Sign in with
Your question

Everything closes, and then won't let me open anything.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 1, 2013 4:26:16 PM

Ok, so it's been fine for about 2 years, and now, at what seems like random times, it'll close all current open programs. No slow down, just closes everything. I always expect to hear the windows shutdown 'Ding' as it happens.

Anyway, when I try to open any program, it just dosen't do anything. The icon highlights for about 5 seconds, and then goes away. Apart from when i open documents, control panel, ect, It'll say EXPLORER.EXE error, And it'll randomly pop up with random applications saying about not running with current theme. I'm guessing it thinks i'm in basic, but i'm not.

I'm currently running 64 bit Windows.

It all seems to have happened after i installed the game 'Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army' yesterday. (Steam game)

EDIT - Here are some of the error messages that pop up. http://i.imgur.com/4iMlC4Y.png

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

More about : closes open

a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 5:04:17 PM

what happens when you uninstall the game?
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 5:21:49 PM

You have a virus, a very difficult to remove one, try safe mode and run some scans, otherwise you will have to do a format and reinstall. I was able to solve it after several non-destructive reinstalls and then a final full install.
Related resources
March 1, 2013 5:38:21 PM

Well, ive Restored to a few days ago, Lets see if this is anything to go buy. I believe its something to do with basic mode, as whenever i'd run the game it'll ask for basic mode, and the game is extremely buggy on nvidia cards. I'll report back.
March 1, 2013 5:39:22 PM

chugot9218 said:
You have a virus, a very difficult to remove one, try safe mode and run some scans, otherwise you will have to do a format and reinstall. I was able to solve it after several non-destructive reinstalls and then a final full install.

Three different Anti-virus' didn't detect anything. Ill keep trying on the virus side though.
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 5:48:53 PM

chugot9218 said:

did this download and install with said game?
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 5:53:55 PM

No, I should have mentioned that it only sounded a lot like an issue I had, almost identical in fact, but it may not be. When I was finally able run a virus scan, I received no hits, it was not until I finally was able to get a non-destructive install to go twice that I tracked it down in one of the Windows.old folders. I was mid school project when all of a sudden all my programs decided they were closing without saving whether I liked it or not. On reboot, anytime I clicked on anything my cursor spun and looked like it was launching, but then returned to the pointer and I received no results.
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 5:57:56 PM

Also, I did not realize it was a Steam game, I had seen some sketchy looking game with a similar name somewhere, so I assumed it was a third-party/independent/web game. Still would surprise me that a Steam game install would cause these kind of issues.
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 5:58:02 PM

Also, I did not realize it was a Steam game, I had seen some sketchy looking game with a similar name somewhere, so I assumed it was a third-party/independent/web game. Still would surprise me that a Steam game install would cause these kind of issues.
March 1, 2013 6:10:59 PM

chugot9218 said:

The thing is, this game has only just been released. And Steam have been slacking on checking their products recently. But i don't believe its a virus, more of some sort of corrupt files from switching to basic mode. I've system restored now, and hopefully it'll work now. Fingers Crossed. Also, that is identical of whats was happening.
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2013 6:14:30 PM

if you have your system disc you might want to try a "repair" install.

it will leave your current files intact but replace what might be missing in the opsys.
!