Idea on deciding which feats/PrCs/etc to allow

Here's what you do as DM:

Pick a conservative group of books from which all options will be
allowed... For example, PHB, DMG, and the four "Complete" books.

Allow other stuff on a case-by-case basis.

If a player wants to use something not in your group of "allowed" books,
get online.

Go to your favorite search engine.

Do a web search using keywords "Character" "Optimization" "XXX", where
"XXX" is the feat/PrC/whatever in question.

If it is mentioned more than two or three times on the WotC Character
Optimization boards, it is right out.

This handily eliminates such over-the-top nonsense as "Nymph's Kiss",
"Vow of Poverty", and "Item Familiar".

Enjoy!

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
> Here's what you do as DM:
>
> Pick a conservative group of books from which all options will be
> allowed... For example, PHB, DMG, and the four "Complete" books.
>
> Allow other stuff on a case-by-case basis.
>
> If a player wants to use something not in your group of "allowed" books,
> get online.
>
> Go to your favorite search engine.
>
> Do a web search using keywords "Character" "Optimization" "XXX", where
> "XXX" is the feat/PrC/whatever in question.
>
> If it is mentioned more than two or three times on the WotC Character
> Optimization boards, it is right out.
>
> This handily eliminates such over-the-top nonsense as "Nymph's Kiss",
> "Vow of Poverty", and "Item Familiar".

I actually do this (except I don't really have to search Google, since
I read the CO board regularly).

The method needs more finesse, though; there are plenty of character
options that are perfectly well balanced (and very interesting), except
for a weird rules abuse or two which puts them over the top. Sublime
Chord is a perfect example (and you'll find it all over the CO board).
In these cases, it's much better to ban the specific rules abuse, not
the whole option.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> >
> > Werebat wrote:
> >
> >>Here's what you do as DM:
> >>
> >>Pick a conservative group of books from which all options will be
> >>allowed... For example, PHB, DMG, and the four "Complete" books.
> >>
> >>Allow other stuff on a case-by-case basis.
> >>
> >>If a player wants to use something not in your group of "allowed" books,
> >>get online.
> >>
> >>Go to your favorite search engine.
> >>
> >>Do a web search using keywords "Character" "Optimization" "XXX", where
> >>"XXX" is the feat/PrC/whatever in question.
> >>
> >>If it is mentioned more than two or three times on the WotC Character
> >>Optimization boards, it is right out.
> >>
> >>This handily eliminates such over-the-top nonsense as "Nymph's Kiss",
> >>"Vow of Poverty", and "Item Familiar".
> >

> > I actually do this (except I don't really have to search Google, since
> > I read the CO board regularly).
> >
> > The method needs more finesse, though; there are plenty of character
> > options that are perfectly well balanced (and very interesting), except
> > for a weird rules abuse or two which puts them over the top. Sublime
> > Chord is a perfect example (and you'll find it all over the CO board).
> > In these cases, it's much better to ban the specific rules abuse, not
> > the whole option.
>
> Unfortunately, you are right.
>
> The problem is that some players, once they realize this, will try to
> finagle the same way they do when they don't have a rule like this
> staring them in the face.
>
> "Well it's really not any more powerful than Power Attack, when you
> think about it..."
>
> Bah.
>
> It's best to just stick with the hard and fast rule. The loss of
> Sublime Chord, etc. is a little sad, but much less annoying than opening
> up a can of worms for the finagling player to do his cat's cradle BS with.
>
> If you're fortunate enough to not have such a player, being lenient is
> more of an option. If you do have such a player, though, they'll sense
> your "weakness" and pounce.

I know the feeling. I _do_ have such a player. To avoid problems, I
always tell my players to tell me their character advancement plans in
advance, especially if they're planning on some funky combo or obscure
feat. That way, they won't be unpleasantly surprised.

I still catch flak for it sometimes, though. In my current campaign,
one of my players was playing a Whisper Gnome rogue. He wanted to take
Titan Fighting (Races of Stone, I think). I took one look at the feat,
declared it overpowered, and suggested some fixes.

Well, he didn't like any of the fixes, and ended up not taking the
feat. In the next battle, he rushed straight into a mass of monsters
and got killed (he's not the most tactically adept person). I'm still
getting flak about how his poor gnome would have survived if I'd let
him take the feat.

