DMG II - nice ripoff

Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

More about nice ripoff

    Alien mind control rays made Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> write:
    > Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?

    karl rove?

    --
    \^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
    \ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "drow" <drow@bin.sh> wrote in message
    > Alien mind control rays made Malachias Invictus
    > <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> write:
    >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    >
    > karl rove?

    Heh.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:37:00 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?

    You mean the one that looks like Sauron's burning eye from the LotR
    movies?

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    "Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:37:00 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    > <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    >
    >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    >
    > You mean the one that looks like Sauron's burning eye from the LotR
    > movies?

    No, but that makes 2 ripoffs from the same source.

    --

    Alien mind control rays made Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> write:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:37:00 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    > <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    >
    >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    >
    > You mean the one that looks like Sauron's burning eye from the LotR
    > movies?

    over a pleasantly wooded outcropping of rock? even sauron gets out on
    a vacation once in a while, i suppose. likes to go camping, do some
    fishing, you know. loves yosemite park, except for the crowds.

    --
    \^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
    \ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    // \ X-Windows: A mistake carried out to perfection.
    // \_\ -- Dude from DPAK

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?

    My kids got it for me for fathers day. It's not bad but
    it doesn't really have anything I need. I noticed saurons
    eye

    Did anyone notice the pictures of the buildings that are
    supposed to be in Saltmarsh? The gigantic temple of
    Boccob? Isn't Saltmarsh supposed to be a fishing village?

    I guess it has grown considerably since U1....

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:25:13 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > "Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:37:00 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    > > <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    > >
    > >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    > >
    > > You mean the one that looks like Sauron's burning eye from the LotR
    > > movies?
    >
    > No, but that makes 2 ripoffs from the same source.

    I don't have the book, so I don't know what the other one might be - I
    was just cruising through the gallery on the website, and it doesn't
    give page numbers. Most of the art looked generic enough that I could
    claim rip-offs of almost all of it from somewhere. There's one in
    particular that looked like a rip-off of an Elmore, though minaly from
    the horse's pose.

    --

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Keith Davies" <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > So far, I give it a 'meh'. Unearthed Arcana was much more interesting
    > > to me.
    >
    > Exactly. It has some nice stuff, but nothing to get excited about.

    It does appear in large part to be some stuff that was taken from
    the 2nd Edition softcover "Creative Campaigning". Especially the
    stuff in the first two chapters on how to run a game, manage the
    different needs of players, how to deal with disruptive players.

    Some sound advice for a novice DM, but with a $40 price tag...

    There is no free lunch...

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:09:06 +1200, Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:37:00 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    ><capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    >
    >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    >
    >You mean the one that looks like Sauron's burning eye from the LotR
    >movies?

    Does every floating burning thing have to be a ripoff of the Eye of Sauron from
    LOTR? :)

    It's not a cat's eye, and there's no tower, just a cliff. There's no army of bad
    guys, no active volcano, no barren landscape, and it's not explicitly clear
    whether the sky is being darkened by volcanic ash.

    What's that saying of Einstein's(?), the most creative people are the ones that
    can hide their sources the best?

    --

    Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

    "Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
    do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
    when they're out of their depth."
    -Jeff Heikkinen

    "Steven Howell" <showell@donteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:09:06 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
    > <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:37:00 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
    >><capt_malachias@hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page
    >>> 85?
    >>
    >>You mean the one that looks like Sauron's burning eye from the LotR
    >>movies?

    > Does every floating burning thing have to be a ripoff of the Eye of Sauron
    > from
    > LOTR? :)

    Only if another picture features Grima and Theoden.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    You noticed that they said that they omitted the details of U1,
    U2, and U3 from the Saltmarsh chapter, but....

    Spoilers for module U1 (not everyone has played it)!

    Ned Shakeshaft, listed as the leader of the assassins guild, was
    the assassin who is found tied up upstairs in the haunted house
    in U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. It said he barely
    survived an encounter with some adventurers...

    Not in our campaign. A patch of yellow mold on a cape in a
    wardrobe killed most of the party (bad, bad saving throw rolls)
    and he backstabbed the cleric when he knelt to pray for us!

