Upgraded from ME to 2k.. lost old Desktop folders

gpappy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Was forced to upgrade from ME to Win 2k (got an incompatiblitity with new hardware (non Dell), and dell installed OS). Upgraded to Win2k. I had 2 folders on my Win ME desktop that I need to get back and didnt show up with the upgrade.

Any idea where to look for them?

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Go to the start menu click on search or find then when prompted type the name of the folders you lost making sure you have selected the whole of C:\ to search in. If your folders are still in existance they will be found you then just drag and drop them to your new desktop.

gpappy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
welli think i am in the dog house. Wife deleted the old windows folder, and I dont think i can recover it. tried norton etc but i think i am sol any other ides how to recover from the deleted files in trashcan?

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
There're programs that can recover deleted files and folders as when they're deleted the actual file data still remains on the harddisk but the header of the file is removed making it invisible. The trouble is if you install new files on your harddisk they will overwrite and destroy the invisible (deleted ones) if written to the area of your harddisk where they reside. If your wife deleted the old windows directory before installing win2k then they're probably lost if she did it after win2k was installed you have a good chance of retrieving them! You must of cause have a program that can do this I'm assuming that the Nortons program you referred to is a utilities version not just the antivirus which is usless for this task. I'd say there're plenty of shareware utilities for retrieving lost files if you care to brows the net make sure they work with win2k though!

TRENDING THREADS