This player always keeps me on my toes... before the gnome, his last
character was a Dweomerkeeper, which should ring warning bells for
anyone who's familiar with the class.

> Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?

I'll answer this tonight, when I have access to my books.

> On Kineticists with Energy Stun and Energy Missile?

There are very few truly overpowered psionic powers. Energy Stun,
Energy Missile, and Ego Whip are the three big ones (I'm still on the
fence about Vigor).

I'd nerf all three. They are far too powerful and versatile.

> On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?

Again, I'll have to check my books. I've never had a Raptorian PC.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:
> Here's what you do as DM:
>
> Pick a conservative group of books from which all options will be
> allowed... For example, PHB, DMG, and the four "Complete" books.
>
> Allow other stuff on a case-by-case basis.
>
> If a player wants to use something not in your group of "allowed" books,
> get online.
>
> Go to your favorite search engine.
>
> Do a web search using keywords "Character" "Optimization" "XXX", where
> "XXX" is the feat/PrC/whatever in question.
>
> If it is mentioned more than two or three times on the WotC Character
> Optimization boards, it is right out.
>
> This handily eliminates such over-the-top nonsense as "Nymph's Kiss",
> "Vow of Poverty", and "Item Familiar".

You could just go with Hong's rule of thumb, and ban everything.

Actually I like your idea, I just banned the entire Book of Exaulted
Deeds because of the horror stories I'd heard. I've allowed the
complete books, but I'm a bit worried about it. I'd thought of banning
everything, and just using the core books.

I'd actually find such a list extremely useful since I like to give
players as many options as possible, but don't want to worry about all
the abuses. I'm sure a bunch of other DMs would as well, if anyone
feels up to it we could start the "net list of banned 3.5 feats & PRCs"
or some such. Other things to consider banning would be items (like
mercureal swords), spells (dominate monster comes to mind), and
domains.

One could start with that, then go on to fixes that the majority can
agree on if people are interested enough. I'm pretty exited about
this idea!

- Justisaur
justisaur.rpgpit.com

Werebat wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> >
> > Werebat wrote:
> >
> >>Here's what you do as DM:
> >>
> >>Pick a conservative group of books from which all options will be
> >>allowed... For example, PHB, DMG, and the four "Complete" books.
> >>
> >>Allow other stuff on a case-by-case basis.
> >>
> >>If a player wants to use something not in your group of "allowed" books,
> >>get online.
> >>
> >>Go to your favorite search engine.
> >>
> >>Do a web search using keywords "Character" "Optimization" "XXX", where
> >>"XXX" is the feat/PrC/whatever in question.
> >>
> >>If it is mentioned more than two or three times on the WotC Character
> >>Optimization boards, it is right out.
> >>
> >>This handily eliminates such over-the-top nonsense as "Nymph's Kiss",
> >>"Vow of Poverty", and "Item Familiar".
> >

> > I actually do this (except I don't really have to search Google, since
> > I read the CO board regularly).
> >
> > The method needs more finesse, though; there are plenty of character
> > options that are perfectly well balanced (and very interesting), except
> > for a weird rules abuse or two which puts them over the top. Sublime
> > Chord is a perfect example (and you'll find it all over the CO board).
> > In these cases, it's much better to ban the specific rules abuse, not
> > the whole option.
>
> Unfortunately, you are right.
>
> The problem is that some players, once they realize this, will try to
> finagle the same way they do when they don't have a rule like this
> staring them in the face.
>
> "Well it's really not any more powerful than Power Attack, when you
> think about it..."
>
> Bah.
>
> It's best to just stick with the hard and fast rule. The loss of
> Sublime Chord, etc. is a little sad, but much less annoying than opening
> up a can of worms for the finagling player to do his cat's cradle BS with.
>
> If you're fortunate enough to not have such a player, being lenient is
> more of an option. If you do have such a player, though, they'll sense
> your "weakness" and pounce.

I've got a player who would do just this. And if you don't ban the
items, and you don't have a player who would do this, you never know if
you might pick up a player who would. best to be fair and just get it
out of the way to begin with.

> Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?

Which book is this from?

> On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?

And this?

