Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I get BIG files onto the Palm V?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
May 8, 2005 5:32:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

How do I get BIG files onto the Palm V?

I need to put a 1.2MB map file onto my 2MB Palm V.

I don't have any cables or cradle, so I'm
putting the map onto a flash card, loading
it onto my Palm m505 then beaming it to the
Palm V. This works for a 900KB file, but the
1.2MB file fails on "not enough memory".
The manual verifies that I need 2X filesize free RAM to do this.

Is there a way around this limitation?
I'm gonna do this once then leave it alone, so a convoluted
procedure would work fine.

Can I use the Palm Desktop to solve my problem?

I'd hate to go to the expense of buying a hot sync cable
then find it didn't help.

Thanks,
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

More about : big files palm

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:02:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

mike wrote:
>
> How do I get BIG files onto the Palm V?
>
> I need to put a 1.2MB map file onto my 2MB Palm V.
>
> I don't have any cables or cradle, so I'm
> putting the map onto a flash card, loading
> it onto my Palm m505 then beaming it to the
> Palm V. This works for a 900KB file, but the
> 1.2MB file fails on "not enough memory".
> The manual verifies that I need 2X filesize free RAM to do this.
>
> Is there a way around this limitation?
> I'm gonna do this once then leave it alone, so a convoluted
> procedure would work fine.
>
> Can I use the Palm Desktop to solve my problem?
>
> I'd hate to go to the expense of buying a hot sync cable
> then find it didn't help.

While I couldn't tell you about earlier versions, later
versions of Palm's software includes "Quick Install,"
which allows you to send files directly to an expansion
card.

To use this, however, you *will* need some type of cable.

Notan
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:36:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 08 May 2005 01:32:48 -0700, mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

>How do I get BIG files onto the Palm V?
>
>I need to put a 1.2MB map file onto my 2MB Palm V.
>
>I don't have any cables or cradle, so I'm
>putting the map onto a flash card, loading
>it onto my Palm m505 then beaming it to the
>Palm V. This works for a 900KB file, but the
>1.2MB file fails on "not enough memory".
>The manual verifies that I need 2X filesize free RAM to do this.
>
>Is there a way around this limitation?
>I'm gonna do this once then leave it alone, so a convoluted
>procedure would work fine.
>
>Can I use the Palm Desktop to solve my problem?
>
>I'd hate to go to the expense of buying a hot sync cable
>then find it didn't help.
>
>Thanks,
>mike


I think there is some sort of compression program called zboxz or
something like that. You could put your map file on the SD card, with
the zboxz program, use the 505 to compress it, then beam the
compressed file to your palm V.

It's so crazy, it just might work!

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
-----------------------------------------------------
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA
freeze@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick
Related resources
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:12:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

You could try finding yourself a computer with a IR port, install Palm
desktop there and do a hot sync. These are even some quick installer
out there that should support IR sync with out installing software,
can't remember the names.

This assumes the file is a format the palm understands: prc, pdb.
Zip will not be hotsynced FWIK.
In addition you need some time, because 1,2 Mb over Infrared is faster
than serial, but still slow.

hth

best regards

Olaf
May 9, 2005 4:12:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Olaf Greck wrote:
> You could try finding yourself a computer with a IR port, install Palm
> desktop there and do a hot sync. These are even some quick installer
> out there that should support IR sync with out installing software,
> can't remember the names.
>
> This assumes the file is a format the palm understands: prc, pdb.
> Zip will not be hotsynced FWIK.
> In addition you need some time, because 1,2 Mb over Infrared is faster
> than serial, but still slow.
>
> hth
>
> best regards
>
> Olaf
>
>
>

Thanks,
RS had a closeout on a USB to Serial converter with a PALM V plug on the
end. Works like a champ and solves my charging problem too.
After playing with it, I think the 2MB of ram is just too small to hold
enough maps to be practical. I live on the boundary and really need two
maps at once. May have to try the ram chip upgrade.
Once again, a free PDA turns out to be more hassle than it's worth ;-(
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:55:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

mike wrote:
> Olaf Greck wrote:
>> You could try finding yourself a computer with a IR port, install
>> Palm desktop there and do a hot sync. These are even some quick
>> installer out there that should support IR sync with out installing
>> software, can't remember the names.
>>
>> This assumes the file is a format the palm understands: prc, pdb.
>> Zip will not be hotsynced FWIK.
>> In addition you need some time, because 1,2 Mb over Infrared is
>> faster than serial, but still slow.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> Olaf
>>
>>
>>
>
> Thanks,
> RS had a closeout on a USB to Serial converter with a PALM V plug on
> the end. Works like a champ and solves my charging problem too.
> After playing with it, I think the 2MB of ram is just too small to
> hold enough maps to be practical. I live on the boundary and really
> need two maps at once. May have to try the ram chip upgrade.
> Once again, a free PDA turns out to be more hassle than it's worth ;-(
> mike

