Denizens of Black Mesa pt. 2: Mawman

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2005 2:01:30 PM

Mawman or Headcrab Zombie

Headcrab zombies are created when when a headcrab successfully couples
with an intelligent humanoid and completes the zombification process,
which takes about 30 minutes. A headcrab zombie is actually two
distinct organisms, the parasitic headcrab, and the converted host body.
Although the host cannot survive without the headcrab, killing the
body sometimes leaves an ambulatory headcrab.

Headcrab zombies are notorious for their relentlessness and
fearlessness. They are also remarkable for the unsettling noises they
make. While they'll usually make headcrab type noises, sometimes the
host body will babble or even speak intelligible words. Even worse, if
the zombie is set on fire, or significant damage is dealt to it, the
host body will often scream in pain, or plead for help, or even pray.
More than one headcrab hunter has been stopped in his tracks by the
sound of a human voice being muffled by the headcrab parasite.

A headcrab zombie has the same general outline of the host creature. At
the top sits the headcrab, which is directly attached to the host's head
and upper torso. The arms lengthen, and the fingers turn into wicked
claws. The torso splits open and becomes a large vertical mouth,
revealing several disgusting, converted organs. The tips of the ribs
are exposed, and they serve to act as teeth for the vertical maw which
give this abomination its name. Underneath the actual headcrab is the
victim's head. The bones partially liquefy, and the brain mostly turns
to mush. Despite this, the victim's face is still horribly recognizable
by those that knew them.

A headcrab zombie's sole purpose is to obtain sustinence so that they
may produce new headcrab spawn. They typically kill anything they come
across and feed bits of it into their torso-maw.

A mawman is barely intelligent. It possesses just enough intelligence
to throw heavy objects at potential prey that are out of reach or to
sometimes lie in ambush by hiding under trash, beneath the surface of
dirty pools of water or toxic waste, or by simply playing dead.

Becoming a Mawman

"Mawman" is an acquired template that can be added to any intelligent,
living, humanoid creature that has a brain located in a head at or near
the top of its body and is size small, medium, or large.

Size and Type: The creature's type changes to Abberation. It retains
any subtypes except alignment subtypes (such as good) and sub tipes that
indicate kind (such as weedy little scientist git). It does not gain
the augmented subtype. It uses all of the base creatures statistics and
special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Drop any hit dice from class levels (minimum 1), double the
number of Hit Dice left, add them to the headcrab's base hit dice (in
the case of a typical headcrab, that number is 3) and change them to d8s.

Speed: Headcrab zombies are slow and uncoordinated. Their speed is 20,
unless the base creature is slower.

Armor Class: The process of zombification causes drastic changes to the
host body's physiology. Unnecessary organs are sloughed off, and the
ones that are kept are significantly altered. As a result, the headcrab
zombie gains 4 points of natural armor. This stacks with any existing
natural armor.

Base attack: A headcrab zombie has a base attack bonus of 3/4s of its
hit dice.

Attacks: The host body's arms lengthen, and the fingers grow and
harden, becoming lethal claws. Headcrab zombies, unless heavily
damaged, have two claw and a single rend attack.

Damage: The headcrab zombie's attacks do the following damage: Each
claw 1d6.

Special attacks: Mawmen have none of the special attacks of the host
creature, but gain a rend attack that they may use if they hit with both
claw attacks in a round.

