Share Internet connection with two computers

G

I´m trying to help a family to get internet access with both of their machines. The have a ADSL connection (dynamic). The one that is working today has win 98 installed and the other has win 95. I really want to do this the easiest way. My thaught was to put in another NIC into the win 98 machine and simply connect the win 95 comp. with a crossed cable. How will this work (will it work at all??)?? I´ve found a program on download.com called proksi 1.0 that seems to work easily with this type of network. Do you suggest any other solution? No other computers will be connected in the future so just suggest any solution to the facts of today. Please help me !!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Sounds about right, Im not sure about proksi, but there a requite a few freebies available, the 2 pc's to "see each other" first, then have a go at sharing the net- ensure they have different computer names, different ip, SAME subnet, and SAME workgroup

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Also if you have Win 98SE it's got ICS (Internet COnnection Sharing) available. You would set your 95 machine up to "obtain IP address automatically" AKA DHCP.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>