- Justisaur

Sheldon England wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
> >
> > You could just go with Hong's rule of thumb, and ban everything.
> >
> > Actually I like your idea, I just banned the entire Book of Exaulted
> > Deeds because of the horror stories I'd heard. I've allowed the
> > complete books, but I'm a bit worried about it. I'd thought of banning
> > everything, and just using the core books.
>
> Our GM allows anything from the four key books by default. He also uses
> a certificate system in which, at the end of each session, he hands out
> a yellow "good roleplaying" cert. as applicable (usually just one per
> session per group), the purple "whoops, you were right, I was wrong"
> cert. (which is rare because the bastard knows the rules inside and out
> <g>) and every player gets one blue "+1 to any roll" cert. (which can be
> stacked).
>
> There are others but the relevant one to this post is the yellow one. It
> allows a player to choose any feat, PrC, or spell from any non-core book
> "with the GM's approval." No yellow cert, no funky PrC.
>
> It keeps us players with our feet mainly on the ground but also allows
> great roleplayers the opportunity to improve/train beyond the core rules
> and do something different. BTW, the GM doesn't decide who gets the
> yellow cert. -- the players do.

This wouldn't work in my game. Unfortunately the serial rules rapist
I've got is also an excelent RPer. He just loves the spotlight, and I
have to keep a close eye on him so the other players don't feel he's
hogging it too much. He's playing a relatively tame (in comparison to
his usual characters) spiked chain trip based fighter this game, and
even with that some of the other players have been complaining his
character is overpowered.

- Justisaur

Werebat wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
>

> > Werebat wrote:

> >>Unfortunately, you are right.
> >>
> >>The problem is that some players, once they realize this, will try to
> >>finagle the same way they do when they don't have a rule like this
> >>staring them in the face.
> >>
> >>"Well it's really not any more powerful than Power Attack, when you
> >>think about it..."
> >>
> >>Bah.
> >>
> >>It's best to just stick with the hard and fast rule. The loss of
> >>Sublime Chord, etc. is a little sad, but much less annoying than opening
> >>up a can of worms for the finagling player to do his cat's cradle BS with.
> >>
> >>If you're fortunate enough to not have such a player, being lenient is
> >>more of an option. If you do have such a player, though, they'll sense
> >>your "weakness" and pounce.
> >

> > I've got a player who would do just this. And if you don't ban the
> > items, and you don't have a player who would do this, you never know if
> > you might pick up a player who would. best to be fair and just get it
> > out of the way to begin with.
> >

> >>Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?
> >
> > Which book is this from?
>
> Complete Arcane, which is one reason why it is problematic -- it is
> close to "core".

I hardly consider them close to core, they are option books much like
the old 2e ones, whch were often banned in many DM's campains.

> >>On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?
> >
> > And this?
>
> Races of the Wild, I think. I don't have the book, one of my players
> wants to have one for a cohort.

Don't have access to that one.

One of the problems is the options are starting to get a bit out of
hand like the old 2e days... So many books... So little time for a DM.

Maybe I'll go back to my old 2e rule. I have to have the book, if I
don't you can buy it for me and get a freebee out of it.

- Justisaur

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

>>>I actually do this (except I don't really have to search Google, since
>>>I read the CO board regularly).
>>>
>>>The method needs more finesse, though; there are plenty of character
>>>options that are perfectly well balanced (and very interesting), except
>>>for a weird rules abuse or two which puts them over the top. Sublime
>>>Chord is a perfect example (and you'll find it all over the CO board).
>>>In these cases, it's much better to ban the specific rules abuse, not
>>>the whole option.
>>
>>Unfortunately, you are right.
>>
>>The problem is that some players, once they realize this, will try to
>>finagle the same way they do when they don't have a rule like this
>>staring them in the face.
>>
>>"Well it's really not any more powerful than Power Attack, when you
>>think about it..."
>>
>>Bah.
>>
>>It's best to just stick with the hard and fast rule. The loss of
>>Sublime Chord, etc. is a little sad, but much less annoying than opening
>>up a can of worms for the finagling player to do his cat's cradle BS with.
>>
>>If you're fortunate enough to not have such a player, being lenient is
>>more of an option. If you do have such a player, though, they'll sense
>>your "weakness" and pounce.
>

> I know the feeling. I _do_ have such a player. To avoid problems, I
> always tell my players to tell me their character advancement plans in
> advance, especially if they're planning on some funky combo or obscure
> feat. That way, they won't be unpleasantly surprised.

