Help me put together a P4 box.

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
My last Intel system was a p3 450 and was very pleased with the results. So now I'm thinking on replacing/upgrading my current AXP 1900+ to a p4 system.
Here's what I had in mind so far:
-P4 1.6A or 1.8A
-Abit BD7II-Raid
-2x 256mb Samsung PC2700
-2x WD 1200JB (raid-0)
-AIW R8500 128mb (mainly for TV-in)
-HP 8/4/24x CDRW
-EG465P-VE

I know at stock speeds my AXP performs a lot better but I hear that alot of 1.6A's are overclocking to 2.1+ghz easily. Any suggestions?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I see nothing wrong with your choice, as for overclocking both 1.6A and 1.8A are good and only need a simple fsb change to 133 in the bios + a voltage increment and you're set.

the only thing I would suggest is to use artic silver instead of the default thermal pad.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It's a good system but I recommend the Abit BG7 or Asus P4S533 instead. The P4S533 is probably the better choice with Samsung DDR RAM. You can run the RAM at 400MHz+. At that speed, it will surely be faster.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Why do you need anything faster than an AXP1900 right now? What do you do w/ the PC? And whats with the slow CDRW?

I sold my sig for $50.

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
The CDRW I listed is what I have right now (slow but is fine for now). I'm planning on using my watercooling setup on the p4 which will keep it very cool. It's still up in the air if I'll do this upgrade because the more I think about it, I probably should wait until the t-bred is released (if ever, which is another reason why I'm thinking about switching back to an Intel based system).

I'm just disapointed in my current setup right now. Because my Soltek Sl75drv2 board is limiting my oc ability and the lack of any thermo protection. I have an unlocked 1900+ that can only run stable at 138x12.5(think I can do 145 with only 1 stick of ram). If you say that I won't notice that much of a difference, I guess the best thing for me to do is to upgrade my mobo and memory and wait until Q4 of this year.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I'm just disapointed in my current setup right now. Because my Soltek Sl75drv2 board is limiting my oc ability and the lack of any thermo protection. I have an unlocked 1900+ that can only run stable at 138x12.5(think I can do 145 with only 1 stick of ram). If you say that I won't notice that much of a difference, I guess the best thing for me to do is to upgrade my mobo and memory and wait until Q4 of this year.

Thats exactly what you should do, you wont notice much (if any) of a boost from a 1.6a, you should get a 166fsb motherboard and some pc2700 ddr, then run your current axp at 166fsb(around 2100+ speeds you should be able to get depending on your hsf).

Then in 6 months when you feel the need for an upgrade, get a tbred and overclock that to 2.3 ghz and or beyond, that will be quite a good system, and no money wasted.

Plus, when you get the tbreed you can put the axp into your old mobo and have 2 systems practically.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
What exactly do you do w/ the computer though? I mean, even come Q4 that PC will still be able to handle almost anything you throw at it.....Youre water cooling and gonna swap out the mobo for one w/ thermo protection? Its not worth it....Just wait a while longer, and upgrade other things like that slow ass burner first....If you just want to upgrade and OC for kicks, which is what it sounds like.....go for it, get all the 1.6A's you want.

I sold my sig for $50.

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I do a lot of different things with my computer. I do a lot of video editing, programming, surfing, games, VCR, and sometimes run it as a server for CS. I know this system is fine how it is, but like you said, I do it mainly for kicks.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The new Iwill 850E board has gotten good reviews, but I didn't buy one because the stupid IDE slots are at the bottom of the mobo, and I have a huge tower case, and I plan to put my CD DRives at the top. Even a 2 foot IDE cable barely reaches.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Are you the one who called Raystonn an advertisement for intel? Isn't this kind of double faced?

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Wtf are you talking about, he suggested upgrading his current mobo and keeping the 1900+, not me.

He asked if it would be a good idea to buy a 1.6a and overclock oit, to whichI told him he probably wouldnt notice the speed upgrade.

If he had asked if he should get rid of his 1900+ and get a 2100+ I would have given him the exact same advice.

How is what I said two faced?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm pretty sure in the "where is Raystonn" thread, you said Raystonn was a walking advert for Intel. From my view, you appeared to coming from the same position, but the opposite side of the spectrum.

If you didn't say that, my bad.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Your view would be wrong then, read this thread and understand why.

I did not suggest anything untill he made the suggestion.

His first question was would going to a 2.1-2.4ghz northwood be a signifigant improvement over his 1900+, I told him it would not, and it is not.

HE then suggested getting a faster amd motherboard, to which I agreed, and added he could upgrade later to a tbred.

I made no, and make no, amd advertisements, and if he had say a 1ghz tbird, I would have advised him to get the p4, it will be a cold day in hell when you see rayston advise someone buy an athlon, I take offense you would compare my comments here to his one sided devotion to intel and insinuate I am two faced.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I agree, just get a better mobo and RAM, there's no reason for you to go with a P4 unless you simply have money to burn and want to go Intel for whatever reason.

Don't get the 8500 AIW, get a normal 8500 and a good TV tuner and save some cash.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>