Special Qualities: Mawmen lose all special qualities of the base
creature, due to the massive changes to the original body. They gain
the flammable quality, the decouple quality, and the lumbering quality.
Flammable: As a part of the zombification process, the host body's
blood is replaced with the same pale liquid the attached headcrab uses.
As a result, the zombie gains the same highly combustible nature as
the headcrab.
A headcrab's pale green blood is exceptionally combustible.
Furthermore, headcrabs did not evolve in an environment where fires
existed, and as such are incapable of knowing that they shouldn't move
through it. As such, if a fire is between a headcrab or zombie and its
intended target, it will move through it and continue to attack.
Should a headcrab zombie come into contact with any sort of flame
source, it will immediately catch fire. This fire will persist until
either the zombie is submerged in water (which it doesn't know to do) or
it dies.
Decouple(Ex): When a mawman is killed, the headcrab that is attached
to it will survive the attack with a DC 17 Fort save. Any critical hit
scored against the mawman before it is killed prevents this, as it is
assumed that the critical hit scores a blow against the headcrab.
Lumbering(Ex): Headcrab zombies are slow and purposeful. They do not
take run or charge actions. However, due to their measured pace, they
can pursue a target tirelessly, and therefore do not suffer the effects
of fatigue.

Saves: Base save bonuses are Fort +1/3 HD, Ref +1/3 HD, and Will +1/2
HD +2.

Abilities: Increase a headcrab zombie's Strength by +2, its
constitution by +4, its Dexterity drops by 2, its Intelligence drops to
3, its Wisdom becomes 12, and its charisma becomes 7.

Skills: Although the zombie creature does not jump, it gains enough
intelligence to lay in ambush and hide itself. Headcrab zombies gain a
+8 racial bonus to their hide checks.

Feats: Headcrab zombies lose any feats of both the headcrab or the host
body, and gain the toughness feat, the weapon focus (natural attack)
feat, and the power attack feat.

Environment: Any land and underground.

Challenge Rating: Based on hit dice. 5 hit dice CR 2, 7 HD CR 3, 9 HD
CR 4, 11 HD CR 5, 13 HD CR 6.
Treasure: None

Advancement: Particularly well-fed mawman gain additional mass in order
to start producing new headcrab spawn. Double the number of hit dice of
the base zombie and increase its size by one category. Adjust the stats
accordingly.

Level Adjustment: -

Sample Headcrab Zombies:

Scientist Mawman
Medium Abberation
Hit Dice: 5d8+8(30 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20ft (4 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+4 natural, -1 dex), Touch 9, Flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: 1 Claw +4 melee(1d6) or Thrown Object +2 ranged(range increment
10 ft.)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +4 melee(1d6/each)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rend (2d6)
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Spot +6, Hide +12
Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (natural Attack), Power Attack
Environment: Any land and underground
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Advancement: 10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Soldier Mawman
Medium Abberation
Hit Dice: 5d8+23 (43 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 14, touch 10, Flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: 1 Claw +7 melee(1d6+3) or Thrown Object +3 ranged(range
increment 10 ft.)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +7 Melee(1d6+3/each)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+4)
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 12, Chr 7
Skills: Spot +6, Hide +13
Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (natural attack), Power Attack
Environment: Any Land and Underground
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Advancement: 10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

The Soldier Mawman was a human soldier who was coupled with a headcrab.
This zombie has the elite stat array and as such is at +1 CR for his
hit dice.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:04:44 PM

Aw poo, I forgot the saves for the two examples.

Raphael Russell wrote:
> Sample Headcrab Zombies:
>
> Scientist Mawman
> Medium Abberation
> Hit Dice: 5d8+8(30 hp)
> Initiative: -1
> Speed: 20ft (4 squares)
> Armor Class: 13 (+4 natural, -1 dex), Touch 9, Flat-footed 14
> Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
> Attack: 1 Claw +4 melee(1d6) or Thrown Object +2 ranged(range increment
> 10 ft.)
> Full Attack: 2 Claws +4 melee(1d6/each)
> Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
> Special Attacks: Rend (2d6)
> Abilities: Str 10, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 7
> Skills: Spot +6, Hide +12
> Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (natural Attack), Power Attack
> Environment: Any land and underground
> Challenge Rating: 2
> Treasure: None
> Advancement: 10 HD (Large)
> Level Adjustment: -

Saves for the Scientist Zombie: Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +5

