Password in SP 2

I have a Dimension 4500 which I recently "upgraded" to SP2. There are
2 users, myself and my wife. Every so often, when we click on our
names to get started, Windows will ask us for a password. Nice touch,
but we didn't set it up for passwords. At first, I thought it might
have something to do with SP 2's firewall, so I turned it off. No
dice. This happens only occasionally, and only after the computer has
been on for a while with a few "switch users". Anybody else have this
issue? If so, is there a solution?

Thanks

Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced. Remove check from "Prompt for
password...."

"cagey" <cagey91@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 4500 which I recently "upgraded" to SP2. There are
> 2 users, myself and my wife. Every so often, when we click on our
> names to get started, Windows will ask us for a password. Nice touch,
> but we didn't set it up for passwords. At first, I thought it might
> have something to do with SP 2's firewall, so I turned it off. No
> dice. This happens only occasionally, and only after the computer has
> been on for a while with a few "switch users". Anybody else have this
> issue? If so, is there a solution?
>
> Thanks

Does SP 2 require you to enter a password? If you set the system up originally
without user passwords, it shouldn't. So just click the white arrow on a green
background to the right of the password box. This is apparently a security
feature of SP2 which is perfectly fine if one is worried about others accessing
ones computer when one is not around. But if security of a shared computer was
a real concern, people would password their user names to begin with. Duh!

Physical security of home and small offices is not that much of a concern to the
owners of the computers, nor should it be. If you lock the house when you go
out, a breaking-and-entering thief will usually have more important things to do
than log onto your computer. Like steal the computer and the family jewels. If
you need to protect your computer from access by other users of the self same
computer, you need another compute for each of the other persons to enforce the
lack of trust. It is child's play, even on as secure (HA!) of a system as
Windows XP SP2 to break into other users' files and steal the information.

Oh, well! We all have to live with this ill-conceived and ill-designed Windows
software... Ben Myers