The Palm V is just too limited in RAM to do what you want unless...it
has enough available ROM space that you can copy smaller apps to in
order to make more free RAM for the maps. This works on the Vx, I am
*assuming* it will work on the V. I use JackFlash to manage the copying
to ROM. I do not know if this is compatible with the V, if it is still
available, nor do I know how much ROM space is available on the V.

Q
May 10, 2005 11:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>>Olaf Greck wrote:
>>
>>>You could try finding yourself a computer with a IR port, install
>>>Palm desktop there and do a hot sync. These are even some quick
>>>installer out there that should support IR sync with out installing
>>>software, can't remember the names.
>>>
>>>This assumes the file is a format the palm understands: prc, pdb.
>>>Zip will not be hotsynced FWIK.
>>>In addition you need some time, because 1,2 Mb over Infrared is
>>>faster than serial, but still slow.
>>>
>>>hth
>>>
>>>best regards
>>>
>>>Olaf
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Thanks,
>>RS had a closeout on a USB to Serial converter with a PALM V plug on
>>the end. Works like a champ and solves my charging problem too.
>>After playing with it, I think the 2MB of ram is just too small to
>>hold enough maps to be practical. I live on the boundary and really
>>need two maps at once. May have to try the ram chip upgrade.
>>Once again, a free PDA turns out to be more hassle than it's worth ;-(
>>mike
>
>
> The Palm V is just too limited in RAM to do what you want unless...it
> has enough available ROM space that you can copy smaller apps to in
> order to make more free RAM for the maps. This works on the Vx, I am
> *assuming* it will work on the V. I use JackFlash to manage the copying
> to ROM. I do not know if this is compatible with the V, if it is still
> available, nor do I know how much ROM space is available on the V.
>
> Q
>
Thanks,
Jackflash would not give me enough extra memory to get two maps on the
machine. I'll just have to make do with one.

I would like to experiment with jackflash just for fun, but it's cost
prohibitive.
Jackflash costs more than the free (incompatible with every hardware
accessory) PalmV is worth.
Older PDAs are cheaper than dirt these days. I wouldn't be messing
with Palms at all if I could read my Jornada 548 screen in the daylight.
PalmV and m505 screens are very good for that.

I got the impression that flashpro used to be free, but couldn't find
any place to download it. Ditto for the OS 4.1 upgrade.
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:58:19 -0700 mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
> Quaoar wrote:
>> ...
>> has enough available ROM space that you can copy smaller apps to in
>> order to make more free RAM for the maps. This works on the Vx, I am
>> *assuming* it will work on the V. I use JackFlash to manage the copying
>> to ROM. I do not know if this is compatible with the V, if it is still
>> available, nor do I know how much ROM space is available on the V.
>>
>> Q
>>
> Thanks,
> Jackflash would not give me enough extra memory to get two maps on the
> machine. I'll just have to make do with one.

Yah, you need a Vx

flashpro isn't/wasn't free. if it was ever free it was a heck of a
long time ago.
May 11, 2005 8:51:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Wayne S. Mery wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:58:19 -0700 mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Quaoar wrote:
>>
>>>...
>>>has enough available ROM space that you can copy smaller apps to in
>>>order to make more free RAM for the maps. This works on the Vx, I am
>>>*assuming* it will work on the V. I use JackFlash to manage the copying
>>>to ROM. I do not know if this is compatible with the V, if it is still
>>>available, nor do I know how much ROM space is available on the V.
>>>
>>>Q
>>>
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jackflash would not give me enough extra memory to get two maps on the
>>machine. I'll just have to make do with one.
>
>
> Yah, you need a Vx
>
> flashpro isn't/wasn't free. if it was ever free it was a heck of a
> long time ago.

I don't really care how long ago, just need a place to download the
older free version. Guess this tells you how bored I am right now ;-)
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
!