T-Bred or Hammer?

SkyOniX

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Hey,Im just wondering if it would be a good ideah for me to go ahead and upgrade my 1GHz Duron to a T-bred when it comes out,or wait until the Hammer comes out?Would a Hammer actually help gaming performance alot,or is that more in the hands of the Graphics Card?

Duron 1GHz (Had XP1800 but I burnt it up)
Epox 8K3A Motherboard KT333
256MB of OCZ PC2700
Radeon 8500 (retail) (upgrading to R300 when Doom3 is out)

What was used to program a programming program?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hey,Im just wondering if it would be a good ideah for me to go ahead and upgrade my 1GHz Duron to a T-bred when it comes out,or wait until the Hammer comes out?
Depends. Do you want/need 64-bit computing? Do you do anything like compile jobs, raytraced rendering, or graphic artwork? If so, I'd say wait for Hammer. T-bred is likely going to be a value/transitional product anyways, rather than a processor to beat all processors.

Would a Hammer actually help gaming performance alot,or is that more in the hands of the Graphics Card?
That's more in the hands of the graphics card.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well it really depends. If you can hold off for another 2Q, then Hammer it is. If not you should go for the T-bred and get a 0.09u Hammer like 2H03. Also it looks like your mobo at least is pretty new, so it'd kinda be a waste to upgrade to a Hammer since you'd need a new mobo. As for the gaming performance, it's hard to say. Right now there's a lot of games that are CPU limited (like Commance4 and JKII). At higher resolutions, the video cards actually start to pull away from each other.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
hmmm... right now I'm thinking that maybe you should upgrade to a Tbred (like a 1800+ or 1900+) when it comes out. That way you wont spend too much dough on something that will cost $10 less the very next week. Also, when the hammer comes out, it sounds like it will be pretty expensive. So if i were you I would stick with what you have right now, get the low ended Tbred and when they come out with ones with like a 3000 pr rating, i'd get that and then , maybe invest in a hammer system. Just my strategy though...

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

Corona999

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I say don't bother with Tbred and wait for Barton. I think Hammer will be good when it reaches .09 micron or after a few months after its release.