eden

Champion
I fear they have not. I fear they have been victim of misunderstanding crowd. We all knew it's in H1 02, so where is it being late? If it had come out after August, I'd agree they're in deep trouble, but nope.

--
I can't beleive Dungeon Siege has a pitchfork weapon called "Hoe"! :lol:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Whats funny is no one recalls the northwood was 6 months late, as it stands now the tbred is at most 3 months late(according to some old roadmaps) but everyone whines about amd being late all the time, ::sighs::.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Whether it's late is debatable, AMD have never been exact about release dates other than indicating which quarter to expect the release to occur.

The question in my mind is whether the're releasing the Thoroughbred too late, given that the Hammer should (according to the roadmap) be released reasonably soon. The Hammer will use a new socket format, and it would surely be better to wait the extra few months to get the higher performance and the upgrade path.

Sex is great but its no substitite for the real thing.....

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The hammers release does not negate the upgrade path of socket a, remember the tbred and barton will be continued for a while as the budget line, and they are no slouches in their own right.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I agree, it would be better to wait for hammer. But AMD doesnt release just for the DIY and tech savvy niche that will be jumping on this chip. Unless Hammer becomes a bigger hit than the hoola hoop, people looking to upgrade their current rigs, and bestbuy shoppers that dont care about future upgrade possibilities (target buyer btw), will be buying tbreds.

I sold my sig for $50.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Well...even though Athlon will continue for some time..as the budget chip, AMD expects that half of their production will be the hammer family of chips within 18 months from NOW. So, like Intel, they plan a pretty quick transition to the new chip. Unlike Intel with the P3 and PS Celerons, though, they won't be discontinuing their Athlons within 18 months as far as I can tell.

The weird thing is AMD will have a chip (Athlon) as their budget desktop and notebook chip competing against the P$ Celeron, yet it will perform much closer to the P4 Northwood. Hammer will be competing against Northwood and supposedly will outperform it handily. When Prescott arrives, Hammer will supposedly perform about the same over all, but then AMD will be bringing in their own .09 micron shrink and we don't know what improvements that will bring. So, the end of 03 and into 04 is anyone's guess.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
what improvements will the prescott bring?, does anyone know what socket it will use or bus speed/cache size etc..? is it a whole new chip or just an improve P4? how far off is the prescott?

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Prescott will firstly be a die shrink to .09 micron. That should bring an additional 40-50% clockspeed increase. In addition, runor has i that Prescott will include larger cache---perhaps 1 meg. Other rumors include incorporation of 64 bit support ala X86-64, but I don't hold too tightly to them.

I suspect we'll get more clear information as to what core improvements Prexcott will have; just as we'll get more clarifications as to what the K8 will add in it's own .09 micron shrink which is also due next year.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I have an AXP1600 with an EPOX 8kha+ MB. Will i still be able to slam a Tbred in there when they arrive? Assuming a BIOS flash.

Its just that the MB manual states it will take a cpu up to 1.8ghz, but i'm thinking that it says that because there was no cpu clock higher than 1.8ghz when i purchased my MB.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i see no reason why not...
the kt266a and kt333 are modern boards with bios updates in the future keeping them on track.

its the old kt133a chipsets and the like that dont particularly like XP and beyond processors.

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Practically any motherboard which can run an axp will be able to run a tbred according to amd.

I cant see any reason why you couldnt.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Mat, I've shown you several times that Northwood was originally schedule for "by the end of the year", making it late by between 2 weeks and a couple months at the most.

Tbred was originally scheduled for Q1 02, making it 2 to 5 months late right now.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Why do you say Q1? Really, AMD's roadmaps from what I see have been firm saying H1. Besides all company roadmaps modify sometimes, but if the latest says so, it ain't late yet.

--
I can't beleive Dungeon Siege has a pitchfork weapon called "Hoe"! :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
I go by original roadmaps, not by the "Oops, it's not going to be released for another month" roadmaps. Otherwise, nothing is ever late, is it?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
AMD is delaying the CPU by one day for each person who asks this question in a forum :wink:

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Mat, I've shown you several times that Northwood was originally schedule for "by the end of the year", making it late by between 2 weeks and a couple months at the most.

Tbred was originally scheduled for Q1 02, making it 2 to 5 months late right now.

You showed me no such thing, and furthermore amd roadmaps havent said q1 for almost a year, you cannot use the first far seeing roadmap to set a due date for technology, everyone knows roadmaps change the further from the date you are, if you wanna use the earliest roadmaps then the northwood was some 9 months late iirc.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You showed me no such thing
We were chatting and I showed you links from Anandtech from the same week (I think it was September 2000), that showed Northwood and Tbred for the first time. Tbred was Q1 02, and NW was "before the end of 2001".

you cannot use the first far seeing roadmap to set a due date for technology
Yes you can. Otherwise it becomes a game of "Well, we're having major problems, so we'll just change the schedule and pretend nothing is wrong.".

if you wanna use the earliest roadmaps then the northwood was some 9 months late iirc.
2 weeks at the least, the most is open to interpretation (2 months at the most, the way I see it).

EDIT:

Anandtech, <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1358&p=5" target="_new">November 18th 2000</A>:

By the end of 2001 2GHz will be the resting place for the Pentium 4 using the Willamette core, however we will see the introduction of a new Pentium 4 core before the year’s end.

Anandtech, <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1362&p=4" target="_new">November 21st 2000</A>

The first quarter of 2002 will be met with the debut of the fifth Athlon core since the processor’s introduction late last year.

Yes, it says Thoroughbred and .13, but it's hard to quote it and have it make sense without taking up too much room.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 05/28/02 03:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
We were chatting and I showed you links from Anandtech from the same week (I think it was September 2000), that showed Northwood and Tbred for the first time. Tbred was Q1 02, and NW was "before the end of 2001".

Anand was a rumor, remember, I distinctly remember leaving that conversation under the impression northwood was 3-6 months late.

Yes you can. Otherwise it becomes a game of "Well, we're having major problems, so we'll just change the schedule and pretend nothing is wrong.".

To a point, except the further out the roadmap the less precise the prediction comes, so if amd changed its roadmap to 2h02 for tbred 2 months ago, that would be a big deal and shady, but its been 2q02 for at least 6 months, remember, everyone in the industry knows roadmaps change alot, so 12 month old roadmaps are not a promise of release, nor are they a firm schedule.

Oh and btw, the mobile tbred has been shipping for almost 2 months now, so even going by anands rumor 8 months ago its at most 1 month late.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, but roadmaps never differentiate between mobile and desktop, so the core itself is at most 1 month late according to the anandrumor from 8 months ago.

FatBurger

Illustrious
20 months ago, it was November 2000, not 2001. All the AMD roadmaps I've seen have spots for mobile, desktop and server. The dates usually aren't different, though.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_3532_1387^608,00.html" target="_new">Example of AMD roadmap</A>