What is this on the heatsink?

NVulture

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I'm thinking the heatsink came with a thermal pad, and that peeling stuff is the remains of the shipping film. The shipping film should have been removed before the HSF was installed, but apparently it wasn't.

Btw, it would probably work a bit better to just bump the original thread. :wink:

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

NVulture

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I thought about doing that but it was turning into a rather nasty flame war and since it was already a page back I didnt want to be the one who brought it back up to the top.. hehehe

Thanks for the quick reply though! I have another quick question.

I have a P4 1.6A retail box and I didnt see any thermal compound in there.. Is it safe for the HS to go on there without any type of thermal compound?

Damn slot1 cpus, they make you dumb.. lol

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
there should be some kind of cream colour pad or tape at the bottom of the hsf.if there isn't any, then you should apply some yourself, use the thermal compound intruction at arcticsilver.com and get yourself some arctice silver 2, 3. but under any situation,DO NOT put the heatsink on without any heat transfer interface in between the core and the hsf.

NVulture

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Hmmm Shouldnt a boxed P4 1.6A come with everything that's needed for it???

Or is this how Intel usually ships their P4 processors?

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Theres a pad on the botton of the heatsink. No need to worry if you just popped it on the processor. Theres no film or anything like that covering the thermal pad. Just make sure theres no large particles of dust/dirt on either the pad or the processors heat spreader and you're ok.

I sold my sig for $50.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a P4 1.6A retail box and I didnt see any thermal compound in there.. Is it safe for the HS to go on there without any type of thermal compound?
the current P4 retail hsf are shipped with a black foil type thermal pad, this stuff should come right off and replaced with artic silver 3, roughly about the same size and paper thin.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"