This is a good idea, and one I always mean to enforce but never do. I
should bring it up next session.

Trouble is, only 2-3 of the players (myself included) actually bother to
graph out character advancement in advance like that. The others would
find it to be a chore.

*Prediction Mode On*

So I'd tell them they didn't HAVE to do it, but if they didn't, I
wouldn't be responsible if/when they had some pivotal feat or PrC nerfed
on them. And when it inevitably happened, they'd get pissed anyway.

*Prediction Mode Off*

Heh. Yeah, that's pretty much how it'd go.

>>Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?
>

> I'll answer this tonight, when I have access to my books.

Sure -- I'm always curious what people think. I myself am in a bit of a
funny situation with it, as one of my players has just taken it for his
cohort. This player is the other local DM, and I have an interest in
playing a cleric of Pelor in the future (which would invariably be in
one of his future games). While I plan to focus him on Thaumaturge, I
recognize that I'd be a fool not to dip into RSP with him on the way, so
I'm leery about banning it unless it really needs to be banned. :^)

The two of us recently had to come to an "arrangement" about Web, as it
seemed overpowered in the hands of his wizard and I had a fighter/rogue
with UMD maxed out in his game. As written, Web is a spell where you
are generally screwed even if you make your save, so my wand-armed
fighter/rogue would be nearly as much of a threat as his wizard in the
web department. We had sort of a MAD thing going on there and ended up
nerfing Web somewhat (DC 5+ to move through after breaking out, instead
of 10+).

>>On Kineticists with Energy Stun and Energy Missile?
>

> There are very few truly overpowered psionic powers. Energy Stun,
> Energy Missile, and Ego Whip are the three big ones (I'm still on the
> fence about Vigor).

LOL and the player IMC who gives me headaches with this sort of thing
was playing a Kineticist with guess which powers? ;^)

(Clarification -- he didn't have Ego Whip. He did have Vigor and Energy
Stun. I think he was planning on getting Energy Missile.)

In the end I toned down Energy Stun by using the common houserule of
dropping the nonstandard DC pump, and standardizing all of the energy
effects to fire's +1 damage per die (nerfing the electric stun). The
player got frustrated and quit the character to play a bard with Nymph's
Kiss, which I later looked at more closely when he wanted his cohort to
take Nymph's Kiss, too, and nerfed. :^/

I had also had to nerf the psicrystal "pet" of the Kineticist character
because it was too easy to use it as a scout that could die over and
over again and come back at no real cost after 24 hours. But that's
another story. And one I still don't completely understand.

> I'd nerf all three. They are far too powerful and versatile.
>

>>On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?
>

> Again, I'll have to check my books. I've never had a Raptorian PC.

The clerical racial substitution levels for Raptorians in Races of the
Wild reminded me of the Radiant Servant of Pelor in that they almost
seemed designed to be "stealth cheese", because they were clearly more
powerful than the standard cleric levels at no real cost, but not
*extremely* so. They can summon air elementals at one spell level lower
than they should, for example, but don't really lose anything for the
privilege (maybe they drop to d6 hit dice -- heh, just like the RSP).

- Ron ^*^

Justisaur wrote:

> Sheldon England wrote:
>
>>Justisaur wrote:
>>
>>>You could just go with Hong's rule of thumb, and ban everything.
>>>
>>>Actually I like your idea, I just banned the entire Book of Exaulted
>>>Deeds because of the horror stories I'd heard. I've allowed the
>>>complete books, but I'm a bit worried about it. I'd thought of banning
>>>everything, and just using the core books.
>>
>>Our GM allows anything from the four key books by default. He also uses
>>a certificate system in which, at the end of each session, he hands out
>>a yellow "good roleplaying" cert. as applicable (usually just one per
>>session per group), the purple "whoops, you were right, I was wrong"
>>cert. (which is rare because the bastard knows the rules inside and out
>><g>) and every player gets one blue "+1 to any roll" cert. (which can be
>>stacked).
>>
>>There are others but the relevant one to this post is the yellow one. It
>>allows a player to choose any feat, PrC, or spell from any non-core book
>>"with the GM's approval." No yellow cert, no funky PrC.
>>
>>It keeps us players with our feet mainly on the ground but also allows
>>great roleplayers the opportunity to improve/train beyond the core rules
>>and do something different. BTW, the GM doesn't decide who gets the
>>yellow cert. -- the players do.
>>

> This wouldn't work in my game. Unfortunately the serial rules rapist
> I've got is also an excelent RPer. He just loves the spotlight, and I
> have to keep a close eye on him so the other players don't feel he's
> hogging it too much. He's playing a relatively tame (in comparison to
> his usual characters) spiked chain trip based fighter this game, and
> even with that some of the other players have been complaining his
> character is overpowered.

