Which one is Best Server CPU?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
First of all, what type of server would this be?

Many servers (especially static web servers, file servers, firewall boxen, FTP servers, mail servers, etc.) don't even require a GHz CPU. I currently have a pair of ancient PentiumPRO's powering an FTP/mail/Kerberos/DNS/SMB/NIS/NFS server, and they hardly get much load at all. Database servers and heavy-duty dynamic web servers might require more power, though.

PIII 1.26:

Cooler, lower power consumption
~US$20 cheaper for 256K cache version (512K cache version more expensive)
Good, solid Intel chipset available
Greater selection of motherboards

MP 1800+:

Hotter, more power-hungry--fitting it in a slim 1u/2u is not easy
Good, solid AMD760MP/MPX chipset available
~US$40 cheaper than the 512K P3 (more expensive than 256K P3)
Quite a bit faster, especially for database applications

Both are perfectly reliable. Both can run 24x7 with no hiccups.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Both are perfectly reliable. Both can run 24x7 with no hiccups.""...
... for a while, then P3 stays the same way, and Athlon will start to make you wonder "Did I make the right choice?", gg.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
If we were considering single processor systems, that <i>might</i> be true--simply because there's no uniprocessor Athlon motherboard that's all AMD760.

As it is, I'm assuming that we're discussing dual-processor motherboards, simply because we're considering the AthlonMP, not the XP. The situation becomes different for dual processors, since there are <i>no</i> dual-processor Athlon motherboards using anything but an AMD chipset. The 760MP is extremely solid; the 760MPX hasn't been around as long but is proving itself well.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""The 760MP is extremely solid; the 760MPX hasn't been around as long but is proving itself well.""

I have nothnig against it, it all cool, I was just guessing, which I have right to, or am I, gg.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...