Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

My I/O Plate on my case doesn't match mobo layout!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cases
  • Audio
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2002 6:35:14 PM

I'm looking at the Iwill P4533-N and the intel 850E-MV, and the audio outputs, the onboard LAN, and even some of the USB ports don't match up!

I'm using a chieftec tower ATX case, and the mobos are also ATX form factor. The I/O plate on my case has the USB/NIC slots directly right of the PS2 connectors, but the motherboards have them directly to the right of the LPT printer ports, etc.

Also, the audio out on my case's plate is paralell with the motherboard laying play, but the mother board has the audio outputs at a 90 degree angle with the motherboard.

I've heard that some mobos include plates, but I'm not how to attach them, considering the plate on my case seems permanently stuck in.....

Thanks.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

More about : plate case match mobo layout

May 24, 2002 6:42:22 PM

you really should go to mobo forum but heck........
just sew it off, but then it would attract dusts
just buy a new case

I know what you did last summer when you install amd, and now its time for punishment!! -Intel
May 24, 2002 6:42:24 PM

Was this just a rant, or did you have some sort of a question that you needed answered?

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
Related resources
May 24, 2002 7:11:09 PM

all mobo's come with the plate specific for that board most just pop out with a little pressure

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
May 24, 2002 8:28:42 PM

Magus,

Just like lagger said...

Contact <A HREF="http://www.chieftec.com" target="_new">Chieftec</A> for a replacement plate. Antec lets you relpace their's and they will send you a new one upon request. I am sure Chieftec is the same.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol: 
May 24, 2002 9:19:34 PM

It's technically the motherboard manufacturer's responsibility to provide a compatible I/O plate; it's also the chassis manufacturer's responsibility to leave a rectangular cutout where such a plate can be installed and removed. Often enough, though, an ATX motherboard's I/O ports fit a very common generic layout (especially if the motherboard doesn't have onboard extras like networking, audio, FireWire etc.) and can thus get away with not including an I/O plate. Occasionally, you get a crap or B-stock motherboard that's missing that plate and won't fit a generic one.

I know that some case manufacturers include plates that screw into the case or use some other semi-proprietary attachment method, but the only non-removable plates I've seen are in OEM boxen.

Chieftech may be willing to provide you a semi-generic I/O plate that <i>might</i> fit, or Iwill/Intel might be willing to provide you an I/O plate that <i>will</i> fit. Or you can leave the plate out. The case probably wouldn't pass FCC/CE/UL testing without the plate, but if you have a positive-pressure air circulation system (i.e. more fans sucking air in than blowing air out), incoming debris shouldn't be too much of a problem.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 05/24/02 04:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2002 6:57:31 AM

Most of Chieftec's cases uses standard snap in rectagular plates. They install from inside the case, you need to push them in from the outside to pop them out. Iwill should be supplying a new standards rectangular plate to fill the hole.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?