrant spending $300-$400 on a CPU. In my opinion at least.

The 1.8 Ghz Willy is a miserable peformer so by no means buy it. Make sure you buy the Northwood version if you go that route. This is really important to recognize. The Northwood has 512K of cache.

The Northwood P4 1.8 Ghz costs roughly $180. The Athlon XP 1800+ costs $95. If you aren't overclocking then I would definitely get the XP. If you are overclocking I would get the P4. Then realize that you should fork out cash for a good video card. This CPU argument that you've witnessed above is a waste of your time. You should now figure out what video card you want. Budget to spend as much as possible.

AMD is releasing a new core on June 10th, I believe, so you should try to wait until then for a price drop. Depending on your budget you might want to consider the new athlon or the new P4 Northwood with the 533Mhz bus at that time. Hopefully they'll both be available at roughly $200. Read the reviews on the Athlon "Tbred" when it comes out to see how it does. Also consider the cost for memory and a motherboard. If you're overclocking you will want to buy very specific ones that peform well.

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>
May 28, 2002 5:04:35 PM

Quote:
<i>Barry_V88 says:</i>
How many times has Intel changed their socket, slot standard?!

And you bought a motherboard and CPU for every different socket?

Quote:
Now I look at my AMD Athlon Mobo and see hey it can take a Duron, Thunderbird, XP, plus with Bios updates will take future chips such as the TBRED

Too bad my (and others') KT7a didn't leave me with that option.

Quote:

You're right, and the people that bought a Slot A Athlon are now "fu**ed" because they won't take a Hammer. I'm missing your point...?

Quote:
Need I say more?

I don't need more points, just ones that haven't been said a million times and hold a bit more water.

Quote:
<i>LED says:</i>
Let's all stay stuck on PC66 sdram and ata33......running a 9.7ghz proc.

Yes, exactly my feelings. I don't like 423->478, but from my experience there are few people that do more than one upgrade of just a CPU. And most people buy whole new systems when the time comes.

Quote:
<i>Kanaz says:</i>
I live in Portland, OR

That makes 5 of us, though wolverino79 isn't around anymore.

Quote:
<i>Matisaro says:</i>
Amd demoed a tbred 2800+,

It was ONE CPU. I don't care if AMD demos a Tbred at 10GHz with air cooling, it's still ONE CPU, and should not be indicative of the entire line. If anything, the samples floating around the net (more than one) should be indicative.

Quote:
<i>Black_Cat says:</i>
I think the Dell Dude would have understood Barry's point.

I think the Dell Dude should be publicly flogged, shall we start a petition? :tongue:

Quote:
<i>lhgpoobaa says:</i>
and us ozzies can forget about PC1066!

It'll be another week or so before PC1066 is really around here in America, too.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
May 28, 2002 10:56:56 PM

Quote:
It was ONE CPU. I don't care if AMD demos a Tbred at 10GHz with air cooling, it's still ONE CPU, and should not be indicative of the entire line. If anything, the samples floating around the net (more than one) should be indicative.

Burger burger burger, where theres one, theres many, the fact they even have an aircooled 2800+ shows that the line is cabable of getting there.

The samples floating around on the net are starting to do close to the 2800+, that overclocked tbred in the other thread @2.15ghz, thats only 50mhz shy of 2800+.

• 1 / 2
      • Newest
!