> Soldier Mawman
> Medium Abberation
> Hit Dice: 5d8+23 (43 hp)
> Initiative: +0
> Speed: 20ft. (4 squares)
> Armor Class: 14, touch 10, Flat-footed 14
> Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
> Attack: 1 Claw +7 melee(1d6+3) or Thrown Object +3 ranged(range
> increment 10 ft.)
> Full Attack: 2 Claws +7 Melee(1d6+3/each)
> Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
> Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+4)
> Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 12, Chr 7
> Skills: Spot +6, Hide +13
> Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (natural attack), Power Attack
> Environment: Any Land and Underground
> Challenge Rating: 3
> Treasure: None
> Advancement: 10 HD (Large)
> Level Adjustment: -
>
> The Soldier Mawman was a human soldier who was coupled with a headcrab.
> This zombie has the elite stat array and as such is at +1 CR for his
> hit dice.

Saves for the Soldier Zombie: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +5
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:16:55 PM

Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net> wrote in

> Headcrab zombies are created when when a headcrab successfully
> couples with an intelligent humanoid and completes the
> zombification process, which takes about 30 minutes

What happens with multi-headed individuals like ettins?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:16:56 PM

Quentin Stephens wrote:
> Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net> wrote in
>

>>Headcrab zombies are created when when a headcrab successfully
>>couples with an intelligent humanoid and completes the
>>zombification process, which takes about 30 minutes
>

> What happens with multi-headed individuals like ettins?

Ettins are Huge Giants, not Large Humanoids. Creatures must
specifically be of the Humanoid type. Even Mostrous Humanoids are
ineligible.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:00:57 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:17:30 -0500, Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Quentin Stephens wrote:
> > Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net> wrote in
> >

> >>Headcrab zombies are created when when a headcrab successfully
> >>couples with an intelligent humanoid and completes the
> >>zombification process, which takes about 30 minutes
> >

> > What happens with multi-headed individuals like ettins?
>

> Ettins are Huge Giants, not Large Humanoids. Creatures must
> specifically be of the Humanoid type. Even Mostrous Humanoids are
> ineligible.

That's gonna make an ogre a really unpleasant surprise for a bunch of
head-humpers. They look like a big humanoid, but aren't.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:17:30 -0500, Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net>
> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>

>>Quentin Stephens wrote:
>>
>>>Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net> wrote in

>>>What happens with multi-headed individuals like ettins?
>>

>>Ettins are Huge Giants, not Large Humanoids. Creatures must
>>specifically be of the Humanoid type. Even Mostrous Humanoids are
>>ineligible.
>

> That's gonna make an ogre a really unpleasant surprise for a bunch of
> head-humpers. They look like a big humanoid, but aren't.

That's not really a problem since the little buggers seem to
instinctively know what they can and can not couple with.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:16:22 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:00:57 +1200, Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:17:30 -0500, Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net>
>carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> Quentin Stephens wrote:
>> > Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net> wrote in

>> > What happens with multi-headed individuals like ettins?
>>

>> Ettins are Huge Giants, not Large Humanoids. Creatures must
>> specifically be of the Humanoid type. Even Mostrous Humanoids are
>> ineligible.
>
>That's gonna make an ogre a really unpleasant surprise for a bunch of
>head-humpers. They look like a big humanoid, but aren't.

Would they even fit on the head?
--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 4:10:59 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:16:22 GMT, Steven Howell
<showell@donteventhinkaboutit.com> scribed into the ether:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:00:57 +1200, Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:17:30 -0500, Raphael Russell <aod1@cox.net>
>>carved upon a tablet of ether:

>>> Ettins are Huge Giants, not Large Humanoids. Creatures must
>>> specifically be of the Humanoid type. Even Mostrous Humanoids are
>>> ineligible.
>>
>>That's gonna make an ogre a really unpleasant surprise for a bunch of
>>head-humpers. They look like a big humanoid, but aren't.
>
>Would they even fit on the head?

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1...

Few more months, and there won't be anything you can't make a link to that
comic for.
!