LOL in the game I play in it would become a metagame fest with people
making deals -- "I really need the yellow slip this level, if you vote
for me I'll vote for you next level when YOU need it..."

:^)

- Ron ^*^

Justisaur wrote:

> You could just go with Hong's rule of thumb, and ban everything.
>
> Actually I like your idea, I just banned the entire Book of Exaulted
> Deeds because of the horror stories I'd heard. I've allowed the
> complete books, but I'm a bit worried about it. I'd thought of banning
> everything, and just using the core books.

Our GM allows anything from the four key books by default. He also uses
a certificate system in which, at the end of each session, he hands out
a yellow "good roleplaying" cert. as applicable (usually just one per
session per group), the purple "whoops, you were right, I was wrong"
cert. (which is rare because the bastard knows the rules inside and out
<g>) and every player gets one blue "+1 to any roll" cert. (which can be
stacked).

There are others but the relevant one to this post is the yellow one. It
allows a player to choose any feat, PrC, or spell from any non-core book
"with the GM's approval." No yellow cert, no funky PrC.

It keeps us players with our feet mainly on the ground but also allows
great roleplayers the opportunity to improve/train beyond the core rules
and do something different. BTW, the GM doesn't decide who gets the
yellow cert. -- the players do.

FWIW.

- Sheldon

Sheldon England wrote:

> There are others but the relevant one to this post is the yellow one. It
> allows a player to choose any feat, PrC, or spell from any non-core book
> "with the GM's approval." No yellow cert, no funky PrC.

Er ... specifically, one yellow cert. for a spell, two for a feat, three
for a PrC. It's not easy.

- Sheldon

Werebat wrote:
> Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?

Yep, clearly overpowered, even when there are no undead to consider.

Think of it this way. The only advantage a cleric has over a RSoP is an
average of +1 HP per level. If you allow Improved Toughness from CW
(not a feat I'm terribly fond of, but it passes the "would anyone take
it" and "would everyone take it" tests), then clearly, the cleric's
advantage is not worth even a single feat.

Meanwhile, the RsoP's extra domain _alone_ is easily worth more than a
feat. The will save aura is also worth more than a feat. And the
improved healing, better light spells, etc is just gravy.

> On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?

Tough to evaluate. As you said, it's pretty subtle. Overall, yes, I
think it's slightly overpowered. But I'd still allow it, because it's
not _clearly_ broken, and because it's stylish enough for me to go
along with it.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>
> > Werebat wrote:
> >
> >>Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?
> >
> > Yep, clearly overpowered, even when there are no undead to consider.
> >
> > Think of it this way. The only advantage a cleric has over a RSoP is an
> > average of +1 HP per level. If you allow Improved Toughness from CW
> > (not a feat I'm terribly fond of, but it passes the "would anyone take
> > it" and "would everyone take it" tests), then clearly, the cleric's
> > advantage is not worth even a single feat.
>
> Well, it is worth exactly a single feat.

Nope. Improved Toughness gives +20 HP over 20 levels; RsoP loses only
10 HP over 20 levels.

> > Meanwhile, the RsoP's extra domain _alone_ is easily worth more than a
> > feat. The will save aura is also worth more than a feat. And the
> > improved healing, better light spells, etc is just gravy.
>
> I hadn't thought of the extra domain or will save aura. Yes, those are
> very handy. Especially since one of the arguments people use about the
> RSP being "balanced" is that to use all of its abilities you are
> restricted to taking the Sun and Healing domains. Obviously, if you get
> an extra domain, that restriction isn't much of a restriction (not that
> I feel those kinds of "restrictions" ever work as counterbalances
> anyway... "Yes, I get +20 to hit with every attack, but in order to get
> that ability I *have* to be a deep gnome Bard with Combat Reflexes,
> Quick Draw, and one level of Ranger!").

