Slower Performance due to Raid 1?

burnside

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I've had my Dell Precision T1500 with Raid 1 a couple years now. The past few months I've noticed the performance/speed slow down. I'm trying to troubleshoot what may be causing the slower speeds. My first guess is maybe the Raid 1 setup is finally taking it's toll? What would be the best way to see what the culprit may be?

Here are the specs on the machine:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
4GB RAM
2 x 500GB HDs (Raid 1)

Thanks!

Solution
RAID1 should not decrease performance in any way unless one of the hard drives is failing. If anything, it can improve read times.

Don't be tempted to run a CHKDSK. It can potentially destroy the RAID data patterns.

When you say speed has slowed down - in what way? Data transfer speeds, start-up speed, general usage etc? Could well just be you machine getting bloated with software, old drivers, registry corruption etc. It happens to all machines over time. I like to re-install my machines at least once a year just to tidy up!

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
RAID1 should not decrease performance in any way unless one of the hard drives is failing. If anything, it can improve read times.

Don't be tempted to run a CHKDSK. It can potentially destroy the RAID data patterns.

When you say speed has slowed down - in what way? Data transfer speeds, start-up speed, general usage etc? Could well just be you machine getting bloated with software, old drivers, registry corruption etc. It happens to all machines over time. I like to re-install my machines at least once a year just to tidy up!

Solution

burnside

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I thought RAID 0 was fast, but RAID 1 was slower because of the double writes.

I'd say general usage is where speed has slowed down. If I do a re-install, is there any thing I should know ahead of time because the PC has a RAID 1 config? I've done re-installs before, but they did not have any RAID configurations.