    And the winner, with a TPK, Ned Shakeshaft!!!

    decalod85 <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    >
    > My kids got it for me for fathers day. It's not bad but
    > it doesn't really have anything I need.

    I bought it myself a couple of days ago. I haven't had time to read it
    in detail, but the bits I've looked at so far aren't *that* inspiring.

    It looks like something of a grab bag of things, grouped by theme
    ('magical places', 'semi-generic characters' (cultist, bounty hunter,
    etc.), and so on). The advice sections look reasonably sound -- I
    didn't see anything that looked like a bad idea or anything. OTOH, I
    as I said, I haven't had time to read it in detail.

    So far, I give it a 'meh'. Unearthed Arcana was much more interesting
    to me.

    Keith

    "Keith Davies" <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in message
    > decalod85 <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >>> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page
    >>> 85?
    >>
    >> My kids got it for me for fathers day. It's not bad but
    >> it doesn't really have anything I need.
    >
    > I bought it myself a couple of days ago. I haven't had time to read it
    > in detail, but the bits I've looked at so far aren't *that* inspiring.
    >
    > It looks like something of a grab bag of things, grouped by theme
    > ('magical places', 'semi-generic characters' (cultist, bounty hunter,
    > etc.), and so on). The advice sections look reasonably sound -- I
    > didn't see anything that looked like a bad idea or anything. OTOH, I
    > as I said, I haven't had time to read it in detail.
    >
    > So far, I give it a 'meh'. Unearthed Arcana was much more interesting
    > to me.

    Exactly. It has some nice stuff, but nothing to get excited about.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    decalod85 <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >> "Keith Davies" <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > So far, I give it a 'meh'. Unearthed Arcana was much more interesting
    >> > to me.
    >>
    >> Exactly. It has some nice stuff, but nothing to get excited about.
    >
    > It does appear in large part to be some stuff that was taken from
    > the 2nd Edition softcover "Creative Campaigning". Especially the
    > stuff in the first two chapters on how to run a game, manage the
    > different needs of players, how to deal with disruptive players.
    >
    > Some sound advice for a novice DM, but with a $40 price tag...

    I was thinking almost exactly the same thing last night.

    The excerpts online made me interested. I suspect that had I had more
    time to look it over in the FLGS (my wife was in a rush) I probably
    would've left it there with the *first* DMG3.5 (I use RSRD and never saw
    a need for DMG3.5).

    I'm not saying it's a bad book. As decalod said, for a novice DM
    there's some good advice there. There's some good material there if you
    need ideas, or things to do... but I've been playing this game long
    enough that it doesn't offer a whole bunch to me. DMG II expands some
    on the material in the DMG, it offers to decent advice, but I didn't see
    anything terribly groundbreaking in it, it sticks largely to expanding
    on core material.

    UA got a much better reaction from me, and is much more useful overall.
    And entirely OGL, which is cool.

    Keith

    In article <42bca5bf$0$40901$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net>, drow@bin.sh
    wrote:
    >Alien mind control rays made Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com>
    write:

    >> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page 85?
    >
    >karl rove?

    Oooh, Angry Left bogieman #1.

    --
    It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
    the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

    "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
    > In article <42bca5bf$0$40901$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net>, drow@bin.sh
    > wrote:
    >>Alien mind control rays made Malachias Invictus
    >><capt_malachias@hotmail.com>
    > write:
    >
    >>> Can anyone guess where they got the idea for the piece of art on page
    >>> 85?
    >>
    >>karl rove?
    >
    > Oooh, Angry Left bogieman #1.

    Nope, that's Dick "the insurgency is in its last throes" Cheney.

    --

    Malachias Invictus wrote:
    > "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <42bca5bf$0$40901$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net>, drow@bin.sh
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Alien mind control rays made Malachias Invictus
    >>><capt_malachias@hotmail.com>
    >>
    >>write:

    >>>karl rove?
    >>
    >>Oooh, Angry Left bogieman #1.
    >

    > Nope, that's Dick "the insurgency is in its last throes" Cheney.

    And I do mean "Dick" Cheney.

Games Video Games