I agree, to a degree. Restrictions can be useful for balancing if
they're normally suboptimal choices.

For example, Mystic Theurge levels are clearly superior to, say,
sorcerer levels; the reason the PrC is weak is because of its
restriction, which involves a suboptimal class combo.

In fact, one of the most important skills for a true munchkin (that is,
character optimizer) is finding loopholes that allow you to take
powerful PrC levels while finding a way around their restrictions (True
Necromancer, I'd like you to meet my good friend Precocious
Apprentice).

> >>On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?
> >
> > Tough to evaluate. As you said, it's pretty subtle. Overall, yes, I
> > think it's slightly overpowered. But I'd still allow it, because it's
> > not _clearly_ broken, and because it's stylish enough for me to go
> > along with it.
>
> I'm allowing it for now, but it bugs me because it is clearly more
> powerful than the normal cleric levels.

Well, not _clearly_. Besides the slight HP hit (2 points for the level
1 substitution level, and 1 each for the other two), he has to give up
somewhat relevant abilities. There aren't many "Earth" spells, but
there are some very useful ones (Meld Into Stone is great). Gutting
Planar Ally also hurts; there's much better stuff you can summon with
it than mere air elementals.

I agree that they're more powerful, and I'd take them in a heartbeat as
a player, but I don't see them as being any worse than, say, the
Loremaster PrC.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:
> The trouble with cleric PrCs, I think, is that the cleric doesn't have a
> heck of a lot in the way of special abilities that you can take from him
> in order to "pay" for the special abilities of the PrC. Wizards have
> their bonus feats and familiar advancement, for example. Clerics have
> turn undead advancement, and... Umm... Well, that's about it.

Right. Sorcerers are even worse: their familiars are the only thing
they can _possibly_ give up (you can't get any lower than d4 HP, 2
skill points, bad BAB, and a single good save), which is why Sorcerers
will generally run, not walk, to the nearest PrC as soon as possible.

> RSP grants turn undead advancement, the the RSP doesn't even lose that.
>
> About the only other thing you can take from the cleric class is
> spellcaster levels.

Well, they could fall to poor BAB. This is what the Cloistered Cleric
variant uses to balance its bonuses. Might be worth considering for the
RsoP, perhaps.

> So, how about it? How many spellcaster levels would the RSP need to
> lose in order to be "balanced"?

One is plenty.

> When would he have to lose them?

Level 1. But certainly no later than level 3.

> Would players still choose to play an RSP?

Maybe. Probably not. Losing a caster level hurts, bad. And when we get
right down to it, none of the RsoP's bennies have the "wow" factor
needed to overcome the loss of a caster level.

I'm thinking that dropping their BAB to poor might be enough. None of
the RsoP's abilities are combat-focused, and this change would template
the RsoP as a true believer who walks in a transcendent state of faith
and bliss, receiving more powerful boons from Pelor while losing out on
earthly things like combat effectiveness.

> Say he lost a spellcasting level at 1st level in the class. Would it be
> balanced then? Would anyone take it?

I'd say it would be balanced on paper, but nobody would take it, for
psychological reasons. When taking a PrC, most players tend to focus on
what they lose out on. Losing a caster level right up front is real
bad, and they won't have anything hugely flashy to look forward to in
latter levels.

Losing BAB might be better, because it's a much more "gradual" loss,
making it somewhat more acceptable.

YMMV, of course.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Werebat wrote:
>
> > Maybe. Probably not. Losing a caster level hurts, bad. And when we get
> > right down to it, none of the RsoP's bennies have the "wow" factor
> > needed to overcome the loss of a caster level.
> >
> > I'm thinking that dropping their BAB to poor might be enough. None of
> > the RsoP's abilities are combat-focused
>
> Bzzt. They get martial weapon proficiency, for some unknown reason. So
> they can use longbows and greatswords.

Huh. Weird. Like the PrC wasn't powerful enough.

> I think they gave them martial weapon proficiency so players who want to
> get the PrC past their DMs can "volunteer" to "give up" martial weapon
> proficiency to "tone the PrC down", which is something they weren't
> going to use anyway. :^)

Wha? MWP for cleric is _awesome_. For certain builds, at least. "Combat
clerics" are very viable, and not having to spend a feat on MWP for a
weapon is a great boon.

