I own a Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding that the
Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel. However,
my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA 2, with no
option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is UDMA 5.) I
called Dell and was told that there was a difference between the two
channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be for the hard
drive, but looking at the Intel specs suggsets otherwise. I was wondering if
someone might shed some light on this. Swapping drives on the secondary
channel (right now the Plextor is master and my DVD drive is slave using
cable select), changing cables, uninstalling/reinstalling the IDE channels
does not make a difference, and I've checked the drive itself and it is
capable of UDMA 4. Thanks.

Did you go into the BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO? If OFF, it
will work, but only in UDMA 2 mode. Did you also jumper the drive as Cable
Select?

Tom
"ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>I own a Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding that the
>Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel. However,
>my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA 2, with no
>option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is UDMA 5.) I
>called Dell and was told that there was a difference between the two
>channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be for the hard
>drive, but looking at the Intel specs suggsets otherwise. I was wondering
>if someone might shed some light on this. Swapping drives on the secondary
>channel (right now the Plextor is master and my DVD drive is slave using
>cable select), changing cables, uninstalling/reinstalling the IDE channels
>does not make a difference, and I've checked the drive itself and it is
>capable of UDMA 4. Thanks.

Yes to both, thanks.

> Did you go into the BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO? If OFF,
> it will work, but only in UDMA 2 mode. Did you also jumper the drive as
> Cable Select?
>
> Tom
> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>>I own a Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding that the
>>Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel.
>>However, my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA
>>2, with no option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is
>>UDMA 5.) I called Dell and was told that there was a difference between
>>the two channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be for
>>the hard drive, but looking at the Intel specs suggsets otherwise. I was
>>wondering if someone might shed some light on this. Swapping drives on
>>the secondary channel (right now the Plextor is master and my DVD drive is
>>slave using cable select), changing cables, uninstalling/reinstalling the
>>IDE channels does not make a difference, and I've checked the drive itself
>>and it is capable of UDMA 4. Thanks.

CD/DVD drives do not go higher than UDMA2 (33MBps). They are not capable of
reading/writing any faster than this, so any extra bandwidth would just go
to waste.

DELL, as usual, is just blowing smoke up your a**. They make this stuff up
as they go along. BOITH channels are capable of UDMA5. This has to be one
of THE dumbest excuses for support I have ever heard.

> Yes to both, thanks.

>> Did you go into the BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO? If OFF,
>> it will work, but only in UDMA 2 mode. Did you also jumper the drive as
>> Cable Select?
>>
>> Tom
>> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>>>I own a Dimension 8250, purchased in 4/03. It's my understanding that
>>>the Intel chipset (850E) supports UDMA 4 on the secondary IDE channel.
>>>However, my new Plextor 16x DVD burner shows up in Device Manager as UDMA
>>>2, with no option for UDMA 4. (My hard drive on the primary channel is
>>>UDMA 5.) I called Dell and was told that there was a difference between
>>>the two channels on my system, as the primary channel is assumed to be
>>>for the hard drive, but looking at the Intel specs suggsets otherwise. I
>>>was wondering if someone might shed some light on this. Swapping drives
>>>on the secondary channel (right now the Plextor is master and my DVD
>>>drive is slave using cable select), changing cables,
>>>uninstalling/reinstalling the IDE channels does not make a difference,
>>>and I've checked the drive itself and it is capable of UDMA 4. Thanks.

Thanks, though I guess I'm confused - the new Plextor 716A says it's capable
of UDMA 4.

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> CD/DVD drives do not go higher than UDMA2 (33MBps). They are not capable
> of reading/writing any faster than this, so any extra bandwidth would just
> go to waste.
>
> DELL, as usual, is just blowing smoke up your a**. They make this stuff
> up as they go along. BOITH channels are capable of UDMA5. This has to be
> one of THE dumbest excuses for support I have ever heard.
>
> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>> Yes to both, thanks.
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Did you go into the BIOS and change the drive from OFF to AUTO? If OFF,
>>> it will work, but only in UDMA 2 mode. Did you also jumper the drive as
>>> Cable Select?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message

It may be that you have to set the jumper on the back of the drive. Is
there a separate jumper on the back labeled DMA or something similar? I
remember a previous Plextor drive I owned had that jumper on it.

> Thanks, though I guess I'm confused - the new Plextor 716A says it's
> capable of UDMA 4.
>
> "Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>> CD/DVD drives do not go higher than UDMA2 (33MBps). They are not capable
>> of reading/writing any faster than this, so any extra bandwidth would
>> just go to waste.
>>
>> DELL, as usual, is just blowing smoke up your a**. They make this stuff
>> up as they go along. BOITH channels are capable of UDMA5. This has to
>> be one of THE dumbest excuses for support I have ever heard.
>>
>> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes to both, thanks.
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

Are you sure it said UDMA4 and not PIO Mode 4?

"ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, though I guess I'm confused - the new Plextor 716A says it's
> capable of UDMA 4.
>
> "Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>> CD/DVD drives do not go higher than UDMA2 (33MBps). They are not capable
>> of reading/writing any faster than this, so any extra bandwidth would
>> just go to waste.
>>
>> DELL, as usual, is just blowing smoke up your a**. They make this stuff
>> up as they go along. BOITH channels are capable of UDMA5. This has to
>> be one of THE dumbest excuses for support I have ever heard.
>>
>> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes to both, thanks.
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

I have it jumpered for Cable select. There is a DMA jumper, which is not
covered - that's supposed to mean that UDMA is enabled.
I may try one last experiment - use Master/Slave settings with Plextor
cable, rather than CSEL with Dell cable.

> It may be that you have to set the jumper on the back of the drive. Is
> there a separate jumper on the back labeled DMA or something similar? I
> remember a previous Plextor drive I owned had that jumper on it.
>
> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, though I guess I'm confused - the new Plextor 716A says it's
>> capable of UDMA 4.
>>
>> "Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> CD/DVD drives do not go higher than UDMA2 (33MBps). They are not
>>> capable of reading/writing any faster than this, so any extra bandwidth
>>> would just go to waste.
>>>
>>> DELL, as usual, is just blowing smoke up your a**. They make this stuff
>>> up as they go along. BOITH channels are capable of UDMA5. This has to
>>> be one of THE dumbest excuses for support I have ever heard.
>>>
>>> "ellen" <mybkpg@NOSPAMnewshosting.com> wrote in message

yep