Boot stops at Windows is Starting Up Screen

Hi,

After much trouble, I discovered that the boot drive on my sister's
system is kaput. I was able to use Drive Image 7 to copy the 2
partitions of that disk C+D to another (larger drive) the rest of that
drive is currently unallocated.

However, when I goto to boot, BIOS setup is fine. Then the black XP
screen shows, with the blow scroll of SP2. The mouse pointer shows in
the middle of the screen then the blue screen with the little XP logo
shows up. However, it never says "windows is starting up, just sits
there.

Safe mode goes to the screen with safe mode all around and then sits.

I tried recovery console: fixboot, fixmbr and boot cfg /rebuild with no
help. I cannot find an option for a repair install that does not
require re-installation of programs as I think I've seen mentioned
somewhere...

What am I doing wrong? I thought this was the point and reason of being
for backup programs like Drive Image.

Thanks for all your helps, guys.
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

"Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| After much trouble, I discovered that the boot drive on my sister's
| system is kaput. I was able to use Drive Image 7 to copy the 2
| partitions of that disk C+D to another (larger drive) the rest of that
| drive is currently unallocated.
|
| However, when I goto to boot, BIOS setup is fine. Then the black XP
| screen shows, with the blow scroll of SP2. The mouse pointer shows in
| the middle of the screen then the blue screen with the little XP logo
| shows up. However, it never says "windows is starting up, just sits
| there.
|
| Safe mode goes to the screen with safe mode all around and then sits.
|
| I tried recovery console: fixboot, fixmbr and boot cfg /rebuild with no
| help. I cannot find an option for a repair install that does not
| require re-installation of programs as I think I've seen mentioned
| somewhere...
|
| What am I doing wrong? I thought this was the point and reason of being
| for backup programs like Drive Image.
|
| Thanks for all your helps, guys.
| --
| Cynthia
| I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

You might try a repair install following the instructions here.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

I have experienced the same before, and tried many things to
eventually make it work ... however, that was some time ago so can't
be certain exactly what fixed it, but here are some ideas:

Make sure the drive's c: partition is marked "Active" ... I believe
that this is an option that may be selected before starting the drive
copy, not sure if DI can set it after the copy, but I know for sure
Partition Magic (and a working copy of XP) can.

Don't try to boot with the old drive still in the system, even if it
has been moved to a different IDE channel.

Also, just for the record, for some other problems I have had to
reinstall XP on top of itself at least 3 times on 2 systems. To my
amazement, no programs had to be reinstalled any of those times, and
one of the systems had a LOT of installed programs. However, some
settings did get set back to default.

before you try the repair/install consider this... your symptons sound like
a bug that comes from installing sp2 on systems with a particular processor.
did these same symptons occur on the original drive that you cloned? had
you just installed the windows xp service pack 2 update? if so then read
more about it here along with the fix...
also lots of information about this particular bug is found here...

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:h8Kgd.71686$5v2.58429@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> |
> | After much trouble, I discovered that the boot drive on my sister's
> | system is kaput. I was able to use Drive Image 7 to copy the 2
> | partitions of that disk C+D to another (larger drive) the rest of that
> | drive is currently unallocated.
> |
> | However, when I goto to boot, BIOS setup is fine. Then the black XP
> | screen shows, with the blow scroll of SP2. The mouse pointer shows in
> | the middle of the screen then the blue screen with the little XP logo
> | shows up. However, it never says "windows is starting up, just sits
> | there.
> |
> | Safe mode goes to the screen with safe mode all around and then sits.
> |
> | I tried recovery console: fixboot, fixmbr and boot cfg /rebuild with no
> | help. I cannot find an option for a repair install that does not
> | require re-installation of programs as I think I've seen mentioned
> | somewhere...
> |
> | What am I doing wrong? I thought this was the point and reason of being
> | for backup programs like Drive Image.
> |
> | Thanks for all your helps, guys.
> | --
> | Cynthia
> | I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com
> |

> You might try a repair install following the instructions here.

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Thank you all for your replies. I tried many things:

Repair install. worked and no programs were deleted, but... Windows
was now on drive E and there was no C. And it was only OK until next
boot, when it hung in the smae place, except it noe actually showed the
words "windows is now starting".

What actually worked:

I found a command line that would be used when booting to Partition
Magic 8 floppies (b4 disc 2 CTRL C, type pqmagic /ifc, insert disc 2,
enter) This tells PM to ignore errors which stopped it before. Then I
used to PM to copy the 2 partitions in DOS and disconnected the original
drive before booting - it's all OK now, so far.

To Christopher Muto, I read the page you mentioned with interest and
have saved it for future reference, thank you. However, I installed SP2
first thing upon the new install and the old drive worked fine (I
thought) for over a week. It was only when I wanted to boot to the new
drive after copying the original drive that the hang up began.

I am constantly amazed by and grateful for the patience and generosity
of those in the group, who answer (sometimes silly) questions from
people who have no hope to return the favour.

Thanks very much.