> > Losing BAB might be better, because it's a much more "gradual" loss,
> > making it somewhat more acceptable.
>
> Thematically I agree with you, especially if you also drop martial
> weapon proficiency.

Yeah, drop it. The PrC has plenty to offer without it.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
>
> >>Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?
> >
> > Which book is this from?
>
> Complete Arcane, which is one reason why it is problematic -- it is
> close to "core".

Just a quick correction: it's Complete Divine, not Complete Arcane.

Laszlo

Werebat wrote:

> >>Thematically I agree with you, especially if you also drop martial
> >>weapon proficiency.
> >
> > Yeah, drop it. The PrC has plenty to offer without it.
>
> So, resolved: drop martial weapon proficiency, lower BAB to wizard
> levels. Do you think those changes basically balance the PrC? Because
> I think one other thing I could do is drop the Fort saves to Poor
> instead of Good, since what we're doing is making it less of a martial
> class.

I don't think that's necessary. One of the main strengths of a cleric
is their ability to rival a primary melee build when necessary, and
otherwise act as a primary caster.

With low BAB and d6 HP, the RSoP's melee role is effectively neutered.
Clerics as pure casters are weak. The RSoP's extra abilities make up
for this, making the PrC a great addition to any party in the
buffer/healer/undead killer roles. I don't foresee any balance
problems.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>Just out of curiosity -- what's your take on the Radiant Servant of Pelor?
>

> Yep, clearly overpowered, even when there are no undead to consider.
>
> Think of it this way. The only advantage a cleric has over a RSoP is an
> average of +1 HP per level. If you allow Improved Toughness from CW
> (not a feat I'm terribly fond of, but it passes the "would anyone take
> it" and "would everyone take it" tests), then clearly, the cleric's
> advantage is not worth even a single feat.

Well, it is worth exactly a single feat.

> Meanwhile, the RsoP's extra domain _alone_ is easily worth more than a
> feat. The will save aura is also worth more than a feat. And the
> improved healing, better light spells, etc is just gravy.

I hadn't thought of the extra domain or will save aura. Yes, those are
very handy. Especially since one of the arguments people use about the
RSP being "balanced" is that to use all of its abilities you are
restricted to taking the Sun and Healing domains. Obviously, if you get
an extra domain, that restriction isn't much of a restriction (not that
I feel those kinds of "restrictions" ever work as counterbalances
anyway... "Yes, I get +20 to hit with every attack, but in order to get
that ability I *have* to be a deep gnome Bard with Combat Reflexes,
Quick Draw, and one level of Ranger!").

>>On Raptorian clerics with racial substitution levels?
>

> Tough to evaluate. As you said, it's pretty subtle. Overall, yes, I
> think it's slightly overpowered. But I'd still allow it, because it's
> not _clearly_ broken, and because it's stylish enough for me to go
> along with it.

I'm allowing it for now, but it bugs me because it is clearly more
powerful than the normal cleric levels.

The RSP bugs me even more now. I'm going to have to go over that one
with a fine toothed comb.

- Ron ^*^

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

>>>Yep, clearly overpowered, even when there are no undead to consider.
>>>
>>>Think of it this way. The only advantage a cleric has over a RSoP is an
>>>average of +1 HP per level. If you allow Improved Toughness from CW
>>>(not a feat I'm terribly fond of, but it passes the "would anyone take
>>>it" and "would everyone take it" tests), then clearly, the cleric's
>>>advantage is not worth even a single feat.
>>
>>Well, it is worth exactly a single feat.
>

> Nope. Improved Toughness gives +20 HP over 20 levels; RsoP loses only
> 10 HP over 20 levels.

The trouble with cleric PrCs, I think, is that the cleric doesn't have a
heck of a lot in the way of special abilities that you can take from him
in order to "pay" for the special abilities of the PrC. Wizards have
their bonus feats and familiar advancement, for example. Clerics have
turn undead advancement, and... Umm... Well, that's about it.

RSP grants turn undead advancement, the the RSP doesn't even lose that.

About the only other thing you can take from the cleric class is
spellcaster levels.

So, how about it? How many spellcaster levels would the RSP need to
lose in order to be "balanced"? Whe would he have to lose them? Would
players still choose to play an RSP?

Say he lost a spellcasting level at 1st level in the class. Would it be
balanced then? Would anyone take it?

- Ron ^*^

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Werebat wrote:

>>So, how about it? How many spellcaster levels would the RSP need to
>>lose in order to be "balanced"?
>

> One is plenty.
>

>>When would he have to lose them?
>

> Level 1. But certainly no later than level 3.
>

>>Would players still choose to play an RSP?
>

> Maybe. Probably not. Losing a caster level hurts, bad. And when we get
> right down to it, none of the RsoP's bennies have the "wow" factor
> needed to overcome the loss of a caster level.
>
> I'm thinking that dropping their BAB to poor might be enough. None of
> the RsoP's abilities are combat-focused

Bzzt. They get martial weapon proficiency, for some unknown reason. So
they can use longbows and greatswords.

I think they gave them martial weapon proficiency so players who want to
get the PrC past their DMs can "volunteer" to "give up" martial weapon
proficiency to "tone the PrC down", which is something they weren't
going to use anyway. :^)

> and this change would template
> the RsoP as a true believer who walks in a transcendent state of faith
> and bliss, receiving more powerful boons from Pelor while losing out on
> earthly things like combat effectiveness.

This makes some degree of sense, and is in keeping with the lower hit
points -- but not the martial weapon proficiency.

>>Say he lost a spellcasting level at 1st level in the class. Would it be
>>balanced then? Would anyone take it?
>

> I'd say it would be balanced on paper, but nobody would take it, for
> psychological reasons. When taking a PrC, most players tend to focus on
> what they lose out on. Losing a caster level right up front is real
> bad, and they won't have anything hugely flashy to look forward to in
> latter levels.

I think 3rd level would be the time to lose a spellcaster level, right
when they gain +2 to Will saves and offer the same to anyone standing
near them.

> Losing BAB might be better, because it's a much more "gradual" loss,
> making it somewhat more acceptable.

Thematically I agree with you, especially if you also drop martial
weapon proficiency.

- Ron ^*^

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Werebat wrote:

>>I think they gave them martial weapon proficiency so players who want to
>>get the PrC past their DMs can "volunteer" to "give up" martial weapon
>>proficiency to "tone the PrC down", which is something they weren't
>>going to use anyway. :^)
>

> Wha? MWP for cleric is _awesome_. For certain builds, at least. "Combat
> clerics" are very viable, and not having to spend a feat on MWP for a
> weapon is a great boon.

I was going to point out the d6 hit points, but I just realized a
powergamer could cherry pick the class for this ability and then switch
back to cleric levels. Damn.

You're right, that *IS* a powerful ability in the right build.

>>>Losing BAB might be better, because it's a much more "gradual" loss,
>>>making it somewhat more acceptable.
>>
>>Thematically I agree with you, especially if you also drop martial
>>weapon proficiency.
>

> Yeah, drop it. The PrC has plenty to offer without it.

So, resolved: drop martial weapon proficiency, lower BAB to wizard
levels. Do you think those changes basically balance the PrC? Because
I think one other thing I could do is drop the Fort saves to Poor
instead of Good, since what we're doing is making it less of a martial
class.

- Ron ^*^

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Werebat wrote:

>>>Which book is this from?
>>
>>Complete Arcane, which is one reason why it is problematic -- it is
>>close to "core".
>

> Just a quick correction: it's Complete Divine, not Complete Arcane.

Eh, sorry -- silly mistake on my part.

- Ron ^*^

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Werebat wrote:

>>>Yeah, drop it. The PrC has plenty to offer without it.
>>
>>So, resolved: drop martial weapon proficiency, lower BAB to wizard
>>levels. Do you think those changes basically balance the PrC? Because
>>I think one other thing I could do is drop the Fort saves to Poor
>>instead of Good, since what we're doing is making it less of a martial
>>class.
>

> I don't think that's necessary. One of the main strengths of a cleric
> is their ability to rival a primary melee build when necessary, and
> otherwise act as a primary caster.
>
> With low BAB and d6 HP, the RSoP's melee role is effectively neutered.
> Clerics as pure casters are weak. The RSoP's extra abilities make up
> for this, making the PrC a great addition to any party in the
> buffer/healer/undead killer roles. I don't foresee any balance
> problems.

Cool. Works for me, both as a DM and a player who might want to pick up
the PrC someday.

- Ron ^*^